Cruise Critic Community
kwahl1

Porto and Porto airport

So cool that we visited many of the same places! Same as you, the folks staffing the castle at Lamego told us about the museum, so we went there and the staff were so happy to see us. There was a volunteer there explaining everything so we also saw the different strata from different eras, and the skeleton too. 

RE: food, we are both fairly adventurous eaters and one of the things that we really try to do is eat the cuisine of the places we visit. So we will try as many local restaurants as we can, eating anything that's a local specialty (within reason), and try to match it up with a local wine or beer.

I didn't use Google Translate too much here other than to translate a few words here and there. Chris is pretty good with Spanish, and I am good with French, so between all of that we can figure out a lot of written Portuguese despite being pretty much unable to speak it at all. We also did a few weeks of DuoLingo Portuguese before the trip so we learned a lot of food terms there. Food and wine are the most important, yes? 

So we usually can figure out our way around a menu, even if we're stuck without an English translation. But we always try to figure out what the local specialty is, and eat that. Thus the amazing tomato soup in Evora, the street food in Marvao, the "pork stroganoff" in Tomar, and the delicious seafood in Porto. And all of those amazing Portuguese wines! 

Ha, after all of that food, I bet that you can tell that I eat well, just from looking at my pictures! 🐷🤣 We are now working on burning off some of those extra calories in preparation for our Silversea cruise next month, where we will reingest all of those calories... It is definitely a futile pursuit!

On 12/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, bubbulz said:

We'll be there at the end of November so we feel the same. From the photos I've found, it looks like the balconies for the Vintage Grand View Balcony rooms aren't terribly large.

image.png.8fc634b254324dc31327b28a358d48a0.png

That picture shows it well.  I haven't been able to find any like that.  It is pretty similar to a lot of the balconies we have had in European cities.  We had them in Venice and Rome, no room for a seat, but you can stand with a drink and drink in the view.  Worth every penny!  I think there is one room level above Grand View Balcony, but in winter it is probably not worth the extra money.

Toll Update:  Rcv'd an email from Sixt, another 33 Euro's in tolls had come through the system since I returned the car.  I was previously charged 15 euros for tolls and 7.50 euros for the transponder (1.5 E/day). Total: 55.50 Euro for around 1000 km's of driving, 75% or so on the toll roads.

It's not cheap, but the roads are in super shape, not that crowded away from cities, and get you out into the countryside.  Well worth it to rent a car.

6 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Toll Update:  Rcv'd an email from Sixt, another 33 Euro's in tolls had come through the system since I returned the car.  I was previously charged 15 euros for tolls and 7.50 euros for the transponder (1.5 E/day). Total: 55.50 Euro for around 1000 km's of driving, 75% or so on the toll roads.

It's not cheap, but the roads are in super shape, not that crowded away from cities, and get you out into the countryside.  Well worth it to rent a car.

Good to know! Thanks very much for the update.