SBP drink price limit increase

On the Nieuw Amsterdam now and were informed upon boarding the the drink price limit was raised from $9 max to $11 max.  Which is great for us.  Not sure of this is fleetwide or just this cruise or a trial. Anyone know?

We did have a glitch with several charges for drinks that were $11 showing up on our account.  But visited guest services and the charges were removed. Kind of a hassle but told it was an error and the F&B manager was working to correct.

17 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Imagine that ....... the rules and application of beverage package policies varying from ship to ship bar to bar day to day hour to hour......

I just do do not understand why HAL cannot get their $@!t together on this...... 

^^^This!!

The recent experiences reported on NS don't even sound like the same Elite bev package we had on NA. I understand computer glitches which can be dealt with by the front desk but policy should be in hard print and uniformly adhered to across the fleet. It is almost like every Bev Manager just does their own thing and it's just the customer's tough luck. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

It is almost like every Bev Manager just does their own thing and it's just the customer's tough luck. 

That is long how I have viewed the situation .....  The sad thing is a WANT to love HAL, I WANT to make them my first choice, I WANT to give them extra money and purchase or upgrade beverage packages ....... why do they WANT to make it so difficult to do so??  One of the main reasons I have sailed Celebrity and Princess so much in the last few years is because they have their act together on this offering!  The only reason I am sailing HAL to Alaska this summer and the Panama Canal next winter are because of their far superior itineraries.  I fully EXPECT to be frustrated when using my beverage package (which was a booking perk), which is a sad way to begin a cruise 😠

If HAL would mirror the policies and practices of their sister Princess in regards to beverage packages, which is part of the "Holland America  Group" after all, then I would have ZERO complaints!!!!

While I recognize that for many here a beverage package does not make sense financially, there are also many of us for whom it does.  By not having a competitive, consistent, offering they are pushing those of us who like the beverage packages away .....

OH WAIT - and then there is their "Stellar" website (which is an absolute exercise in dysfuntion!) - again with Princess being part of the Holland America Group how the heck have their IT practices not benefited HAL????????

Ok - RANT OVER 😵

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

On the NS, we were informed the increase to $11 only applied to wines.  Who knows.........

Nope not just wine.  Had some tequila yesterday priced at $10.50 and it was included.  However a lot of the liquor is under the $9 mark even Grey Goose which I recall on Celebrity it was not included you had to upgrade to get it.

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Has the Elite pkg changed in any way, either the price limits or the cost of the pkg? Just curious as we had that this last cruise and loved it. 

Sorry don't know that answer.  Will ask but sometimes you do get different answers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

^^^This!!

The recent experiences reported on NS don't even sound like the same Elite bev package we had on NA. I understand computer glitches which can be dealt with by the front desk but policy should be in hard print and uniformly adhered to across the fleet. It is almost like every Bev Manager just does their own thing and it's just the customer's tough luck. 

It is frustrating as it seems this new roll out in SBP there was not training for the bar staff.  Some are still telling me I can't order above $9.

Also I've given up on going daily to front desk to fix any adjustments.  Will do the last day I guess.  Yesterday was pretty good only 2 wrong charges.  So getting better.

I also found a note from HAL saying our beverage perk included up to $11.  So have it in writing but it does say a total of 15 beverages max.  However we have not been charged for bottled water or nonalcoholic drinks.

• Like 1

Grrr.. this makes me especially angry because last week we couldn't get a Grey Goose martini because they said it was $9.50 which was $0.50 over the limit.  When I asked about the $11 limit,  I was told specifically it was for wine only.  Clearly, the NS is interpreting the new limit in their own way.  Also, on one of the evenings we asked the wine steward for a Cabernet in Pinnacle Grill.  We asked him to please give us a Cabernet that would be included in the SBP.  He said "OK" and brought the glass of wine to the table. Wouldn't you know, the next day I see the wine on the bill with a charge for $13.  Guest services did not want to reverse the charge because it was over the $11 limit.  After explaining the situation they eventually agreed to refund the amount.  But, why when I am on vacation do I have to think about these things and waste my time when that is exactly the reason why I purchased the package in the first place! Sigh....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

That is long how I have viewed the situation .....  The sad thing is a WANT to love HAL, I WANT to make them my first choice, I WANT to give them extra money and purchase or upgrade beverage packages ....... why do they WANT to make it so difficult to do so??  One of the main reasons I have sailed Celebrity and Princess so much in the last few years is because they have their act together on this offering!  The only reason I am sailing HAL to Alaska this summer and the Panama Canal next winter are because of their far superior itineraries.  I fully EXPECT to be frustrated when using my beverage package (which was a booking perk), which is a sad way to begin a cruise 😠

If HAL would mirror the policies and practices of their sister Princess in regards to beverage packages, which is part of the "Holland America  Group" after all, then I would have ZERO complaints!!!!

While I recognize that for many here a beverage package does not make sense financially, there are also many of us for whom it does.  By not having a competitive, consistent, offering they are pushing those of us who like the beverage packages away .....

OH WAIT - and then there is their "Stellar" website (which is an absolute exercise in dysfuntion!) - again with Princess being part of the Holland America Group how the heck have their IT practices not benefited HAL????????

Ok - RANT OVER 😵

I was told by a friend that knew HAL well that their in house IT and web all went to CCL in Florida. Met a tech on one of our cruises and he was from the main office for CCL companies in Miami. Sounded like Carnival centralized all of their IT and web stuff

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Agree. We both enjoyed the freedom of the Elite Beverage pkg personally and I know we got our monies worth and HAL still made a handsome profit. Our servers were also very enthusiastic about serving us too. I just don't get the inconsistencies and why corporate doesn't get all Bev Managers on the same page.

My husband gets so frustrated with HAL. He says "But we want to GIVE them more money for this extra stuff and they say "NO" or make it so hard to do, what kind of business model is that?!!" :classic_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Grrr.. this makes me especially angry because last week we couldn't get a Grey Goose martini because they said it was $9.50 which was $0.50 over the limit.  When I asked about the $11 limit,  I was told specifically it was for wine only.  Clearly, the NS is interpreting the new limit in their own way.  Also, on one of the evenings we asked the wine steward for a Cabernet in Pinnacle Grill.  We asked him to please give us a Cabernet that would be included in the SBP.  He said "OK" and brought the glass of wine to the table. Wouldn't you know, the next day I see the wine on the bill with a charge for $13.  Guest services did not want to reverse the charge because it was over the $11 limit.  After explaining the situation they eventually agreed to refund the amount.  But, why when I am on vacation do I have to think about these things and waste my time when that is exactly the reason why I purchased the package in the first place! Sigh....

I can see that would make me angry.  However all the drink menus on board have all the GreyGoose options at $8.50 so under $9.  I'll post the menu soon.

I think the ships should be consistent fleetwide on this sort of thing.  We feel lucky about the $11 increase for our cruise.  Hopefully the kinks will get worked out.  

2 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

I can see that would make me angry.  However all the drink menus on board have all the GreyGoose options at $8.50 so under $9.  I'll post the menu soon.

I think the ships should be consistent fleetwide on this sort of thing.  We feel lucky about the $11 increase for our cruise.  Hopefully the kinks will get worked out.  

GreyGoose was the same price on the NS as well ($8.50), but apparently when they make a Martini with it, the price of the drink is actually $9.50.  ::rolls eyes::

10 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

Vodka prices on Nieuw Amsterdam

15556297712336633290379126073646.jpg

I have the Signature Beverage Packing on my next cruise, I drink Chopin vodka and am delighted to see it under $11, however I do expect the prices may be going up, I suspect I will have to upgrade my drink package to get my Chopin vodka...

HAL is trying to be competitive with the other cruise lines.  But sadly doesn't know how to do it.  And the bosses on the ships can't get their act together and have the same rules.

This has been going on for years -- no consistency.  And this is on everything -- not just drinks.

44 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

HAL is trying to be competitive with the other cruise lines.  But sadly doesn't know how to do it.  And the bosses on the ships can't get their act together and have the same rules.

This has been going on for years -- no consistency.  And this is on everything -- not just drinks.

So true, communication is key with everything!!!!

I used to think MSC was the only cruise line that didn't have their act together with regards to communication and consistency but clearly that's not the case.  At least MSC has an excuse of being relatively new to US cruises.  HAL really has no excuse.  And at least on MSC I don't feel guilty when I try to order a drink on their package.  I can order a soda along with my alcoholic drink and no one even bats an eye.  And no 15 drink minimum nonsense. 

I'm wondering if they will raise the actual price of the SBP from $44.95 per day to something higher.   And for Princess fans, their cheapest Premiere beverage package is around $69 per day including the 15% service charge.

I would like to see the current list of wines by the glass available for $11 and under.   HAL recently changed their wine supplier (according to the Eurodam food & beverage manager) and the available wines by the glass for $9 went from 17 down to only 9, and only 2 whites.   We complained that there was no Pinot Grigio available for $9.  The food & beverage manager told us that the $9 limit was going up to $11 soon.   That didn't help us, so he setup an override so we could get the $10 Pinot Grigio included in the SBP.   It worked great for the whole 28 day cruise. 

All water, sodas and specialty coffees do NOT count towards your daily 15 drink limit.   Grey Goose vodka was $8.50, straight, in a mixed drink, or even in a espresso martini.   The drink price is determined by the base cost of the alcohol, and the added mixers do not increase the price.  I was able to get a Wang Wang on the Eurodam, which has 6 different types of alcohol, and it was covered for the $9 limit (in March) of the SBP.