Baja Deck Sideways Cabins

MsSoCalCruiser

I booked a sideways cabin on the Baja deck on the Royal Princess. Are all of the sideways cabins the same on each deck?  Is one deck better than others as far as the layout of the room or are they all the same?  I’m looking forward to my first sideways cabin! Thank you. 

6 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I booked a sideways cabin on the Baja deck on the Royal Princess. Are all of the sideways cabins the same on each deck?  Is one deck better than others as far as the layout of the room or are they all the same?  I’m looking forward to my first sideways cabin! Thank you. 

They are the same, other than the bed orientation will either be head to the stern or head to the bow - same as Balcony cabins.  And bathroom will be to left or right.  Anyway, they are all the same, except for those that can hold up to 4 people because they will have bunks folded against the wall, so best to book one that only takes two if that is your party size. 

They are a bit different than you are used to because as soon as you step in the door, you are in the bed area.  However, lots of desk and storage space and most people believe these are slightly larger in total area than a "regular" Inside.  I don't really know as have never measured nor seen any measurements.  I like them okay and they are pretty prevalent on Royal class ships in the mid-fwd, mid, and mid-aft sections.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

They are the same, other than the bed orientation will either be head to the stern or head to the bow - same as Balcony cabins.  And bathroom will be to left or right.  Anyway, they are all the same, except for those that can hold up to 4 people because they will have bunks folded against the wall, so best to book one that only takes two if that is your party size. 

They are a bit different than you are used to because as soon as you step in the door, you are in the bed area.  However, lots of desk and storage space and most people believe these are slightly larger in total area than a "regular" Inside.  I don't really know as have never measured nor seen any measurements.  I like them okay and they are pretty prevalent on Royal class ships in the mid-fwd, mid, and mid-aft sections.

Thank you, Steelers36.   I’m looking forward to trying to this room. I’m curious about the closet area because when I search for photos some photos show closet doors and other photo show open closet area.  The cabins do look a little larger to me because the nightstands aren’t smashed up against the beds like I’m used to in a regular inside cabin. 

A little bit of both regarding the closet. 

With the layout, the sleeping area is on one side with the desk on the opposite wall. There’s an opening next to the desk with a closet area with a combination of wardrobe, open shelving and open closet. At the end of the closet area is the bathroom which makes it quieter and more private than other cabin configurations.

D9CC8958-CF4D-4DEF-9D8B-AFF393588A9C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

There are some really informational threads on sideways cabins on CC.

I see Pam posted here. I was going to suggest getting info from her as she has participated in many of those "sideways" threads.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

With the layout, the sleeping area is on one side with the desk on the opposite wall. There’s an opening next to the desk with a closet area with a combination of wardrobe, open shelving and open closet. At the end of the closet area is the bathroom which makes it quieter and more private than other cabin configurations.

We had the same configuration on Majestic this Feb as Pam's pictures show.  Just a note if not clear to the OP - the vertical closet that contains the safe had a door and whichever ship her pictures are from has it also as I can see the hinge hardware.

While the bathroom seems more hidden away and quiet, if one partner comes in later at night than the other, it is true that the hallway door allows in light and the sleeping is closer to the hallway than in a traditional Inside cabin.

• Like 1

My photos are from the Royal, a sideways cabin on Caribe. Without checking, I think it was C311.

FYI, if you see sideways configurations on opposite sides of the ship and white space between, these are air vents. You will hear noise but it’s constant, not loud and kind like a white noise. 

Linda, lets get together after I get back and I’ll show you lots more photos. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Thanks Pam... This is perfect.  Is there room for the luggage in an area besides under the bed?  The layout looks great.

Also, do you know if the Royal has the new larger TVs like the Ruby does?

Looking forward to seeing you!!!

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thanks Pam... This is perfect.  Is there room for the luggage in an area besides under the bed?  The layout looks great.

You can store luggage in the open closet that you see above in my photo. Not sure if you can tell from the photos but both side of the hallway to the bathroom door have either open closet, shelving or wardrobe. Tons of storage. 

Pretty sure the Royal has the larger TVs but haven’t been on the Royal in a couple of years. I’ll know more in less than a week now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam in CA said:

You can store luggage in the open closet that you see above in my photo. Not sure if you can tell from the photos but both side of the hallway to the bathroom door have either open closet, shelving or wardrobe. Tons of storage. 

Pretty sure the Royal has the larger TVs but haven’t been on the Royal in a couple of years. I’ll know more in less than a week now. 

I’m bummed that I won’t be sailing with you.  If you have time can you please check out B516 for me.  I’m hoping that it’s in a good location. 

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if the luggage would fit so this is good to know.  I really think we’re going to be happy with our choice.

17 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There are some really informational threads on sideways cabins on CC.

I see Pam posted here. I was going to suggest getting info from her as she has participated in many of those "sideways" threads.

Thank you, Colo Cruiser.  I found several threads but I couldn’t figure out if the cabins were all the same.  Pam’s photos were a big help 😊

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steelers36 said:

We had the same configuration on Majestic this Feb as Pam's pictures show.  Just a note if not clear to the OP - the vertical closet that contains the safe had a door and whichever ship her pictures are from has it also as I can see the hinge hardware.

While the bathroom seems more hidden away and quiet, if one partner comes in later at night than the other, it is true that the hallway door allows in light and the sleeping is closer to the hallway than in a traditional Inside cabin.

Sometimes I tend to stay out later than my friend; hopefully I won’t wake her up.

Thank you for letting me know about the door.  

One more vote for these cabins, love them.  The Royal does have the large TV.  As with all cabins, you will find pros and cons.  I sail alone so the con issues aren't a concern.  The desk area and closet areas are bigger than a regular inside and to me, a better option for two people.

Thanks to Pam for the photos as I've always wondered about these cabins on Princess ships (I've never 'wondered' enough to book one though!).

I've done a couple on NCL in 'sideways' interior cabins which were configured similarly and LOVED them.  Something about walking in at the foot of the bed made the room feel bigger (even if I knew it wasn't).  Seeing a few photo's might inspire me to book on on Princess.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:52 AM, Pam in CA said:

This closet is very similar to the ones we had in sideways A508, A 516 & A517 on the Grand Princess April 6th sailing.  Our stateroom was a bit wider with the desk / vanity beside the bed, on the passageway wall.  The partition between bed and closet was more storage, counter space and frig.  We loved our rooms and would gladly book them again.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:25 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Yes, the Royal has very large TVs now. Too large. We were onboard two weeks ago.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 2:07 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

My first cruise on the Royal Princess was in C323 a sideways cabin and I liked it. 

Tony

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

I’m near sighted.  Husband thought it was fine. LOL 

Oops, was half asleep when posting last night.  I a man FAR sighted not nearsighted, which is why the tv was a little hard to see. 

• Like 1