Severe weather in Florida

ALaver

Once again I am hoping my Cruise Critic family has some ideas. I’ve been up all night trying to work this out and am running out of ideas. Does RCCL have anyone at the airport that could grab the bags and get them to the ship? Just a thought.

23 minutes ago, ALaver said:

I just got a notification that they flight has arrived in Miami, so they will make the cruise. However, their bags are still in Dallas. The bags won’t make it to Miami until 2:23 this afternoon. I don’t know what to do. The airline won’t be able to get the bags to the ship in time. I don’t know anyone in Miami that could pick up the bags and get them to the ship. 

Taxi service 🤔

Parcel courier 🤔

22 minutes ago, ALaver said:

Once again I am hoping my Cruise Critic family has some ideas. I’ve been up all night trying to work this out and am running out of ideas.

Where's the first port of call?  Can the airline send 'em on to there?  Note that they may not be able to because of customs, etc.  Also, it may require a few $$$.

--bruce T.

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If they wait for the bags, they will not make the ship.  They need to be checked in at the port 90 minutes prior to sailing time.

Could they check in, then return to the airport?  And yes, I know the timing would be REAL tight...

--bruce T.

1 minute ago, Btank said:

Could they check in, then return to the airport?  And yes, I know the timing would be REAL tight...

--bruce T.

They are an older couple, at least one with a medical issue, I do not think I would risk it.  They have lots of time now to go buy essentials.  I would be doing that.

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They are an older couple, at least one with a medical issue, I do not think I would risk it.  They have lots of time now to go buy essentials.

Seems legit.  OP, There's a Walmart 20 minutes away (I-95 and Broward Blvd).  Alternative is Oakwood Plaza - about 15 minutes away, with a Ross Dress for Less and Marshall's (I-95 & Stirling Rd).

--bruce T.

Edited by Btank
  • Like 2

I would be making a Target run then boarding the ship. Travel insurance should cover the extra costs, depending on how long they are separated from their luggage. Once on the ship, I would see what options I have regarding the luggage. There is a possibility the ship will leave a little late to give delayed travelers an opportunity to make it. We have had that happen on a couple of cruises. 

6 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Have the Uber driver wait for the luggage! 👍

Still gonna be real tight.  If the flight arrives at 2:21 (I think that was the time?).  Add 20 minutes for baggage at FLL + then 10 minutes for getting back to the garage & out of the airport + 20 minutes to drive from FLL to the terminal.

--bruce T.

4 minutes ago, ALaver said:

They are waiting at the airport for the bags. I have a limo picking them up at the airport at 2:45. Rccl says that they need to get to the pier by 3:30. Will they make it??

It is a 10 minute ride to the port, so if all works well, they will be fine.  Having the cruise line aware of their circumstances will definitely help.  If you know what flight the bags are supposed to be on, keep an eye on that flight and have them go to the port if the flight is delayed.  Good luck!

Edit:  I am thinking FLL, not MIA.  Not sure how long it is to the port.

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Btank said:

Seems legit.  OP, There's a Walmart 20 minutes away (I-95 and Broward Blvd).  Alternative is Oakwood Plaza - about 15 minutes away, with a Ross Dress for Less and Marshall's (I-95 & Stirling Rd).

--bruce T.

I think they said they are Miami...

1 minute ago, ALaver said:

They are waiting at the airport for the bags. I have a limo picking them up at the airport at 2:45. Rccl says that they need to get to the pier by 3:30. Will they make it??

Looks doable but why not have the limo get there a little earlier? 

Personally, waiting for that luggage is just cutting it too close.  You cannot trust the airline to get the luggage there, you cannot trust baggage system to get the luggage into their hands quickly, and you cannot trust limo/traffic to be delay free.

Like the others, I’d be sending them to a discount store to buy some essentials for cruise now.  Verify that all their prescriptions and other medical needs were in their carry on luggage; if not, replace those.  Then on to port with big smiles plastered on their faces because they made it to port.  

In the background, do contact try to get help from airline and cruiseline with luggage delay.  Or perhaps you can find an Uber driver or personal assistant willing wait at airport to pick up bags and deliver them to port if bags do arrive in time.  Biggest thing is to get them on ship in good health.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DeepC said:

I think they said they are Miami...

Arrrgh, you're right.  I picked up FLL from an earlier post.  OP, there's a Target about 10 miles west of MIA in the Fountain Square Shopping Center (Flagler & 97th) - but you're gonna hit traffic going both ways.

--bruce T.

Edited by Btank

Just got off Symphony and thinking of you and your family!!

I’m so glad that your dad got to MIA and I hope that they can be reunited with luggage soon!

I definitely would encourage a target or pharmacy run as I would not want to miss my cruise just because my luggage didn’t make it. I do suspect that there are several others in the same situation today so maybe that will give you a few extra minutes to get to the Port. It took us 20 min in traffic last Saturday at 10:30am to get from MIA to POM.

Please let us know how it goes! Keeping in touch with the airline and Royal does seem like the best plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1