Mariner Society Question

ScottC4746

We were originally booked in a Veranda (sorry I don't remember the category) and received an upgrade offer to an NS.  I just looked at my credits from the cruise and we did not get double points for the suite.  Is it because of the upgrade offer?

That's right.  Mariner points (or days) are awarded based on your original booking.  You would have been awarded double points had you upgraded to a NS before final payment and paid full price.  If the offer comes from HAL after final payment (at a hugely discounted rate) you get points based on your original cabin.

3 minutes ago, myjillian said:

My husband was soooo disappointed when we received our 100 cruise day level and they wern't giving out that medalian (sp) any more.  😍

According to the FAQ on their website:

"Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star Mariners. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status."

6 minutes ago, myjillian said:

My husband was soooo disappointed when we received our 100 cruise day level and they wern't giving out that medalian (sp) any more.  😍

If you have 100 actual DAYS of cruising you get the medal.  This is not the same as 100 Mariner days however.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

We were originally booked in a Veranda (sorry I don't remember the category) and received an upgrade offer to an NS.  I just looked at my credits from the cruise and we did not get double points for the suite.  Is it because of the upgrade offer?

Unless you BOOKED the cruise that have SUITE in its name, when you upgrade you only get single days.  That is one reason why I generally book the Signature Suites.  I JUST looked at mine from the same cruise:

Cruise and Tour Days: 7
Onboard Spending: 4
Suite Bonus: 7

Edited by DaveOKC

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

Unless you BOOKED the cruise that have SUITE in its name, when you upgrade you only get single days.  That is one reason why I generally book the Signature Suites.

Thank you, I just like an outside cabin so I will have a bathtub🤗 ( it's the cheapest way to get one !

1 minute ago, myjillian said:

Thank you, I just like an outside cabin so I will have a bathtub🤗 ( it's the cheapest way to get one !

You sold me.  That means you have a slightly bigger bathroom in an OS versus and inside.

17 minutes ago, myjillian said:

We got our 100 day medallions on our cruise last August. Now that 100 days on the ship, not 100 Mariner Days/Points. Its like the airline BIS miles. You actually have to sit in the airline seat for 1 Flying Million Miles to earn the 1MM Status. 

For example, we are 4-Star Mariners (200 days/points) and Bronze (100 Days) Level on HAL. Total and separate distinctions. And if I remember correctly, there are no real perks associated with the various Medallion levels.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, myjillian said:

When did this happen???  On our last HAL cruise ( a few yrs ago ) they were not giving them out !!! Thank you my husband will be so happy !!!

For awhile, when HAL switched to the Star program,  medallions were not given out. We were caught in that time frame. After an outcry, HAL  did start the medallions again and I emailed the Mariner Society and we were sent ours in the mail. 

37 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

For awhile, when HAL switched to the Star program,  medallions were not given out. We were caught in that time frame. After an outcry, HAL  did start the medallions again and I emailed the Mariner Society and we were sent ours in the mail. 

What do they look like?  I see the word medallions and I think of what Mercedes-Benz use to offer car owners when then hit certain millage thresholds of a medallion to attach to your front grill. 

39 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Hope this picture takes of the medallions.

2wr0oco.jpg

Just in case anyone is curious about why there are so many medals on display:  it was on the Prinsendam on the final segment of a Grand Med in 2013. There were so many people with medals and/or receiving medals that the ceremony was held in the main Showroom, which was 3/4 full.  (My DH took the picture.)  

Edited by catl331

2 hours ago, myjillian said:

He can have mine.... I generally throw them away  as soon as I get them.... He is not missing anything more than the value of the prize in a cracker jack box.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

He can have mine.... I generally throw them away  as soon as I get them.... He is not missing anything more than the value of the prize in a cracker jack box.

And how many times have you done that?  🙄

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Just in case anyone is curious about why there are so many medals on display:  it was on the Prinsendam on the final segment of a Grand Med in 2013. There were so many people with medals and/or receiving medals that the ceremony was held in the main Showroom, which was 3/4 full.  (My DH took the picture.)  

We have noticed that on the longer cruises the number of medals awarded increase dramatically (for obvious reasons).

Last week on our 7 day there were just a few Bronze and 1 Silver - no Gold.

19 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

It's always so nice to read your highly positive posts that add so much to the enjoyment of Cruise Critic.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

And how many times have you done that?  🙄

To tell you the truth I really have not kept count  Tiles medals, pins... sort of silly really... they were the "selfie of the day" for bragging rights or some such thing..  Not just for HAL  but for any line. .....

9183741-15337408777729142.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, myjillian said:

When did this happen???  On our last HAL cruise ( a few yrs ago ) they were not giving them out !!! Thank you my husband will be so happy !!!

I received the Bronze medallion on my last HAL cruise last spring on the Volendam.

Edited by DocJohnB

5 hours ago, myjillian said:

They never stopped giving out the Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels, and I believe it was only a few months that they didn't give out the Copper/Bronze until they changed their minds and reinstated it.   If you have 100+ actual sea days, not Mariner Credits, write to the Mariner Society and they will send them to you.

Edited by catl331

2 hours ago, catl331 said:

They never stopped giving out the Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels, and I believe it was only a few months that they didn't give out the Copper/Bronze until they changed their minds and reinstated it.   If you have 100+ actual sea days, not Mariner Credits, write to the Mariner Society and they will send them to you.

Thank you, I will do that and hopefully he will get it for his birthday as a surprise LOL