Doing the Loen skylight Olden DIY ?

Tikka234

Hi would like to do the Leon sky lift, was looking at the ship excursion Leon sky lift and Kjenndalen but the first one 9.30 is booked up they have now put on another one at 13.30pm  Would this leave us enough time to look around up the top. has anyone done this excursion. I assume we get told how long before we have to go back to the ship.

Thanks 

u should be able to  go independently by booking at the tourist office opposite the ship's berth which also gives you the advantage of more time at the summit but also allows you to judge if the weather is good enough on the day

Doing Loen Skylift independently will probably let you stay at the top a lot longer, but also check the relative timings/ costs and decide which is worth more to you. We're off to the fjords on Azura in the summer and we found that the P&O Loen Skylift/ Kjenndal excursion only cost a little bit more than the cost of doing just the skylift independently so we've decided to sacrifice a bit of time at Loen to see both, and booked the excursion. 

I researched the DIY option last year. Prices may have changed slightly, but here are my notes;

Shuttle from Olden Pierhead on the hour, every hour
Return to Olden every 30 mins
Transfer 10 minutes
Skylift 5-7 minutes each way
Wheelchair Accessible
70 Euros per person inc Skylift (£61)
Skylift costs 52 Euros so shuttle works out at 18 Euros per person

I have done the Floen skylift independently by booking in the tourist office opposite the berth. The coach runs every half hour to match the frequency of the lift and you can catch any coach back.

The second time in Olden it was raining so I did not take the trip. I presume if you had taken the ships excursion you would have experienced a wonderful drippy cloud day

8 hours ago, HappyGiraffe said:

Doing Loen Skylift independently will probably let you stay at the top a lot longer, but also check the relative timings/ costs and decide which is worth more to you. We're off to the fjords on Azura in the summer and we found that the P&O Loen Skylift/ Kjenndal excursion only cost a little bit more than the cost of doing just the skylift independently so we've decided to sacrifice a bit of time at Loen to see both, and booked the excursion. 

Thanks were thinking of going on this now as it's 13.30 gives us time to have a walk around olden be for this. Can you confirm to me the coach will drop us at the sky lift and wait to take us back to the ship. As it's a 4 hour trip want to play safe and make sure we get back in time.

31 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Thanks were thinking of going on this now as it's 13.30 gives us time to have a walk around olden be for this. Can you confirm to me the coach will drop us at the sky lift and wait to take us back to the ship. As it's a 4 hour trip want to play safe and make sure we get back in time.

If you are on an organised P&O tour, the ship will wait for your coach to return if it is delayed. If you do it independently (or miss getting back on your P&O coach because you are very late returning to it), the ship may not wait.  

For reference, the shuttlebus inc Skylift ticket is now 80euros (£70ish, assuming a good exchange rate), while the P&O excursion to just Kjenndal was £55 (couldn't find a viable option for doing this DIY other than hiring a car?) and the P&O combined excursion to both was £85 ish. 

We considered doing the P&O Kjenndal excursion and then DIYing the skylift so we could spend more time at each, but overall decided that it was a lot cheaper and less stressful timing-wise to go with the combined excursion and then have half a day free to explore Olden on foot. If you'd prefer not to be rushed and have lots of time at the top of the cable car, then the shuttle bus may suit you better than an organised tour - the tour will definitely make sure you get back to the ship on time but you won't have the freedom to take a later coach if you want to stay longer. Normally we prefer to skip the P&O tours and do our own thing, but we particularly wanted to do both Loen Skylift and Kjenndal and that seems to be an awkward combination to do independently!

2 hours ago, HappyGiraffe said:

For reference, the shuttlebus inc Skylift ticket is now 80euros (£70ish, assuming a good exchange rate), while the P&O excursion to just Kjenndal was £55 (couldn't find a viable option for doing this DIY other than hiring a car?) and the P&O combined excursion to both was £85 ish. 

We considered doing the P&O Kjenndal excursion and then DIYing the skylift so we could spend more time at each, but overall decided that it was a lot cheaper and less stressful timing-wise to go with the combined excursion and then have half a day free to explore Olden on foot. If you'd prefer not to be rushed and have lots of time at the top of the cable car, then the shuttle bus may suit you better than an organised tour - the tour will definitely make sure you get back to the ship on time but you won't have the freedom to take a later coach if you want to stay longer. Normally we prefer to skip the P&O tours and do our own thing, but we particularly wanted to do both Loen Skylift and Kjenndal and that seems to be an awkward combination to do independently!

Thank you I think I will book p o excursions as it not bad value doing both. Can't believe I'm doing the sky lift hope I don't regret it