Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kaymoz

Drop off bags on embarkation day, board later?

Recommended Posts

We'll sail with HAL out of Amsterdam in June, our first cruise with them in umpteen years.  On embarkation day, can we drop off our luggage at the ship, then slip out to town for some last-minute sightseeing, and board ourselves later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, not a problem.  There will be porters outside in the driveway/drop off area who will be happy to accept your luggage as long as the HAL luggage tags are attached.  If you are traveling with the tags and need a stapler to attach them, the porters can help.  The HAL help luggage desk is in front of the terminal building if you need luggage tags created.  The earliest you can drop off your luggage (generally speaking), will be after 10 AM, closer to 10:15 am, or so.

 

The most important thing to to keep your passport/travel ID with you.  The Amsterdam is scheduled to leave at 4pm, so make sure you return by 3 pm at the latest. 

 

Mondays at Pier 91 are easy days with the Amsterdam the only ship in port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Yes, not a problem.  There will be porters outside in the driveway/drop off area who will be happy to accept your luggage as long as the HAL luggage tags are attached.  If you are traveling with the tags and need a stapler to attach them, the porters can help.  The HAL help luggage desk is in front of the terminal building if you need luggage tags created.  The earliest you can drop off your luggage (generally speaking), will be after 10 AM, closer to 10:15 am, or so.

 

The most important thing to to keep your passport/travel ID with you.  The Amsterdam is scheduled to leave at 4pm, so make sure you return by 3 pm at the latest. 

 

Mondays at Pier 91 are easy days with the Amsterdam the only ship in port.

Well said👍👍 I was going to say almost the same thing.

Kaymoz will appreciate your info.

Thank you

Denise😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing they need to know is that Pier 91 isn't close to anything.  If they have a car, they'll be OK, but if they were planning to walk, I wouldn't do it.  Pier 91 is part of a decommissioned military base, so it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's in your budget try to just arrive a day earlier so you can enjoy the beauty of Amsterdam without the hassle  of getting back to the ship on time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP is sailing out of Amsterdam not Seattle (pier 91).

 

If it were I, I would arrive 1 or 2 days early just to see Amsterdam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest that you not only leave your bags but go ahead and check in to save that step later in the day when you return. You can even board the ship and then leave for the rest of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I would suggest that you not only leave your bags but go ahead and check in to save that step later in the day when you return. You can even board the ship and then leave for the rest of the day.

I agree, in order to drop off carry-ons.  But that could cut off as much as 2 hours of sight-seeing time if they can't get on until 11:30 to Noon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP Here -- Hello everyone, and thank you all for the speedy responses! 

 

We are actually sailing on the Prinsendam out of Amsterdam to the coast of Norway.  In fact we'll be on her last cruise with HAL before she goes on to a new life with a German cruiseline.  I'm sure once we experience this ship, we'll regret not managing to do other voyages with her, but better this one than none! 

 

Yes, we will be in Amsterdam the night before the cruise, in country for a few days before that as well as a few days after the cruise.  On embarkation day, we could leave our bags at the hotel, but it's outside the ring (Hotel Alexander), so that seemed like a bit of backtracking although in the end it might work better than waiting for check-in at the ship. 

 

Yesterday I managed to snag some tickets to the Anne Frank House with the introductory tour, but our admission time is not until 1130 on embarkation day, so that's what prompted this question -- how to manage things on embarkationt day with this bit of delay in our boarding the ship -- which will be worth it from what I hear about the program at AFH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can check in your luggage and leave after that to go and see Amsterdam. Inside the terminal building you will also have lockers where you might stall your trolleys etc. 

More on facilities on their website: https://www.ptamsterdam.nl/en/cruises-portal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

OP is sailing out of Amsterdam not Seattle (pier 91).

 

If it were I, I would arrive 1 or 2 days early just to see Amsterdam.

And I gave such a good answer for those passengers sailing on the MS Amsterdam out of Pier 91 in Seattle!!!!  LOL

 

Thanks for clearing up the geographic location / ship mix-up Krazy Kruizers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have often dropped my bags, then gone and enjoyed whatever port I was in and returned around 2 pm. By that time, you should be able to walk up and check in. I would not check in at the time I drop my bags, that loses too much time. 

 

By the way, last time I was in FLL (late March) I saw a luggage cart outside with some bags and tags at 9:15, when I exited customs. So you may be able to drop earlier. Ten o'clock would be a certain bet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

And I gave such a good answer for those passengers sailing on the MS Amsterdam out of Pier 91 in Seattle!!!!  LOL

 

Thanks for clearing up the geographic location / ship mix-up Krazy Kruizers.

I guess there is a "touch" of Holland in Seattle :).  Think of all the lovely flowers at the Pike Place Market...and they will even have cut tulips if you are there in the spring :).

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up; the Amsterdam cruise terminal is walking distance to the Centraal Station (central railway station). From there, right in front, you can take trams just about everywhere in the city and most everyone speak English, incl. the tram conductors. You can take a tram (lines 13, 14 or 17) and get dropped off close to the Anne Frank House at the Prinsengracht (Prinses canal). Then again, it's only about a 25 min walk from the Centraal Station - Make sure you have a good map with ya, Amsterdam is an awesome city, but then again, I'm a bit prejudiced about my old city :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Useful info for us as we board in Sydney in 2 days and plan some variation on this theme, drop off the bags early and come back later.  I think we will have some good flexible options and avoid the lines/crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up; the Amsterdam cruise terminal is walking distance to the Centraal Station (central railway station). From there, right in front, you can take trams just about everywhere in the city and most everyone speak English, incl. the tram conductors. You can take a tram (lines 13, 14 or 17) and get dropped off close to the Anne Frank House at the Prinsengracht (Prinses canal). Then again, it's only about a 25 min walk from the Centraal Station - Make sure you have a good map with ya, Amsterdam is an awesome city, but then again, I'm a bit prejudiced about my old city :classic_smile:

One or my favorite cities. I hope to see the Van Gogh museum again.

However, if you are unaccustomed to bicycle traffic be prepared and look before crossing a bike path especially along a road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

One or my favorite cities. I hope to see the Van Gogh museum again.

However, if you are unaccustomed to bicycle traffic be prepared and look before crossing a bike path especially along a road.

and donot forget the trams!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...