Tender in Ketchikan

ikesyd

We will be on board the Coral Princess that will be tendering in Ketchikan on Monday 19th August. Can anyone let me know where the tender boats let you off and how long the trip ashore will take? We need to find our van for our flight to Traitors Cove that will be parked just north of the Ketchikan Liquid Sunshine Gauge. 

They will let you off near all the other cruise ships. It will be near the Ketchikan Liquid Sunshine Gauge. No worries.

Main issue is that cruise ship tours go first on tenders so it is difficult to tell you how long it will take. Also, due to the current - there maybe a steep staircase to climb to get to land level. 

Does your tour operator know that you will be tendering? If so, you will be fine.

The tender dock,  in the past has been near dock  3.    Anywhere they drop you,  will be convenient for getting to tours.     

Your pick up is at the Visitor Center,   a green  building.   to the right,  facing the town, near dock 1 and 2.     IF you come into the tender dock of the past,  simply go up the ramp-   and turn right,   pass the Tongass Store and tunnel.   Rain gage is ahead of you on the green building.   

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Is it a staircase with steps or is it a flat surface ramp?

When I did it (several years ago) it had steps. It was safe and everything - just thought I would mention it. Also, often ships leave and then those ships that had tendered later dock.

There maybe a different ramp depending on the tide.

I have docked the last few times.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Coral said:

When I did it (several years ago) it had steps. It was safe and everything - just thought I would mention it. Also, often ships leave and then those ships that had tendered later dock.

There maybe a different ramp depending on the tide.

I have docked the last few times.

Thanks for your reply.  In this day of the ADA law, I would be surprised that whatever ramp that leads from the tender landing to shore side would not be a flat surface ramp suitable for wheelchairs, etc.

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your reply.  In this day of the ADA law, I would be surprised that whatever ramp that leads from the tender landing to shore side would not be a flat surface ramp suitable for wheelchairs, etc.

The problem is tendering is not always possible with those in wheelchairs or scooters (especially scooters). I am very familiar with ADA as we were some of the first to have a Seeing Eye dog on cruise ships and ADA did not cover cruise ships when we first started sailing (a later Supreme Court ruling did rule they must abide by ADA but there are provisions that don't include everything).

The last time I tendered, it was before they built the 2 new piers. I want to say there were 2 different levels depending on the water level. I can tell you that the steps I remember were very steep and there is no way you could do a ramp. I think there is another level which may have a ramp. Hopefully BudgetQueen will pop in as my last several trips have docked.

Edited by Coral

There may very well be steps involved on the ship with tendering.  Very common.    But,  it is ramp on land.  However-   at low tide it can be very steep,  and very challenging for w/c's and mobility concerns.      IF of any concern,   know what the tides are-  now,   and if possible schedule for climbing ramps at high tide..    Same with float planes and whale watches.     I was involved with this for several years.  

On 4/19/2019 at 7:54 PM, Coral said:

Main issue is that cruise ship tours go first on tenders so it is difficult to tell you how long it will take. Also, due to the current - there maybe a steep staircase to climb to get to land level. 

Not sure if you mean  tides and not "current".   But the docks are floating,  and not stairs.    Stairs would be involved on the ship.  

7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

There may very well be steps involved on the ship with tendering.  Very common.    But,  it is ramp on land.  However-   at low tide it can be very steep,  and very challenging for w/c's and mobility concerns.      IF of any concern,   know what the tides are-  now,   and if possible schedule for climbing ramps at high tide..    Same with float planes and whale watches.     I was involved with this for several years.  

At one time I did have stairs walking up in Ketchikan (off the tender, not on the ship).

Edited by Coral

On a related note about Ketchikan, I know there will be three ships in port (including ours) this Summer and I cannot find any information as to the docking capacity of Ketchikan. Can three ships be accommodated at the dock(s) in Ketchikan?

2 hours ago, joepeka said:

On a related note about Ketchikan, I know there will be three ships in port (including ours) this Summer and I cannot find any information as to the docking capacity of Ketchikan. Can three ships be accommodated at the dock(s) in Ketchikan?

Yes. Most days in the summer there are 3 - 5 ships at a time. I noticed one day even has 6 ships.

• Like 1