Airlines that are safe from Singapore!

dpkd

Hello everybody! I will be traveling from Singapore to Australia and see ridiculous cheap airfare on Scoot. Is this a Reputable company? If not, who would you recommend or do you know of a website that could help me? Thank you in advance!

Edited by dpkd
Forgot one thing

Er, presumably you mean "Airlines from Singapore that are safe", or even "Airlines flying from Singapore that are safe"?

Where in Australia are you going?

And if Scoot has caught your eye, presumably "cheap" is very very important to you?

Personally, I'd be much more likely to be on British Airways, Qantas or Singapore Airlines myself.

• Like 1

Scoot is a discount airline, flying to several cities in Asia. Their safety record is similar to their competitors, but they do have a few more issues with cancelling flights and late arrivals than their competitors. Also, walk yourself through the booking process and you'll see that the price goes up a good amount by the time you get through seats and bags. If they have a similar flight available, Air Asia has a better record when it comes to not cancelling flights and on time arrivals.

• Like 1

I believe that Scoot is the low cost arm of Singapore Airlines.

This past Feb we flew Scoot from Krabi, Thailand to Singapore, then Singapore to Gold Coast, Australia. Both flights were perfect.  On time.  They have a 10KG allowance for carry on.  Most other low cost airlines are only 7KG.   The total cost of our flight was $200. AUD (145 USD).  We would not hesitate to book Scoot again.  Our Australian friends use them often.  I think the trick with Scoot, and some others, is that if you see the flight you want at the right price then book it.  If you wait, chances are the price will only increase.

You might try Jetstar.  Jetstar Australia is the low cost sub of Qantas.  Last month we flew Sydney to Honolulu on Jetstar.  It turned out to be a code share with Qantas.  We had the same experience three years ago.  Both times we required one way flights home from Sydney.   We wanted to break up the trip.  It was considerably less expensive to do this, then fly on from Honolulu.  The air fare savings paid for our two night hotel stay.  Jetstar are fine.  We flew also flew them last month Brisban-Hobart and then Launceston-Sydney.  We have also flown Jetstar in Vietnam.  They have all been good flights.   They have a 7KG carry on limit but you can purchase, as we did, an upgrade to 10KG.  Yes, they do weigh everything, including purse.

We only do carry on.   You do pay extra for checked bags, meals, and selecting seats on these airlines but the cost is much lower than on US airlines.  I think we paid $5 to select our seats.    The Jetstar flight to Honolulu last month cost $750 CAD ($560 USD) total for two people.  That price included paying for our seats, paying for one meal, paying for entertainment, and paying for a 7KG-10KG upgrade on our carry on.

They have a few bundled package options as well.  You just have to do the math to determine if it is good for you.

The prices vary on both airlines depending on when you book and when you travel.   Had we left Sydney two days earlier or later the Jetstar flight would have cost a fair bit more.

We have spent the last five winters in SE Asia with side trips to Australia.  Each trip has involved at least two Air Asia flights, often more.   We have been very pleased with Air Asia service.  I suspect the Air Asia may route your through Kuala Lumpur whereas Scoot may be direct.  We have also done Tiger and Nok but I do not think they fly the roots that you need.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

We booked our Feb Krabi-Gold Coast Scoot flight  in mid Sept.  We booked our March Jetstar flight from Sydney to HNL at the same time-mid Sept.  We booked our late Feb early March Jetstar flights to Tasmania in mid Nov. after our Australian friends gave us a heads up on a Jetstar sale.

For the longer flights in SE Asia we find it best, when possible to book well in advance.  Not so much for the quick 60 or 90 minute short hops.  Often less than 10 days out, sometime less.

Virgin Australia may have flights from Singapore to Australia.  We have flown them in Australia and would do so again.

Edited by iancal

Thank you so much for your experiences and advice! I am a novice when it comes to finding out info on international travel and this is a great starting point!

• 3 months later...

Scoot is wholly owned subsidiary of Singapore Airlines.  They are low cost, so don't expect any frills.  And they seem to have had some reliability issues of late, but safety-wise they are not different from other Airlines.  I've flown with Scoot a few times, but not recently.

This video is a flight to Hong Kong from Singapore on Scoot.  Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Scoot has a premium product called ScootBiz.  Think of it like Premium Economy.  This was our experience to Hangzhou, China, also on their Boeing 787 Dreamliner.