Cruise Critic Community
kwahl1

Porto and Porto airport

We are booked on the Emerald Radiance sailing the Douro River in August. We need to fly out of Porto and looking at the times, can anyone say if these time are doable? We are going to Tegel-Berlin from Porto. Morning flights leave 5, 6 and 7 AM Can we make them with disembarking on the final day?

The other options are late afternoon and very late arrival into Berlin, airport hotel.

KEN

You can certainly disembark on the day of your departure from Porto. Based on passenger departure flight times, Emerald will provide transfers from the ship to the airport to get you there within the recommended check-in times, which in your case would be 90 minutes. In the early morning it shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to get from the port to the airport. 

1 hour ago, kwahl1 said:

We are booked on the Emerald Radiance sailing the Douro River in August. We need to fly out of Porto and looking at the times, can anyone say if these time are doable? We are going to Tegel-Berlin from Porto. Morning flights leave 5, 6 and 7 AM Can we make them with disembarking on the final day?

The other options are late afternoon and very late arrival into Berlin, airport hotel.

KEN

I don't know what time your ship is scheduled to dock but taxi to airport takes only about 20 - 25 minutes. Your ship should also provide transfers. You should easily be able to make th 7am flight if you self disembark - cruise staff is extremely helpful.

40 minutes ago, laverendrye said:

You can certainly disembark on the day of your departure from Porto. Based on passenger departure flight times, Emerald will provide transfers from the ship to the airport to get you there within the recommended check-in times, which in your case would be 90 minutes. In the early morning it shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to get from the port to the airport. 

Yes I know the transfer is included, just wondering if this early horrible fight times are within their realm. Can they get us to the airport at that time, or am I bound to the charter buses at a slightly later hour. "Forget it, we're not taking you to the airport at 4:30 in the morning".  Our other option is to take the train up to Lisbon for a leisurely ride and catch the early evening flight their. The Porto flight is going to route via Lisbon anyway.

1 hour ago, kwahl1 said:

Yes I know the transfer is included, just wondering if this early horrible fight times are within their realm. Can they get us to the airport at that time, or am I bound to the charter buses at a slightly later hour. "Forget it, we're not taking you to the airport at 4:30 in the morning".  Our other option is to take the train up to Lisbon for a leisurely ride and catch the early evening flight their. The Porto flight is going to route via Lisbon anyway.

You can ask to have a taxi reserved for your early morning flight - that way you will be assured of making your flight on time.

Mystery solved.  Emerald Waterways confirmed with me that there is not a problem getting to the airport for a 7:00 AM flight.  The ship the Emerald Radiance docks in Porto the night before.  Just means a very early wake up.  Thanks all

Emerald was great in getting us to our very early AM out of Amsterdam last year, we were not the only passengers leaving early!

We were on AMAVida last October and our ship was overnight in Porto the last day. Some pax left at 3 am to catch their flights with no problems.  AMA booked all the transportation for those leaving. We stayed on 2 days on our own and woke up to an empty ship! 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, SCHappilyRetired said:

We were on AMAVida last October and our ship was overnight in Porto the last day. Some pax left at 3 am to catch their flights with no problems.  AMA booked all the transportation for those leaving. We stayed on 2 days on our own and woke up to an empty ship! 

I know this thread is a bit old but was just curious about your AMA cruise...…..I sailed with them in 2016 and loved it.

I will be in Europe in April (going on a crossing) and I want to take another cruise...….I have never visited Portugal...…...how was it?

Thanks!

Lois. I did a pretty extensive review on this if you want to look back. This was our 5th river with AMA and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Not for everyone as there is busing at each port, or should I say dock! But, we knew that with our research and actually enjoyed seeing the countryside. We stayed on Porto for 2 days after on our own.  Not to be missed.  Beautiful city.  We arrived a day early in Lisbon as we took a private tour to Fatima.  Portugal is beautiful as are the people.  

7 hours ago, SCHappilyRetired said:

Lois. I did a pretty extensive review on this if you want to look back. This was our 5th river with AMA and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Not for everyone as there is busing at each port, or should I say dock! But, we knew that with our research and actually enjoyed seeing the countryside. We stayed on Porto for 2 days after on our own.  Not to be missed.  Beautiful city.  We arrived a day early in Lisbon as we took a private tour to Fatima.  Portugal is beautiful as are the people.  

Hi, thanks....I went back to start reading it......your details are terrific:classic_biggrin:

9 hours ago, SCHappilyRetired said:

We stayed on Porto for 2 days after on our own.  Not to be missed.  Beautiful city.  We arrived a day early in Lisbon as we took a private tour to Fatima.  Portugal is beautiful as are the people.  

We also have enjoyed our too-brief stays in Lisbon. That's why we decided to do a DIY trip to Portugal next month. I should read your review for additional hints.

We will fly into Lisbon, and spend a few days getting to Porto, with lots of stops and three nights along the way. Two nights in Porto, touring the city and the Douro region, then an overnight in Salamanca before we finish up with two nights in Madrid. We leave in less than two weeks - can't wait!

44 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We also have enjoyed our too-brief stays in Lisbon. That's why we decided to do a DIY trip to Portugal next month. I should read your review for additional hints.

We will fly into Lisbon, and spend a few days getting to Porto, with lots of stops and three nights along the way. Two nights in Porto, touring the city and the Douro region, then an overnight in Salamanca before we finish up with two nights in Madrid. We leave in less than two weeks - can't wait!

Good morning JP, sounds wonderful and of course I know you will tell us all about it upon your return:classic_biggrin:

I too hope that you do a review JP. I have enjoyed your other reviews that I have read, and we are planning a DIY trip to Bordeaux, San Sebastian, Madrid, Lisbon and Porto next year. Probably straight after Christmas. 

Edited by djh1959

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

What stops did you plan between Lisbon and Porto?  We are DIYing next year in the opposite direction.  While in Porto we will take a day tour to Braga and Guimares and another to Pinhao.  Then with a rental car we will visit CoimbraAlcobaca, Batalha and Tomar; and Sintra.  End up in Lisbon for a cruise.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What stops did you plan between Lisbon and Porto?  

Jazz - we have been to Sintra and we considered spending the first night in Lisbon to have another visit there. But there is SO much to do between Lisbon and Porto that we don't have time.

We land in the morning, pick up our rental car, and drive from the airport east into the Alentejo region. There are a few megalithic sites to stop at before we arrive in Evora. Depending on whether we make good time or not, and whether or not we are awake, we will stop off at a winery before checking in to our hotel for night 1 in Evora. If we get lazy, there is a winery which does tastings at a place right in Evora town.

Day 2 we will drive further east from Evora to Elvas (a few miles from the border with Spain), then turn north and go by the viewpoint at Alter do Chao, then turn back west and end up at Tomar for two nights. If we have time we will stop by the Almoural Castle along the way.

Day 3 we will spend in Tomar, and also drive up to the Roman Ruins at Conimbriga. We considered a few other side trips from Tomar but had to cut down - Alcobaca was definitely on the short list, as was Obidos, and also the Roman Villa at Cardilio, but we figured that we'd better leave some time to enjoy Tomar - which looks like a great place.

Day 4 we leave Tomar and stop by Coimbra for half a day before arriving at our hotel in Porto.

And there are about 3x this many places we could have stopped, if we had unlimited time. I am bummed to miss Obidos, and I really wanted to visit the Westernmost point in Mainland Europe, but not enough time...

Edited by jpalbny

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Jazz - we have been to Sintra and we considered spending the first night in Lisbon to have another visit there. But there is SO much to do between Lisbon and Porto that we don't have time.

We land in the morning, pick up our rental car, and drive from the airport east into the Alentejo region. There are a few megalithic sites to stop at before we arrive in Evora. Depending on whether we make good time or not, and whether or not we are awake, we will stop off at a winery before checking in to our hotel for night 1 in Evora. If we get lazy, there is a winery which does tastings at a place right in Evora town.

Day 2 we will drive further east from Evora to Elvas (a few miles from the border with Spain), then turn north and go by the viewpoint at Alter do Chao, then turn back west and end up at Tomar for two nights. If we have time we will stop by the Almoural Castle along the way.

Day 3 we will spend in Tomar, and also drive up to the Roman Ruins at Conimbriga. We considered a few other side trips from Tomar but had to cut down - Alcobaca was definitely on the short list, as was Obidos, and also the Roman Villa at Cardilio, but we figured that we'd better leave some time to enjoy Tomar - which looks like a great place.

Day 4 we leave Tomar and stop by Coimbra for half a day before arriving at our hotel in Porto.

And there are about 3x this many places we could have stopped, if we had unlimited time. I am bummed to miss Obidos, and I really wanted to visit the Westernmost point in Mainland Europe, but not enough time...

Yes, we found the same thing:  too many great sights in Portugal no matter how much time you can allot!  I had originally tried to include Evora, but after our last two trips where DW complains that I get to see lots more sights [as navigator] than she does [as driver], I really tried to minimize the [non-interstate] driving.  Alcobaca may even get cut, as it adds a bit to that day's driving.  Would drive straight to Lisbon and then get a taxi back to Sintra [because of the mountain roads to get there/back], except that it seems that having a car in Sintra could be useful [especially as the hotel offers free parking] and the taxi trips would take away from valuable sightseeing time.

But I haven't actually registered some of the sights you are planning – so I definitely look forward to your review!  I'm sure another trip to Portugal will show up in our future...

@kwahl1 – Sorry for taking this thread so far off topic, but I think you got your answer already.  This is what happens in a loosely-monitored forum!  But we have a great community :classic_biggrin:

To @jpalbny and everyone else:  you should see some of the 'Report post' comments!  Some people have such a narrow idea of what a Cruise Critic forum should allow.  My guess is they've never been to a neighborhood bar [or pub – sorry, 'neighbourhood pub'].

I am so happy that people on this forum [and several others I frequent] get to know each other and feel free to go 'off topic' in very natural ways.  [And I, of course, am one of the prime offenders!]

This is a question I think I know the answer to but figured that is why folks are helpful:classic_smile:.....at the end of my river

cruise I am going to Madrid for a couple of days...…...am I correct in thinking flying from Porto to Madrid is the easiest way to get there?

I checked flights and trains...…….train says it is 9 hour ride!

Lois, I'd fly - unless you want to make stops along the way. The train isn't useful here (we looked).

Chris and I just drove from Porto to Madrid and though it wasn't bad, it was a slog. We spent a night in Salamanca along the way.

Porto to Salamanca was about 4 hours, and we made a few stops along the way so it took all day. We were on the road (and making stops) for about 11 hours.

We really enjoyed Salamanca, and ended up spending the morning there, then drove the remaining 2h15 to Madrid.

I am pretty sure that you don't want to drive, just sharing that in case anyone else is interested. It is a pretty drive, though. The Douro valley is beautiful. 

Hi JP, you are correct, no driving for me.  I will book a flight:classic_smile: