Formal nights

Vampiress88

We were told a few years ago by Hotel General Manager, then she was a Purser, while having lunch and talking about standards of dress. She went on to say that she has designer jeans that cost more than many dinner suits that men wore on formal evenings. When a Purser has that attitude you have no chance of upholding dress codes on a P&O ship.

Edited by majortom10

3 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

I wonder how much they're allowed to deviate from the companies rules? One manager may think the rules are too strict and allows improper attire, but who's to say that a company rep is not on board.

Most restaurant managers are experienced and eminently sensible. They’re allowed, sensibly, an awful lot of leeway and if they possibly can allow someone in then they will.

After all, how do you define ‘dark suit’?

I wonder if the sex discrimination laws have ever been brought into play. Tongue in cheek, but the rules for men are very much stricter than those for women........

On that last point, well that's a whole other discussion.

As for definition on suit shades, I've seen sapphire paisley dinner jacket (which actually worked well) - so I guess that's being lenient or perhaps sensible. After all, it still fits the dinner jacket brief.

Although I don't know whether something like this is going "too far"..

https://www.moss.co.uk/moss-london-skinny-fit-black-orange-floral-jacket-966200115?jacket=true

...I think we had some curtains like that once.

23 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

As for definition on suit shades, I've seen sapphire paisley dinner jacket (which actually worked well) - so I guess that's being lenient or perhaps sensible. After all, it still fits the dinner jacket brief.

https://www.moss.co.uk/moss-london-skinny-fit-black-orange-floral-jacket-966200115?jacket=true

That’s my suit are you saying it not going to be suitable 

12 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

Personally I think that this is interesting. On our recent cruise there were younger people with formal clothes that were a more modern take on “formal” but looked great. You can’t say that it is not a dark suit.

One of my younger relatives has suits like this, even one made of Christmas fabric. They are a very popular “look”.

48 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Personally I think that this is interesting. On our recent cruise there were younger people with formal clothes that were a more modern take on “formal” but looked great. You can’t say that it is not a dark suit.

One of my younger relatives has suits like this, even one made of Christmas fabric. They are a very popular “look”.

You will probably find they will dress appropriately if it is to there own benefit otherwise they just dress casual.

34 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Hubby has now bought a waistcoat 🤷‍♀️

He is of the thinking that he can take his jacket off and look half decent on the formal nights. I was under the impression that your not supposed to take the jacket off. 

As a rule no but he can if it gets really hot, which is sometimes does. My husband wears a waistcoat for the same reason, still looks smart with his kilt and waistcoat.

If anyone is cheeky enough to demand that he puts a jacket back on  (very unlikely by the way) then ask for the air con to be turned up to full and then wait for the complaints from the ladies in flimsy dresses. 😈

8 hours ago, Bazrat said:

You will probably find they will dress appropriately if it is to there own benefit otherwise they just dress casual.

The benefit being a good meal. 

Casual is in the eye eye of the beholder. I think that the modern trend for ripped jeans is just scruffy but accept that I am not on trend.

40 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Hubby has now bought a waistcoat 🤷‍♀️

He is of the thinking that he can take his jacket off and look half decent on the formal nights. I was under the impression that your not supposed to take the jacket off. 

I wasn't aware of this until recently and thought it more sense to take my jacket off to sit for dinner, but apparently not. Nobody corrected me, so it can't have bothered anybody too much.

Still had my pint of Peroni with dinner.. My holiday, my way.

Andy

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I wasn't aware of this until recently and thought it more sense to take my jacket off to sit for dinner, but apparently not. Nobody corrected me, so it can't have bothered anybody too much.

Still had my pint of Peroni with dinner.. My holiday, my way.

Andy

A pint of beer on the table? Isn't that far worse than turning up in jeans? 

8 minutes ago, docco said:

Even if it's Bollinger the old school would have a field day - and they're the ones wanting the formality. A pint mug is a bit like carrying a bag of chips in!

As I am not a wine drinker I leave the wine drinking to my wife.

I prefer my glass of beer.🍺

BTW, I do occasionally like a bag of fish and chips back home (don’t we all?) but never whilst on board.:classic_smile:

27 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

As I am not a wine drinker I leave the wine drinking to my wife.

I prefer my glass of beer.🍺

BTW, I do occasionally like a bag of fish and chips back home (don’t we all?) but never whilst on board.:classic_smile:

Beer wine of the gods not this lager rubbish.

13 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds like the infamous "black bottle" involving Lord Cardigan and Captain Nolan is returning.

I just googled that.The bloke brought a bottle of Blue Nun into the officers mess.I would have had him shot,lol.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, docco said:

I can speak only for the larger ships these days, but they are very much floating holiday resorts - because that's the market Carnival have identified for their P&O brand.

That suits a lot of people, and provided you know that's what you're getting (bedmaking competitions, for example (!), bingo and gaming machines) it doesn't present any problems.  If you're looking for something a little less tacky, a little more civilised, maybe P&O isn't for you.

I think that P&O compare very unfavourably as a floating resort against the likes of just about every other main stream cruise line, they may have lots of evening venues but they are extremely weak as regards daytime activities.

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that P&O compare very unfavourably as a floating resort against the likes of just about every other main stream cruise line, they may have lots of evening venues but they are extremely weak as regards daytime activities.

I’ve nothing to compare it with, but we used to find ourselves fully occupied throughout the day on P&O.

Last time, sadly, we were very much underwhelmed by what was on offer. P&O now seem to be taking the line that unless it’s a profit centre in its own right they’re not interested. Hence the bingo, the gaming machines, the chargeable ship’s tours and the ‘art’ talks that turn into sales pitches.

6 minutes ago, docco said:

I’ve nothing to compare it with, but we used to find ourselves fully occupied throughout the day on P&O.

Last time, sadly, we were very much underwhelmed by what was on offer. P&O now seem to be taking the line that unless it’s a profit centre in its own right they’re not interested. Hence the bingo, the gaming machines, the chargeable ship’s tours and the ‘art’ talks that turn into sales pitches.

Not to mention the thinly veiled sales pitches disguised as beauty talks (punting creams etc), detox talks (selling pills) and arthritis seminars (punting insoles) etc etc. If you take all of these type of activities and the pay for ones like bingo (which we don’t do) then there is not much left. 

IMO P&O compares well for evening entertainment but through the day on sea days there is very little on offer compared to other lines. I end up reading on the balcony.

We love for example the ice skating on RC, putting green on Princess and the croquet on the lawn on Celebrity. Cant have it all on every line I suppose.

Interesting that people need organised activities to keep them occupied all day,for me a good book or a few hands of cards with the beloved or a slow walk soon to be around a ship during the day (and a quick drink)is really all we need,I definitely don’t need the kind of activities some of the cruise companies offer.