Venice with Tui

There is a water bus station 5 mins walk from the cruise dock and you can be in the main square under your own steam in under 30 mins after strolling down the gangway.  Pick your route and you can sail up and down the grand canal to your hearts content for a few Euros, Venice is very compact and great for exploring on your own if you are able to walk. It's probably the easiest of any cruise ports to do DIY

• Like 1

You can buy a day ticket for the Vaporetos (water buses). It costs  €20 , Route 1 for the grand canal

Use the people mover to go to Piazza Roma which is the hub for the water buses

Walking is also easy in Venice - get a good map

This site has loads of info

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

• Like 1

Think it was called something different when we did it, it was totally water based round all the islands but not along the GC we did however really enjoy it as like you we have been many times and was looking for something different to see. Sorry if this is not what you are looking for but we would recommend it anyway. 😊

Are you doing the Adriatic Affair cruise Jimphil ? Myself and my husband are booked on the Celebration 9th May from Dubrovnik. I was looking at the shore excursions as well as we have never been to Venice or any of the other places on the itinerary for that matter. I was looking at the  “Gondola and St Marks half day” tour but after reading Thommoscotland and Davecttr comments on how easy it is to get around  I might reconsider. 

Hope you get the right answer to your question. 

11 minutes ago, Tayene said:

Are you doing the Adriatic Affair cruise Jimphil ? Myself and my husband are booked on the Celebration 9th May from Dubrovnik. I was looking at the shore excursions as well as we have never been to Venice or any of the other places on the itinerary for that matter. I was looking at the  “Gondola and St Marks half day” tour but after reading Thommoscotland and Davecttr comments on how easy it is to get around  I might reconsider. 

Hope you get the right answer to your question. 

It's  a joy to just wander around Venice, if you get lost you can soon find your way. If you want to take a gondola they are much cheaper in the morning and also if you get one in the back streets it is much cheaper than taking one at St.Marks or the Grand Canal. Definitely  worth pricing around, our gondolier even sang to us!

• Like 1

Wow your first trip to the Adriatic our favourite all great poc. As Dronnygirl says Venice is great on your own but queues on public transport can be long suggest as its your first time you go for Venice on your own from the ship you can do half or full day and you leave from the ship and have a guaranteed pick up place and time for your return have a great cruise. 😎 

• Like 1

We will be in Venice off Explorer 2 in August. It’s our first time in Venice so planning on the full day gondola and St Marks square excursion. I have arthritis in my knees so walk slowly ... I’ve just noticed that it says because of a 20 minute walk on cobbles it’s not suitable for people with mobility issues. Can anyone offer an opinion on whether I should give it a miss ? ... is it likely to be a route March or stroll ? 

When walking in Venice you inevitably have to navigate some bridges which could be a problem for you, also depending when you go and the weather they may have the wooden walkways down because of flooding again this could be a problem depending on your ability. 

The Marella launch will drop you off very close to St Mark's Square, so you could do the Doges Palace, which you can book in advance, to avoid waiting and the Cathedral - again you can pre book this too. You can just walk at your own pace and if you have had enough just get launch back to ship.