Who Designed the Main pool & Jacuzzis on Koningsdam

mcrcruiser

We recently sailed this ship .The pool where the steps are in about waist deep with water ;but ,as you move to what you might think is the deeper end it in fact lowers to about 2 feet ,'

There is one very large jacuzzi ;however the 2 smaller jacuzzis  have room enough for just 2 men  in each jacuzzi 

When comparing both the main pool & jacuzzi space against other HAL ships & other cruise lines ,Koningsdam imo comes in dead last  in these regards

Edited by mcrcruiser

28 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We recently sailed this ship .The pool where the steps are in about waist deep with water ;but ,as you move to what you might think is the deeper end it in fact lowers to about 2 feet ,'

There is one very large jacuzzi ;however the 2 smaller jacuzzis  have room enough for just 2 men  in each jacuzzi 

When comparing both the main pool & jacuzzi space against other HAL ships & other cruise lines ,Koningsdam imo comes in dead last  in these regards

Just remember with pool depth you aren't going to find olympic or divingboard depths that are 10' are deeper...that is a lot of water weight to take on and there is a deck underneath.

2 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Just remember with pool depth you aren't going to find olympic or divingboard depths that are 10' are deeper...that is a lot of water weight to take on and there is a deck underneath.

Common give us a break  , Now wondering how much real life experience you have has on cruise ship sailings .We have done 83 cruises & I never post something that is way out  . BTW ,there is no ship we ever sailed that you go from the entry level & then the floor goes uphill to lower water levels ,LOL .We are not talking 10 foot depths which you exaggerated  ,we are talking normal ship pool depths 

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

main mid ship pool & jacuzzis

We never tried those ones as I find it a bit claustrophobic.  Our first time though on the Kongingsdam at the aft pool we were very surprised that as you go down the steps into the pool it’s at the deep end.  Any other of the HAL ships we have been on you go into the shallow part.  So for those that aren’t confident in the water they were quite shocked.  

2 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We never tried those ones as I find it a bit claustrophobic.  Our first time though on the Kongingsdam at the aft pool we were very surprised that as you go down the steps into the pool it’s at the deep end.  Any other of the HAL ships we have been on you go into the shallow part.  So for those that aren’t confident in the water they were quite shocked.  

Thanks for that information .I was only in the main pool & jacuzzi once during our 10 night cruise . I did not use the aft pool .  Seems to us  Koningsdam is very different in many ways  . she is coming out to sail from San diego ,our home port  & we do have a booking Dec 5 ,2020 ,7 night Mexican Riviera cruise . Our favorite ship is Eurodam in the fleet & we did this same 7 night cruise Dec 2018 .Excellent ship layout ,great wait staff & food in the MDR

• Like 1

I did put a comment card in asking who the heck designed the aft pool that goes right into the deep end?  I explained how it was different than the other HAL ships we had been on and was catching people by surprise.  I actually had to grab a couple people that went under.  

21 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I did put a comment card in asking who the heck designed the aft pool that goes right into the deep end?  I explained how it was different than the other HAL ships we had been on and was catching people by surprise.  I actually had to grab a couple people that went under.  

Yes that is scary for those non suspecting

On 4/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, canadianbear said:

This almost sounds as if it was installed backwards! I've never been in a pool with stairs that went into the deep end. Is there a large drop from the last step to the bottom? Is it like that on the NS, too? 

10 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

This almost sounds as if it was installed backwards! I've never been in a pool with stairs that went into the deep end. Is there a large drop from the last step to the bottom? Is it like that on the NS, too? 

Knowing Fincantieri, I would not be surprised...😏

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

We haven’t been on the NS but probably the same.  If you’re short or non swimmer be very careful.  I’m not sure about the last step as I usually just go right under water from the first few steps.  However, like I said, I grabbed a couple people that were caught off guard and helped them.  I hope others put in comment cards too as it’s dangerous to unsuspecting travellers!  We tried to warn people as best we could.  

So the ladder to get out is at the shallow end and steps to get in at the deeper end.  Totally backwards from any other ship we’ve been on.  

It was a disconcerting to step off the last step into the deeper end!  I did notice the depth indication signs so just swam away from the last step but it was too deep for me to stand up so I don't know what the drop-off was in feet.  The shallow end was so shallow it was difficult to even gently swim back and forth into that end so I only swam partway and back into the deep end again.  I"m not a lap swimmer but I do like to do some gentle swimming for 15 - 20 minutes and this pool design made it awkward.  We enjoyed the hot tubs but had no place to leave towels or robes that didn't get soaked, except for leaving them on a lounge chair, reserving it, which we preferred not to do.   It's all just different, not a deal breaker. 

Good question if NS's pool is set up the same way.  Maybe someone can tell us.  

• Like 1