Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

6 minutes ago, tymike said:

Really???

I just can't.......

I've been looking forward to Cuba for months.  Sailing in July (maybe)...

Ugh.

Yup. Cuba is the only reason I decided to try a cruise. It will be my first.  And outrageously expensive to have the star of the show canceled.  I’m so bummed. May 27 for me.

Essentially we all know that cruise lines can (and sometimes have to ) change itineraries at any time but I've put in so much time for research on Cuba and I'm not particularly interested in the other stops.  Any ideas what might replace it?  

Once again...UGH!!!  Very disappointed.

• Like 1

Please, please....can this thread just be about the loss of our possible Cuba vacation and not about the cause?  There are many forums to do politics.  This forum is about cruising.

The whole thing just hurts right now.

• Like 4

i cant believe this.  i was so looking forward to this cruise in August.  i dont know what to do, cancel or wait and see what happens.  I dont think i want to go if the substitute different ports but it too late to book something else.  Cuba was on my mothers bucket list.

11 hours ago, LaCal said:

We’re booked May 6th and it’s not looking good 😓😓

Yes we are also on that cruise.   Called MSC today and they suggested that the cruise would still call at Havana.  If UK citizen we were advised we were fine.  So at this point the cruise is still scheduled to dock in Havana.

• Like 1

I don't know if they can just change to another port. It's not like NCL, the Armonia serves a lot of Europeans and they should not be affected in this rule. I don't really want to go to other Carribean islands anyway.

The good thing is that I booked reward flights and reward hotels and everything is cancellable. 

Edited by thetaro

This will be interesting to follow. If the cruise ships still go Cuba may not let the ships dock like they did to one ship back in Feb. The cruise lines are going to have to make a tough decision thats for sure. I  have a feeling they are going to change that stop. Imagine the logistical nightmare if only some passengers can disembark while half of the others can not.

13 minutes ago, floridian1 said:

This will be interesting to follow. If the cruise ships still go Cuba may not let the ships dock like they did to one ship back in Feb. The cruise lines are going to have to make a tough decision thats for sure. I  have a feeling they are going to change that stop. Imagine the logistical nightmare if only some passengers can disembark while half of the others can not.

Very difficult decision for the cruise companies, a lot of passengers will be cancelling if the itinerary changes. If non US passengers are allowed to visit, it would make sense to continue and allow the US passenger the choice of cancelling or sailing without disembarking in Cuba.

33 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Very difficult decision for the cruise companies, a lot of passengers will be cancelling if the itinerary changes. If non US passengers are allowed to visit, it would make sense to continue and allow the US passenger the choice of cancelling or sailing without disembarking in Cuba.

I hope they tell us something soon. Ours is July but we have made final payment...and yes, we are US.

The restriction on individual American tourists is only one part of the restrictions. If they are rolling things back to the way they were before, then carriers (cruiseships, airlines) will not be allowed to provide direct connections between the US and Cuba. And in the meantime, for cruises in the next few months, I really doubt that the US authorities would allow cruises to continue and just trust the cruise line and the Cuban authorities to ensure that Americans stay on board.

Even if you stay on board, you still have to pay port taxes to Cuba, and that will once again become illegal if they take away the people-to-people and other licenses that people have been using for Cuban travel.

If American tourists stop being able to go to Cuba, I expect they will move the Armonia to another port (for example going back to doing round trips out of Havana) and stop accepting US bookings. I.e. what they were doing a couple of years ago already.

• Like 5

Whether we get to go to Cuba or not, it's evident this administration has succeeded in instilling fear of booking a Cuban cruise. I was going to cancel my RCL September cruise, but I think I'll hang in there just for spite. I looked for cruises for my same date and as of now they're pretty much sold out... the veranda's I looked at last night are gone. So I'm guessing some people have already switched cruises. I just hope that if they completely change our itinerary instead of refunds, we don't end up with a Nassau-Labadee-Falmouth cruise. Worst itinerary ever and its not like The Empress is so exciting that you can say that the ship is the destination, not the ports.  

21 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Sounds promising for those who are already booked 

Unfortunately that article is based on nothing more than wishful thinking. The guy they quoted runs a company that sells Cuba travel packages to Americans, so of course he has to appear confident and encourage people to continue booking… Anyone who says dumb stuff like "The 12 general license travel categories will not be eliminated as that would impinge on the constitutional right of Americans for freedom to travel” has pretty much zero credibility.

• Like 1

We are heading to Cuba (I think) on the April 29 Armonia sailing. If given the choice and the stop in Cuba was cancelled I would cancel the cruise and book the Seaside for a later date.