The Royal in Alaska

denims

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

Having cruised Princess almost  two dozen times and also just returned from Mexico on the Royal, I can recommend the Royal for Alaska. There are plenty of spots on top deck to view. Also, the majority of passengers will have a balcony since there aren’t any outside cabins without balcony, therefore fewer people competing for spaces up on top deck or the very limited deck 7.  I believe 80% have balconies on the Royal.  

And if the weather is cold and rainy, I’m sure there will be plenty of open viewing spaces outside, due to everyone taking up space in Horizon Court. 😀

Precisely. I have been on the Royal and will be on her again in Alaska in August. These comments about the lack of outside viewing areas on the Royal baffle me. Sure there is no promenade but there are heaps of outside areas both open and under cover. We have been on her in to Kotor which is probably one of the best ports scenery wise you'll get and most passengers would have been on deck or watching from their balconies. I never had a problem getting space on the outside decks when we entered and left this port. I'd assume Alaska would be similar.

• Like 3

Alaska is the best!

First photo, Glacier Bay day. 65 degrees in July. 

Second photo taken through a window in our obstructed oceanview room E 211 on Golden Princess 

3rd photo, Princess excursion. Saw a million whales that year. 

C6A14E78-1605-4D3F-B685-87DF09A19D11.jpeg

5274A066-093F-421D-A23B-B098EB0DED87.jpeg

B625D8E4-AFBC-453B-A61F-12C6B0EDE44C.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

If you stay on your balcony - you are missing the forward, aft and either starboard or port views (depending on what side you are on). You are only getting approx 1/4 the views. And I have never had a Captain who spends equal time on port and starboard. One side always gets a lot more viewing than the other.

First, the whole "fore, aft, port, starboard" thing is kind of a myth. With all the people up top, it's not like you can be in all places at all times. Many people up top grab a spot at the port side rail and stay there. And when the ship spins, they find a new spot. If you are constantly trying to move from place to place, you never have a great spot because the rails are filled shoulder to shoulder. 

Second, if you are on your Dolphin or Caribe balcony on the port side, when the ship spins, you can just leave your cabin and head to the Promenade Deck. 

Third, with an uncovered balcony, you don't miss the forward view. The photo I posted above shows the forward view. Our balcony was facing Margerie Glacier when that photo was taken and what you see in the photo was the forward view. As you can see below, when you turn to the right, you have a full forward view. 

IMG_1115a

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

First, the whole "fore, aft, port, starboard" thing is kind of a myth. With all the people up top, it's not like you can be in all places at all times. Many people up top grab a spot at the port side rail and stay there. And when the ship spins, they find a new spot. If you are constantly trying to move from place to place, you never have a great spot because the rails are filled shoulder to shoulder. 

I disagree.

As stated - I am often on Deck 7. I find the lower decks have better views and I prefer my pics from there. There are never crowds on Deck 7 and I am never fighting a place for viewing. I can easily move around and am never shoulder to shoulder.

I would agree the top decks can be crazy - I am not often there - much better places on ship for viewing. After going a dozen or so times, I have figured out the best spots.

I don't like people in my pictures so I would have not been pleased with that picture. I would have been outside and gotten pictures with out people, not restricted to my cabin.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I disagree.

I don't think we are really disagreeing at all. I think that decks 7 and 9 are great places to be and the "you have to be up top" argument is overstated. Sounds like you are there too.  Like you, I prefer photos without people and there isn't a single person in any of my photos except for the one I showed above which I took intentionally because I thought it was a unique perspective. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

We’ve missed Ketchikan when sailing on the smaller ships, too.  

If I miss Ketchi I will be peeved, as I always buy those chocolate covered Oreos from Ketchikandies.  Yummo!

4cats4me,  what was the reason for missing Ketchikan?  Fingers crossed, I will be on the Royal in May.

16 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

This was years ago on a different line.  😉

Yes, I know, I just want to know what factors , other than hurricane, might cause a ship to miss a port at all.  

Edited by sskate

2 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Alaska is the best!

First photo, Glacier Bay day. 65 degrees in July. 

Second photo taken through a window in our obstructed oceanview room E 211 on Golden Princess 

3rd photo, Princess excursion. Saw a million whales that year. 

C6A14E78-1605-4D3F-B685-87DF09A19D11.jpeg

5274A066-093F-421D-A23B-B098EB0DED87.jpeg

B625D8E4-AFBC-453B-A61F-12C6B0EDE44C.jpeg

Great shots "cat lady"😉are u using a zoom on the whales?

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Second, if you are on your Dolphin or Caribe balcony on the port side, when the ship spins, you can just leave your cabin and head to the Promenade Deck. 

Third, with an uncovered balcony, you don't miss the forward view. The photo I posted above shows the forward view. Our balcony was facing Margerie Glacier when that photo was taken and what you see in the photo was the forward view. As you can see below, when you turn to the right, you have a full forward view. 

IMG_1115a

I love this shot  too...now with so many photos on the internet ...I have come to prefer photographs with people as it shows perspective and in this case how mammoth the glacier is.

Does it really  matter what deck or ship?  What really can make or break an Alaskan cruise is the weather. Spoken by someone who did not return for 20 years, because during our first experience it rain excessively. My return last year with much better weather(some rain and clouds but not much) made me understand why people return again and again.

Edited by land lover
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, land lover said:

Great shots "cat lady"😉are u using a zoom on the whales?

I love this shot  too...now with so many photos on the internet ...I have come to prefer photographs with people as it shows perspective and in this case how mammoth the glacier is.

Does it really  matter what deck or ship?  What really can make or break an Alaskan cruise is the weather. Spoken by someone who did not return for 20 years, because during our first experience it rain excessively. My return last year with much better weather(some rain and clouds but not much) made me understand why people return again and again.

No zoom. Took pic with an iPhone 3 back in 2011.  A point and shoot pic. Got very lucky. 

51 minutes ago, sskate said:

Yes, I know, I just want to know what factors , other than hurricane, might cause a ship to miss a port at all.  

That was it, that darn category 5, or maybe it was the 9.5 earthquake.  

8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don't think we are really disagreeing at all. I think that decks 7 and 9 are great places to be and the "you have to be up top" argument is overstated. Sounds like you are there too.  Like you, I prefer photos without people and there isn't a single person in any of my photos except for the one I showed above which I took intentionally because I thought it was a unique perspective. 

I often will show perspective with other things (railing, etc..)

1 hour ago, CaribbeanIsland said:

I am in the group that will not sail the Royal Princess to Alaska and also do not stay in my cabin on glacier days. You miss so much when you do.

Especially when it's an inside cabin. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

From the SEAPA report - Ketchikan is a no-go if wind are above 15 knots.  This is with minimal current in the Narrows. Juneau is a no-go if winds are greater than 20 knots with current or 25 knots at slack.  Skagway is a no-go if winds are greater than 25 knots.

This is the SEAPA report.

https://krbd-org.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/SEAPA_VLCS-v2.pdf?_ga=2.61333353.495801582.1555855097-69405248.1555855097

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 1

https://www.ktoo.org/2019/04/19/southeast-alaska-pilots-raise-concerns-over-royal-princess-megaship/

After reading this thread and all the posts, I had to locate the article and read the entire report.  

I appreciated the OP for bringing this to our attention.  My first thought was "hogwash"! Another alarming CC thread full of gossip and un-verified claims. 

The point of the article is the larger ships with Azipods have better thrust in slower speeds.  

We are booked for 2-weeks in August.  I will be watching closely.  

5 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

https://www.ktoo.org/2019/04/19/southeast-alaska-pilots-raise-concerns-over-royal-princess-megaship/

After reading this thread and all the posts, I had to locate the article and read the entire report.  

I appreciated the OP for bringing this to our attention.  My first thought was "hogwash"! Another alarming CC thread full of gossip and un-verified claims. 

The point of the article is the larger ships with Azipods have better thrust in slower speeds.  

We are booked for 2-weeks in August.  I will be watching closely.  

thx for posting the link..very interesting....When cruising on Anthem in 2017 the ship had a problem with a propulsion motor and we sailed at a reduced speed. Our itinerary was revised.

So how much different is the wind speed measured on land versus on the water where the ships are sailing? For example, this is regarding wind speed at Skagway airport:

image.thumb.png.23437ee99d604273f3783f4466a672fe.png

This is a screenshot regarding Ketchikan:

image.thumb.png.c512d5640c90504630e30daf49a5e26f.png

I'm the first to admit I know nothing about this, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks.

Edited by PandaBear62

In the Narrows, in addition to narrow width and wind, there are tides to contend with.  Tides are somewhat extreme compared to what we experience in the lower 48.  For example, here are the tides at Ketchikan for June 10, the day the Royal will be there:

High Tide   6:59 am     13.1 ft   [Royal arrives at 6:30 am]

Low Tide    1:24 pm      0.5 ft    [Royal departs at 3:15 pm]

So a challenge to the captain and the pilot.

As a ship rises and fall with the tide while docked, the gangway moves accordingly.  I don't think we've ever cruised anywhere else where tides are so extreme.  For example, in Florida and the Caribbean, the tides are hardly noticeable, as I recall.  The most extreme tides in the world are in the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia.

Edited by BarbinMich

On 4/20/2019 at 7:50 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

Does not handle well at slow speeds?

Thats a new one.   🤔

Nobody one knows as she has never been in Alaska.

We have sailed on her many times the longest being a tad less than 1 month.

Never had any handling issues and have never read about any.

Personally I don't see her having any navigational/handling issues in Alaska.

amen