The Royal in Alaska

denims

I have read on the Princess Form on Facebook (and elsewhere) that the Royal sailing in Alaska is to big and does not handle well at slow speeds. Also does not handle well at in the wind in the Chanel’s. Might not be able to go into Glacier Bay.

What are your thoughts?

5 minutes ago, denims said:

I have read on the Princess Form on Facebook (and elsewhere) that the Royal sailing in Alaska is to big and does not handle well at slow speeds. Also does not handle well at in the wind in the Chanel’s. Might not be able to go into Glacier Bay.

What are your thoughts?

Does not handle well at slow speeds?

Thats a new one.   🤔

Nobody one knows as she has never been in Alaska.

We have sailed on her many times the longest being a tad less than 1 month.

Never had any handling issues and have never read about any.

Personally I don't see her having any navigational/handling issues in Alaska.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, denims said:

What are your thoughts?

The Royal has yet to arrive in Alaska so such conclusions are premature. Based solely on guesswork made by the Southeast Alaska Pilots Association which (if you read the information linked to on the already active thread on this subject) are more interested in CYA than giving their clients a chance to move their newest and largest ships to the region:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Went only once, 20 years ago, small vessels of less than 100 pax.  Truly up close and personal!

My first cruise to Alaska was in 2002 though it was a much larger ship. I wish I could do one of the Un-cruise trips.

Though I do remember some cruises where only our ship was in port. Those were the days.

• Like 1

Well, I'm booked on the Royal Princess to Alaska, this September.

I think it is hilarious that people get wrapped around the axle about the ship they are cruising on.  The worst cruise I have ever taken was wonderful.

If anyone wants to be the only ship in an Alaska port, it's actually fairly easy--go early in the season.  Last year on the Emerald Princess, we were the only ship in all four port stops.  We were not the first ship of the season at these ports.  The Star Princess and the Norwegian Pearl visited the days before us.  This coming Tuesday we are leaving on the Ruby Princess----four days earlier than we left last year--and, yes, it is the same itinerary that we'll be taking on the Royal Princess in September.

• Like 2

Having cruised Alaska 4 times with Princess and just returned from a Mexico cruise on the Royal I could not recommend this ship for Alaska. Limited outside access on the lower decks. No walk around promenade deck. Doors to outside lower decks kind of hidden and can’t just go from one side of ship to the other side like the Sun or the Dawn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rollexx1910 said:

Having cruised Alaska 4 times with Princess and just returned from a Mexico cruise on the Royal I could not recommend this ship for Alaska. Limited outside access on the lower decks. No walk around promenade deck. Doors to outside lower decks kind of hidden and can’t just go from one side of ship to the other side like the Sun or the Dawn. 

Having cruised Princess almost  two dozen times and also just returned from Mexico on the Royal, I can recommend the Royal for Alaska. There are plenty of spots on top deck to view. Also, the majority of passengers will have a balcony since there aren’t any outside cabins without balcony, therefore fewer people competing for spaces up on top deck or the very limited deck 7.  I believe 80% have balconies on the Royal.  

And if the weather is cold and rainy, I’m sure there will be plenty of open viewing spaces outside, due to everyone taking up space in Horizon Court. 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Having cruised Princess almost  two dozen times and also just returned from Mexico on the Royal, I can recommend the Royal for Alaska. There are plenty of spots on top deck to view. Also, the majority of passengers will have a balcony since there aren’t any outside cabins without balcony, therefore fewer people competing for spaces up on top deck or the very limited deck 7.  I believe 80% have balconies on the Royal.  

The best viewing in Alaska is not done from a balcony. If you do that, you will have a very limited view of what is around you.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

The best viewing in Alaska is not done from a balcony. If you do that, you will have a very limited view of what is around you.

We’ve gone 4 times to Alaska and have never had a balcony, but majority want balconies.  Everyone we know, like to sit on their balconies during Glacier day. 

We prefer the outdoors.  

Besides, Coral, we both know the best viewing is done from Horizon Court! 😂

9 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Does not handle well at slow speeds?

Thats a new one.   🤔

Nobody one knows as she has never been in Alaska.

We have sailed on her many times the longest being a tad less than 1 month.

Never had any handling issues and have never read about any.

Personally I don't see her having any navigational/handling issues in Alaska.

The Maritime Pilots have been training on this and they will be on the ship coming into ports.

7 minutes ago, Loreni said:

If you don’t care about missing Ketchikan, Royal is the ship for you!

We’ve missed Ketchikan when sailing on the smaller ships, too.  

If I miss Ketchi I will be peeved, as I always buy those chocolate covered Oreos from Ketchikandies.  Yummo!

17 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

We’ve gone 4 times to Alaska and have never had a balcony, but majority want balconies.  Everyone we know, like to sit on their balconies during Glacier day. 

We prefer the outdoors.  

Besides, Coral, we both know the best viewing is done from Horizon Court! 😂

I am one of those that is always on deck for glacier days (all day). Deck 7 and then the top decks. Always moving around. I have had everything from insides to suites but am never on the balconies for glacier days. It is nice to get some fresh air and to look outside first thing in the morning but I won't be there on glacier days.

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

The best viewing in Alaska is not done from a balcony. 

Yes and no. The views from a port side balcony on Dolphin or Caribe deck on a Grand Class ship are actually quite fabulous. Especially Dolphin. Lots of complaints about those uncovered balconies generally, but in AK they are as good as being up top. Nothing to block your view. Photos below taken from balcony. That said, there are no balconies on Royal that compare and I would not want to spend my morning in Glacier Bay there. 

IMG_1095a

IMG_1005a

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Yes and no. The views from a port side balcony on Dolphin or Caribe deck on a Grand Class ship are actually quite fabulous. Especially Dolphin. Lots of complaints about those uncovered balconies generally, but in AK they are as good as being up top. Nothing to block your view. Photos below taken from balcony. That said, there are no balconies on Royal that compare and I would not want to spend my morning in Glacier Bay there. 

If you stay on your balcony - you are missing the forward, aft and either starboard or port views (depending on what side you are on). You are only getting approx 1/4 the views. And I have never had a Captain who spends equal time on port and starboard. One side always gets a lot more viewing than the other.

Deck 7 is awesome - it is covered and on most ships you can go all around and easy to go from side to side (via inside the ship if you don't want to walk forward or aft or don't have time to walk - whale/bear sightings must get to other side).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

IMG_1095a

IMG_1005a

beautiful photos I'll share one of mine....

• Like 1