Nicest Princess ship to Alaska

Chiefdog

I would sail the Ruby. You can walk outside, all around the ship on deck 7 for the views

Has lots of places for viewing. It's like the Crown and Emerald.  They have all been in drydock.

Royal you can't but the Royal is the newer ship and have added a few new things. But I've

read they have made places smaller and taken some things away.

Nicest ship is by far the Royal, however, the best ship for Alaska is the Coral... I've been on the Coral on a northbound and the Royal a couple times in the Caribbean.  But in the grand scheme of things just go, what is outside the ship is far more spectacular than your floating hotel for a week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have over 50 days on the Royal, 28 on the Coral (including 2 northbound Vancouver to Whittier) and the Island (sister ship to the Coral before it was butchered), and 27 on the Ruby (including one round trip Seattle Alaska cruise last summer). 

If you plan a one way cruise, definitely pick the Coral (and make sure you see the production show On the Bayou developed just for the Coral and old Island Princess).

If you want a round trip cruise (which we did last summer with the entire family for ease of airline flights), the Ruby was fine - and that was before her recent dry dock.

While we love the Royal, we wouldn't chose it for an Alaska cruise.  It is too big for the ports and, as others have mentioned, the viewing areas are better on the Coral and the Ruby.

• Like 2

As the OP has ask Royal or Ruby, we did the  Ruby (Alaska with Glacier Bay) last June and viewing was outstanding (we stayed on our balcony when glaciers were on our side).

Went up to the bow were you can get great views entering and leaving Glacier Bay as far as watching for birds, sea life and bears. It was very cold though.

Did the Med in the Royal. Other than off your balcony, areas to take pictures can be limited by the high plexiglass rails on top. There are a few areas to get around this, but I imagine they will be crowded. My vote, Ruby, though I do like the Royal as a ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

We have over 50 days on the Royal, 28 on the Coral (including 2 northbound Vancouver to Whittier) and the Island (sister ship to the Coral before it was butchered), and 27 on the Ruby (including one round trip Seattle Alaska cruise last summer). 

If you plan a one way cruise, definitely pick the Coral (and make sure you see the production show On the Bayou developed just for the Coral and old Island Princess).

If you want a round trip cruise (which we did last summer with the entire family for ease of airline flights), the Ruby was fine - and that was before her recent dry dock.

While we love the Royal, we wouldn't chose it for an Alaska cruise.  It is too big for the ports and, as others have mentioned, the viewing areas are better on the Coral and the Ruby.

Thank you, this is helpful. The airfare is insane from the east coast to the west coast! Since this will be our first Alaska trip, I think we will just do a Seattle round trip. After the cruise, we can rent a car to explore the Northwest coast for a week. I had my heart set on renting a car for Denali and exploring the small towns, and then doing the train to the port. But with the high airfare I guess it won't be possible for this round. What month do you prefer? I thought September for the change in color. With all of your trips, you could have purchased a home in Alaska! 

27 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

As the OP has ask Royal or Ruby, we did the  Ruby (Alaska with Glacier Bay) last June and viewing was outstanding (we stayed on our balcony when glaciers were on our side).

Went up to the bow were you can get great views entering and leaving Glacier Bay as far as watching for birds, sea life and bears. It was very cold though.

Did the Med in the Royal. Other than off your balcony, areas to take pictures can be limited by the high plexiglass rails on top. There are a few areas to get around this, but I imagine they will be crowded. My vote, Ruby, though I do like the Royal as a ship.

Seems like Coral or Ruby. I am cold all the time, so would I be crazy to bring a down coat in September? Also, if we do a Seattle to Seattle is there a better side of the ship for viewing off of a balcony? I prefer up on deck, but my husband likes the balcony. 

1 minute ago, Chiefdog said:

Seems like Coral or Ruby. I am cold all the time, so would I be crazy to bring a down coat in September? Also, if we do a Seattle to Seattle is there a better side of the ship for viewing off of a balcony? I prefer up on deck, but my husband likes the balcony. 

The Coral has a covered pool area (Ruby does not).

RT Seattle - no, they are equal since it is RT. I like Deck 7 on both of these ships for viewing (as it is covered and not crowded). Allows you to go from side to side easily.

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

The Coral has a covered pool area (Ruby does not).

RT Seattle - no, they are equal since it is RT. I like Deck 7 on both of these ships for viewing (as it is covered and not crowded). Allows you to go from side to side easily.

What about the down coat? Any hot tubs or should I get a spa membership? Also, is it worth taking the boat excursion in Glacier Bay?

16 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

Thank you, this is helpful. The airfare is insane from the east coast to the west coast! Since this will be our first Alaska trip, I think we will just do a Seattle round trip. After the cruise, we can rent a car to explore the Northwest coast for a week. I had my heart set on renting a car for Denali and exploring the small towns, and then doing the train to the port. But with the high airfare I guess it won't be possible for this round. What month do you prefer? I thought September for the change in color. With all of your trips, you could have purchased a home in Alaska! 

I think you've made a good decision. We live in the Seattle area and cruise to Alaska every summer. The last 2 years we've been on the Ruby and are going again the first week of June. The Ruby is a nice ship and has a lot of good viewing areas. Port or Starboard side it doesn't make any difference. We gave up on getting a balcony years ago, it's to cold to be sitting out on a balcony when the ship is underway. We like to be out on deck when we are in Glacier Bay. My wife has to have natural sunlight so we always get a obstructed view cabin on Deck 8, Emerald deck. A nice road trip after your cruise would to drive down Hwy 101 down the Oregon coast.

3 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

What about the down coat? Any hot tubs or should I get a spa membership? Also, is it worth taking the boat excursion in Glacier Bay?

I just wear what I wear in the fall in Seattle area and I'm fine, I'm also cold all the time. Yes there are hot tubs on the Ruby. There is no boat excursion in Glacier Bay, only in Tracy Arm.

11 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

I would dress for early April in New Jersey (I know - it can be anything with Jersey in early April). I would bring a good waterproof rain coat and plan to dress in layers.

I tell a story of 2 July 4th cruises several years apart. One was pretty cold, wet and foggy and the other I wore shorts on and got sunburns.

I warned my sister last year about going in September and being the rainy season. Well, last year in Alaska in September - it was beautiful. 

Yes there are hot tubs. There are covered ones and open ones on Coral Princess, not covered on Ruby.

There is no boat excursion to Glacier Bay. There is one to Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm. I would definitely do the Tracy Arm one. The Hubbard Glacier boat ride hasn't started yet (new this year).

Edited by Coral

20 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

We (our family of 7) had the same issue with air fare.  DH and I had visited Seattle before for a port day and enjoyed it.  This time we flew in a day early and left a day late.  There is plenty to see and do in Seattle!

We have done the first week in July twice (nice long days).  Last summer was fantastic - no rain and temps in the high 70s and our SIL and granddaughter used the pool on multiple days.  The other July and first week in August cruises had rain some days and sun on other.  Whenever you go make sure you bring layers of clothing.

We really had no intention of taking multiple trips but after the first one I convinced my 3 siblings and spouses to come with us and on the last year’s trip we took our 2 kids, spouses and granddaughter and they all asked when we would do it again.  I told them whenever they wanted to pay for it.😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiefdog said:

Has anyone sailed either the Royal or the Ruby to Alaska? I am debating between each. I am wondering which would be the nicest in terms of refurbishments, the spa for cold days, and the itenerary. 

Gosh, too bad Coral isn't an option for you.  

If she were, Coral would be our choice.  

1 hour ago, Chiefdog said:

. . . What month do you prefer? I thought September for the change in color. With all of your trips, you could have purchased a home in Alaska! 

We've done Sept. in Alaska and I don't recommend it.  I don't remember fall color--most of the trees are conifers.  Glacier Bay was a big disappointment.  We have been there in May several times (before and after the Sep. cruise) and the mountains where the glaciers are were all snow covered.  In Sept. it was muddy bare rock, a rainy day and a very different visual experience.  We also had rain in Juneau.  [This was a RT out of Vancouver.]   Have been on the Royal several times and as others have said it's totally inappropriate for Alaska.  Last time we cruised to Alaska was on the Star P out of SF.  She's an older sister of the Ruby, which we've sailed on elsewhere and it was great ship for Alaska.

Edited by BarbinMich

18 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

We've done Sept. in Alaska and I don't recommend it.  I don't remember fall color--most of the trees are conifers.  Glacier Bay was a big disappointment.  We have been there in May several times (before and after the Sep. cruise) and the mountains where the glaciers are were all snow covered.  In Sept. it was muddy bare rock, a rainy day and a very different visual experience.  We also had rain in Juneau.  [This was a RT out of Vancouver.]   Have been on the Royal several times and as others have said it's totally inappropriate for Alaska.  Last time we cruised to Alaska was on the Star P out of SF.  She's an older sister of the Ruby, which we've sailed on elsewhere and it was great ship for Alaska.

I guess the colors are for up by Denali with the grasses. Boy am I confused now. I guess I will look at other months. I was looking at Aug. 31 and Sept. sailings. My brother in  law went in September, several years ago, and had Indian summer weather, but Denali was shrouded in clouds. I always bring umbrellas on trips, so will just enjoy nature for what it is. Thank you for the info. 

I would totally pick Ruby  cruised on her April on a Pacific Coastal and then May to Alaska last Year. April was when she tweaked her menu, May they were still tweaking...then in March of this year the menu was different again as this was after her Nov.  dry dock and we really enjoyed  the physical changes. New Carpet etc......The Salty Dog grill...love those street tacos, coffee and cones nice to get a "real" specialty coffee on deck 16.

This year we happened to be gng to Alaska again guess what ship I picked Coral...we cruised on her 12 years ago to the Panama canal.

Have only cruised Majestic but  must agree that class of ship does not have the viewing, however if she would have fallen into my time frame  might have picked her just for the medallion.

Have a cruise planned on Royal this year so I'll try that medallion sooner or later. But, believe I will miss being on Ruby...as I like the new menu and those street tacos...but  am gng Coral because of all the positives on these boards. Ist cruise to Alaska, the Dawn Princess, 20 years later Ruby last year and the end of next month Coral and a land trip, probably my last time to Alaska. 

Edited by land lover

Coral 1st, , Ruby 2nd, and then Royal way down the list.  Royal is too big with fewer outdoor viewing areas.  Coral is smaller then the Ruby wit lots of outdoor areas.  No more Island  Princess for us because of the additional cabins ruined the ship. WE werer on the Island thru the Panama canal and it was just not the same ship.

1 hour ago, Chiefdog said:

. . . What month do you prefer? I thought September for the change in color. With all of your trips, you could have purchased a home in Alaska! 

https://www.graylinealaska.com/blog/top-spots-in-alaska-for-fall-foliage/  Just found this link; however, it doesn't mention SE Alaska (the panhandle where Juneau, Ketchikan are) at all.