DL Overcrowding

Empehi

Has anyone heard rumors concerning DL overcrowding (especially on the Oasis class ships). I am afraid that some sort of adjustment (perhaps increasing the requirements for DL access) may be coming in the future. Anyone heard anything?

• Haha 1

Heard about it? Only like every 6 months or so. There have been no announcements made, only speculation, although many of the concierge lounges have been converted to suite/pinnacle lounges. What that means for the Diamond Lounges? Your guess is as good as anyone else's. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Has anyone heard rumors concerning DL overcrowding (especially on the Oasis class ships). I am afraid that some sort of adjustment (perhaps increasing the requirements for DL access) may be coming in the future. Anyone heard anything?

Nothing announced by the cruise line.

I think the overcrowding is the reason 3 drinks are put onto our ship's card -- limited selection and during DL happy hour only. The DL usually gets less crowded during early dining, which is one reason we prefer late dining. I've never been on Oasis class. Is it more crowded than other classes?

Edited by Jimnbigd

38 minutes ago, Jimnbigd said:

I think the overcrowding is the reason 3 drinks are put onto our ship's card -- limited selection and during DL happy hour only. The DL usually gets less crowded during early dining, which is one reason we prefer late dining. I've never been on Oasis class. Is it more crowded than other classes?

From my experience it is not the class of ship but more to do with cruise port and time of year.  I have been on oasis class during the summer and it is not as crowded as her sailing in the fall.  Explorer, sailing Alaska in July, the dl was empty during happy hour.  Actually since making diamond 3 years ago, the Alaska sailing during summer was the most empty I have ever seen a d lounge.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes.

I hope you had a restful time away.

You asked someone previously about the UK C&A freephone number and i remember they were reluctant to give it so I found our D+ card while clearing files so hopefully the number will help some members.

IMG_20190419_195708.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Empehi said:

In our regular experience of Mediterranean cruises the DL is usually only half full.

Some cruises from the UK can have busy DLs but nothing like the reports in the US.

The loss of CLs to SLs and loss of access to D+ has a big affect on the numbers in the DL.

It is probably inevitable that RC will do something to alleviate the overcrowding probably increasing the number of free drinks outside the DL to current D members in exchange for D members losing DL cocktail privellages.

In case anyone thinks I am biased as a D+ on our last 3 night Southampton cruise on Independence we didn't go into the DL during cocktail hours instead we went to Boleros and the champagne bar each night before going to Giovanni's.

Graham.

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You asked someone previously about the UK C&A freephone number and i remember they were reluctant to give it so I found our D+ card while clearing files so hopefully the number will help some members.

IMG_20190419_195708.jpg

No offence but it was me who was reluctant to post it. My reasoning is that it is only meant for D+ and above, don't you think that by posting it on here everyone will be ringing it and it defeats the object of having it? Everyone who is entitled to use that number has it anyway.

Julie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kernow said:

No offence but it was me who was reluctant to post it. My reasoning is that it is only meant for D+ and above, don't you think that by posting it on here everyone will be ringing it and it defeats the object of having it? Everyone who is entitled to use that number has it anyway.

Julie

I had forgotten the number until I found our D+ card so I might well have asked Host Clarea for the number myself.

I understand and respect your reasoning and had forgotten who had previously posted but you always post helpfully so sorry.

Bob keeps us all informed and I posted for Our Hosts benefit in case any D+ member asked him for that information.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

13 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

You can be sure RCI is aware of it.  We have received email notifications from them concerning the availability of lounges on our upcoming TA on Serenade.

Apparently the TAs always have a  high number of high loyalty C&A members so understandable.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Apparently the TAs always have a  high number of high loyalty C&A members so understandable.

Yes, we have been on several and this is the first one that RCI has sent out emails (We have received the same notice regarding this sailing  twice) about the lounge availability.   

7 hours ago, Empehi said:

Heard they will close all DL starting July 1st!😱

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

29 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Yes, we have been on several and this is the first one that RCI has sent out emails (We have received the same notice regarding this sailing  twice) about the lounge availability.   

That email often announces restrictions to D+

Really not sure why they sent it out since that is not the case 

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

IMG_20190419_195708.jpg

Thank you for posting the number. I turned D+  in September 2018 and have not received the Luggage tags or letter yet. In February 2019 C&A UK stated, in an email, "there is a delay to deliver the Diamond Plus tag. We have confirmed that your are in the list; however, we are unable to advise when it will be shipped.

8 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

Thank you for posting the number. I turned D+  in September 2018 and have not received the Luggage tags or letter yet. In February 2019 C&A UK stated, in an email, "there is a delay to deliver the Diamond Plus tag. We have confirmed that your are in the list; however, we are unable to advise when it will be shipped.

Your welcome thanks.

The easiest solution if your are worried about overcrowding is to sail when it's expensive.  We are not even P and have been top 3 cruisers more than once on the Freedom during 4th of July and NYE cruises.  Crowding was never an issue.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I wasn’t aware D+ ever had access to the Suite Lounge? Want access, book a Suite or become Pinnacle. 

I might have missed it though I don’t think anyone was referring to D+ having access to the suite lounge on this thread.  It was about the DL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I might have missed it though I don’t think anyone was referring to D+ having access to the suite lounge on this thread.  It was about the DL.

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I wasn’t aware D+ ever had access to the Suite Lounge? Want access, book a Suite or become Pinnacle. 

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Personally we prefer the DL.

Many people have come from the CL and said to us how much friendlier it is in the DL.

Their comments have been Stuck Up entitled Suite guests and unruly suite guests kids make it unpleasant.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Personally we prefer the DL.

Many people have come from the CL and said to us how much friendlier it is in the DL.

Their comments have been Stuck Up entitled Suite guests and unruly suite guests kids make it unpleasant.

We checked out the CL and DL on our recent Freedom cruises. Hands down the DL. We were in the DL every evening. The big windows and the outside sitting area for the DL was a much better atmosphere than the CL. No problems ever with service, buffet or seating. The DL concierge Jandi Kim was the worst DLC, ever! She was the same for both weeks. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We checked out the CL and DL on our recent Freedom cruise. Hands down the DL. We were in the DL every evening. The big windows and the outside sitting area for the DL was a much better atmosphere than the CL. No problems ever with service, buffet or seating. The DL concierge Jandi Kim was the worst DLC, ever! 

I agree with you my fellow DS.

The small CL on deck 10 is so uninviting and dingy compared to the views from the DL windows.

Last year on Freedom out of Barcelona the DL concierge never moved from her desk.

I only popped into the CL once and although the comfortable looking leather seats looked good the waiter was arrogant.

We were 10 minutes early for a drink but the chocolate strawberries looked nice so we went to get a plate and the waiter told us to keep off so we walked out 

To be fair to the DL concierge she said if we were early into the DL we were free to help ourselves to the buffet.

Edited by grapau27

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree with you my fellow DS.

The small CL on deck 10 is so uninviting and dingy compared to the views from the DL windows.

Last year on Freedom out of Barcelona the DL concierge never moved from her desk.

I only popped into the CL once and although the comfortable looking leather seats looked good the waiter was arrogant.

We were 10 minutes early for a drink but the chocolate strawberries looked nice so we went to get a plate and the waiter told us to keep off so we walked out 

To be fair to the DL concierge she said if we were early into the DL we were free to help ourselves to the buffet.

Some might call that lounge cozy and intimate.  More like a nice club. 😉

• Like 1