Formal nights

Vampiress88

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, Bazrat said:

I notice the few on here do not wish the formal nights to continue,than become dress police complaining how there fellow guests dress using that as a excuse to stop it.

But that is exactly the point I was making. You either have a formal night or you don't, which means you either enforce the dress code or you don't. I've seen increasingly more people in the MDR not wearing jackets or ties when the dress code clearly states it is formal. If you're not going to enforce the code, with no exceptions, then do away with it. Then people can just choose to dress how they please.

1 hour ago, vwgolf said:

But that is exactly the point I was making. You either have a formal night or you don't, which means you either enforce the dress code or you don't. I've seen increasingly more people in the MDR not wearing jackets or ties when the dress code clearly states it is formal. If you're not going to enforce the code, with no exceptions, then do away with it. Then people can just choose to dress how they please.

Sorry should have linked my reply there were a couple of posters saying that fellow cruisers were looking shabby,that’s what I took exception to for me I read the t &c and accepted them formal nights being one,if some people choose to ignore them then they should to be told either dress correctly or leave.

3 hours ago, vwgolf said:

My own experience is rather different, I rarely see anyone not suitably dressed on formal nights on P&O in the venues that stipulate formal attire. Now maybe I go on different itineraries to you, but I have done most destinations out Southampton except the Baltic so quite a wide cross section, and have not noticed that the freedom  MDRs are anything other than full on formal nights.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My own experience is rather different, I rarely see anyone not suitably dressed on formal nights on P&O in the venues that stipulate formal attire. Now maybe I go on different itineraries to you, but I have done most destinations out Southampton except the Baltic so quite a wide cross section, and have not noticed that the freedom  MDRs are anything other than full on formal nights.

Yes I agree with you, in our experience the P&O formal night dress code is usually well adhered to.

4 hours ago, vwgolf said:

If just do away with it what would make p&o any different from other cruise lines

You don't have to dine in the Main Dining Room (MDR) on formal nights if you don't want to, you can choose any of the other restaurants/buffet available on your ship in casual clothes. I think there's a restriction on where you can go if not in formal clothing, you'd need to check on your ship's policy, but you don't have to dress up on formal nights if you don't want to. I chose to (dress up) but I found it tedious as I was like OMG it's formal night, do I have a clean white shirt, where did I put those cufflinks!

It's your holiday, you choose what you want to do, no-one's forcing you to dress up on formal nights if you don't want to, but you will have to if you want to dine in the MDR as it's enforced.

39 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I am beginning to get the impression those who wish the formal nights to stop,are those who have done it a good few times and have got fed up with them.

It is something of a chore, and it also involves extra luggage space. It's also completely incongruous on P&O - but a lot of people still love it.

I like the formal nights, but i will go along with the smaller adult only ships maybe the ones that retain the dress code, and the biggies ,especially after Iona and  the other gert great big one comes online will quietly move away from the formal aspect. Those ships will tend to appeal to what pando want their new market to be. Will it be with in 5 years ,for those possibly. I think the smaller ones will keep it until there are not enough cruising on them, and they are all quietly sold off. 

I have said elsewhere we did most of our cruising, when it was a special kind of holiday..the market pando are after now is different. I think it will be a shame ,but then  we will not be cruising by the time you can go to dinner in the same shorts and t shirt every night (we saw that on our first Thomsons cruise, and knew they were the same as they got dirtier and dirtier as the week progressed-smaller ship so you tended to see the same people around) 

For the moment I think its which ship, where you dine, and where you drink. I read of people who have been on the same cruise as us saying people do not dress up now . I think well the bar we were in before dinner, everyone was dressed up, in the mdr everyone I could see was dressed up. Had we drunk in the pub or the poolside bar and eaten in the buffet I may have said similar.

52 minutes ago, docco said:

It is something of a chore, and it also involves extra luggage space. It's also completely incongruous on P&O - but a lot of people still love it.

Incongruous seems a bit of an oxymoron if lots of people still love it, don't you think?

Edited by terrierjohn

On B&W night I wear a black dress and white scarf. Charity shops are your friend. Picked up a Phase 8 tape work dress for £20, current price for new is over £300. Relax, enjoy and don't fret too much about dress code

4 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I am beginning to get the impression those who wish the formal nights to stop,are those who have done it a good few times and have got fed up with them.

That's me, with 44 cruises under my belt I have dressed formally many times, now I would only consider it if there was a special occasion like xmas dinner.

I don't mind their being formal nights as long as there is plenty of choice onboard for those who don't want to take part.

Edited by davecttr

24 minutes ago, davecttr said:

That's me, with 44 cruises under my belt I have dressed formally many times, now I would only consider it if there was a special occasion like xmas dinner.

I don't mind their being formal nights as long as there is plenty of choice onboard for those who don't want to take part.

Me too. It's well past its use by date and I'd like to see more included dining options - such as another MDR - for people who choose to dress normally.

The buffet's not a real option for a lot of people, so why should you have to pay to eat just a to avoid dressing up if you choose P&O for other reasons.

3 minutes ago, docco said:

Me too. It's well past its use by date and I'd like to see more included dining options - such as another MDR - for people who choose to dress normally.

The buffet's not a real option for a lot of people, so why should you have to pay to eat just a to avoid dressing up if you choose P&O for other reasons.

So in reality you would stop the people who come after you the chance of a formal night,bit of the i’m Alright jack

13 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

So in reality you would stop the people who come after you the chance of a formal night,bit of the i’m Alright jack

Not at all. They can wear whatever they choose to wear. How does providing another non-chargeable food venue affect them in any way?

3 minutes ago, docco said:

1 hour ago, docco said:

As it no longer effects you, why try to spoil it for other people. Or have you  not actually cancelled your three other cruises?

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2019 at 8:28 PM, branddad said:

Surely you research the do’s and don’ts of the ship before booking.  If you don’t like some of the policies and rules etc sail with a different cruise line.  We had our first cruise last year and researched lots of lines and decided that P&O suited us more than others. We are not posh, rich or extravagant, we saved hard for a holiday to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, my 60th and my retirement, and found the Britannia to be brilliant. Loved the formal nights, yes luckily I had a tux from my retirement presentation, but if I had not got one I did have other back up suits which would have been sufficient. We enjoyed the cruise so much we have booked again for this year,  same ship same cabin.  

No. Just look at where the ship is going. I had no idea there was such a thing as a dress code. Seems bizarre to me for a floating holiday resort. 

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

No. Have a formal night,  but don’t make it compulsory in the MDR. 

If people like dressing up why not do it every night? Seriously. 

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Not at all. They can wear whatever they choose to wear. How does providing another non-chargeable food venue affect them in any way?

15 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

No. Just look at where the ship is going. I had no idea there was such a thing as a dress code. Seems bizarre to me for a floating holiday resort. 

That's the point I'm making really, I suppose, when I say it's incongruous for P&O.  It's all about people trying to pretend that they're something which they're not, and that goes against the grain with me.

P&O is also trying to pretend that it's something that it's not any more, so there is a certain logic to it. 

Butlins, by comparison (and there are many similarities these days) is exactly what it claims to be.  Maybe if they introduced the formal night concept too they'd be able to claim to be a bit more upmarket?

51 minutes ago, docco said:

That's the point I'm making really, I suppose, when I say it's incongruous for P&O.  It's all about people trying to pretend that they're something which they're not, and that goes against the grain with me.

P&O is also trying to pretend that it's something that it's not any more, so there is a certain logic to it. 

Butlins, by comparison (and there are many similarities these days) is exactly what it claims to be.  Maybe if they introduced the formal night concept too they'd be able to claim to be a bit more upmarket?

In what way is it all about people trying to pretend that they are something which they are not? I really don’t get your meaning, I am me and on a formal night I am me in slightly nicer clothes (in the same way I would dress appropriately for a wedding, for new year etc)

53 minutes ago, docco said:

docco if you have a low self esteem and feel uncomfortable amongst your fellow cruisers who find it enjoyable to dress up I’m sorry for you,but I am from a working class background made good kind of guy who if my beloved tells me to dress up I do.

• Like 1

What should hubby wear????

just been through his wardrobe and he does have a suit 😱 and a black tie and a grey stripe tie. So that’s formal sorted 

my problem for him now is casual. 

He has shirts and stuff but they are the type you wear with jeans etc

obviously as we are 30 some of the attire most wear just won’t suit him and don’t wanna wear a suit every night. 

So glad the kids are easy to dress. 

Getting headache with this all now.