Buying wine in Amsterdam?

surgie

We will be boarding in Amsterdam in August for a 14-day NS British Isles cruise. We would like to take beyond our 2-wine bottle limit onboard and pay the $18 corkage fee per bottle in order to get the varieties we like (specifically good Cabs) rather than take our chances with the ship's wine packages (not interested in bev packages). 

Having never been to Amsterdam, it is doable to shop for good selections of wine before boarding? We will be in Amsterdam for 2 days before the ship departs so we have time. In addition, we could add bottles with stops in Edinburgh, etc. but we don't want to spend too much time wine shopping vs. sightseeing. Thanks for advice. 

We also are leaving from Amsterdam. We are interested in bringing some Local wines onboard. Any suggestions?

We mostly like “grapey” reds like Syrah, Malbec and have enjoyed a few whites like Riesling. (Not s. Blanc, Chardonnay, zinfindel, which have a “feline” taste to me😣)

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Check out the local Albert Heijn supermarket. ah.nl is website. Good selection in most stores.

Agree with VMax.  Assuming your ship leaves from the dock near Centraal Station, there are 2 Albert Heijn supermarkets within walking distance.  When I was in Amsterdam last year for a river cruise, I went there for a quick lunch sandwich and some snacks to take back to my hotel.  I walked thru the whole store just to check it out.  There seemed to be a pretty good selection of wines.  Not sure if they carry feline 😉 wines or not.  

https://www.ah.nl/gal

Roz

Edited by Roz
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We also are leaving from Amsterdam. We are interested in bringing some Local wines onboard. Any suggestions?

We mostly like “grapey” reds like Syrah, Malbec and have enjoyed a few whites like Riesling. (Not s. Blanc, Chardonnay, zinfindel, which have a “feline” taste to me😣)

Oh no now I will think of a cat when I enjoy my sauv blanc! 

4 hours ago, surgie said:

We …….We would like to take beyond our 2-wine bottle limit onboard and pay the $18 corkage fee per bottle in order to get the varieties we like (specifically good Cabs) rather than take our chances with the ship's wine packages (not interested in bev packages). 

Albert Heijn sells for example a "Cab" as you call it which is highly praised by a wellknown dutch wine expert (see the 9 in the lower right corner....) I am very sorry that I am not able to translate the description of the tasting:  

Marques de Casa Concha 2016, Cabernet Sauvignon, Maipo Valley, Chili

Grote wijn van Concha y Toro. Cassis en braam, er is ruimte voor pruim, milde zuren en gesoigneerde specerij. Wederom uitstekend en erg veel wijn voor dit geld. 

€ 14,99………………………….9

• Like 1

Most sommeliers and wine afficionados can tell you that, in New Zealand, source of some of the world's most boisterously scented whites, there's even a brand of Sauvignon Blanc called Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush.  :classic_tongue: Don't know about the U.S. but it is widely available in Canada for approx $19 a bottle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Norton 2015, Malbec Barrel Select, Mendoza, Argentinië Malbec       Red

Vlees moet er op het bord. Barbecue, hamburgers stoofschotel. Vlezig rood natuurlijk. Maar om dat te compenseren wel weer een hele hoop rood rijp fruit en aaibare tannines.   

Albert Heijn € 7,99      8 points (out of 10)

Grans-Fassian 2016, Riesling trocken ‘Schiefer’, Mosel, Duitsland       Wit

Van Gerhard Grans, bekend en geliefd om zijn ‘stalige’ duurzame Riesling. Won al eerder zowel the Riesling Trophy en voor zijn oeuvre de ‘overall’ wittewijnprijs tijdens de International Wine Challenge in Londen. Dit is Riesling op wijnspeciaalzaakniveau. Lekker druivig, stuivend droog.                       Albert Heijn € 9,99    9- points (out of 10)  

As the dutch Hamersma Wine Guide  is published this week, I hope the wines will still be available in August.  Ans I hope you have an app to translate the qualifications in dutch......Enjoy the trip anyway.    

Lenny

Edited by MAVIP
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Most sommeliers and wine afficionados can tell you that, in New Zealand, source of some of the world's most boisterously scented whites, there's even a brand of Sauvignon Blanc called Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush.  :classic_tongue: Don't know about the U.S. but it is widely available in Canada for approx $19 a bottle.

Oh my gosh!

That’s exactly what I was referring to when I called it rather feline. The name is hilarious, so I’m not the only one who tastes that. (For me, most champagne is in the same category.😩😣)

Ill have to look for that here, to prove to my family I not crazy. 

11 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Norton 2015, Malbec Barrel Select, Mendoza, Argentinië Malbec       Red

Vlees moet er op het bord. Barbecue, hamburgers stoofschotel. Vlezig rood natuurlijk. Maar om dat te compenseren wel weer een hele hoop rood rijp fruit en aaibare tannines.   

Albert Heijn € 7,99      8 points (out of 10)

Grans-Fassian 2016, Riesling trocken ‘Schiefer’, Mosel, Duitsland       Wit

Van Gerhard Grans, bekend en geliefd om zijn ‘stalige’ duurzame Riesling. Won al eerder zowel the Riesling Trophy en voor zijn oeuvre de ‘overall’ wittewijnprijs tijdens de International Wine Challenge in Londen. Dit is Riesling op wijnspeciaalzaakniveau. Lekker druivig, stuivend droog.                       Albert Heijn € 9,99    9- points (out of 10)  

As the dutch Hamersma Wine Guide  is published this week, I hope the wines will still be available in August.  Ans I hope you have an app to translate the qualifications in dutch......Enjoy the trip anyway.    

Lenny

Thanks.

Does the Nederlands produce any wines? We love many of the South Americans but were wanting to try something more local to Nederlands or Norway. (Isn’t Norway a tad cold for grapes?)

15 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Don't forget the "Fat Bastard" wines at the LCBO 😄

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks.

Does the Nederlands produce any wines? We love many of the South Americans but were wanting to try something more local to Nederlands or Norway. (Isn’t Norway a tad cold for grapes?)

There are quite a few Dutch vineyards:

https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/information/traditional-dutch-food/dutch-wines.htm

They are not the cheapast, so you would find more affordable wines in supermarkets, expect more from Chile, Australia, South Africa and such.

For stores around the terminal, look for a chain called Gall & Gall, which has manny wines and is part of the chain of supermarkets, called AH.

wijn adam.jpg

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 2

Looking for supermarkets from Albert Heijn (AH), is also a good way to go, they have an excellent selection of affordable wines, I would look for the regular AH shops, not the AH to go, they have a limited shop and cater more to shopping things for on the road.

AH Adam.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks.

Alphen already replied your question about dutch wines. Here is some information on Norwegian production: https://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-norway     I did not drink any of the Norwegian, nor the Dutch wines. What I do understand is that in the Netherlands we have a few very good wines. 

On Damrak Street near the Palace and the New Church same side of the street is a basement level fine wine store.  I found that their prices were reasonable especially for French wines - also some decent prices on Aussie wines.  A great way to do some fun sightseeing on that busy street.   

• Like 1