Behind the scenes tour feedback

phoneman69

15 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

It can only be booked once onboard, at GS or Shore Excursions desk.  Book it ASAP - it fills up fast.

ETA: I used my FTTF access to the VIP GS line on embarkation day to skip the long waits in the regular GS line and Shore Excursion Desk lines in order to make sure I got our tickets.  That sped up the process a lot.:classic_wink:

Definitely make the Shore Excursion desk your first stop once you get on board. If by some chance it is sold out, don't lose hope. They will wait list you and if enough people want to sign up they will run a second tour. They don't advertise this (and may not do it on all ships) but found this out last time. My tour left at 9:00 am, and there were people showing up for a 9:30 tour right as we were about to start ours. The tour guide then told us that they sometimes do a second one when someone in our group mentioned not being given an option to choose a time. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 3:31 PM, phoneman69 said:

Have not done a behind the scene tour on any cruise i have taken. Looking for feed back on the tours. I am sailing the Magic in Sept and really thinking for doing the tour this trip. Were you happy with the value and did you find it interesting / worthwhile ?

totally worth it. I loved it when we did it. book it as soon as you can once you get on the ship it fills up quick 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:30 AM, Anyislandwilldo said:

It sure would be nice to have that laundry folding machine at home!!  Our captain on the Dream was very gracious and Italian.

From what I recall (probably from something John Heald posted) all Carnival captains are Italian.  Most of the bridge officers are too - when Carnival started up and got successful the first captain and officers were Italian, and the owner felt that they should always be Italian to keep that first success going.

Apparently some officers now are Croatian.

Oh, and regarding the OP: we loved the Behind the Fun tour we did on Sunshine!  Well worth it!  But I'm a tech geek, and my wife is starting to pick up on it too, so there's that...

1 hour ago, Allura_317 said:

We are planning on doing the tour on our Breeze cruise this summer.  I know they will open up a second tour if there is enough interest, but does anyone know how long it takes for the first to sell out?  

I booked the tour for DH and me on Horizon last summer. We're Platinum, were on the ship very early, and Shore Excursions was my first stop - and I think we were numbers 9 and 10 on the first 16-person tour. It sold out quickly. I'm fairly sure they started selling the second tour the afternoon of embarkation. This isn't a tour I'd do on every cruise, but it's excellent.

• 2 months later...
  • I took the tour on the Breeze in May it was wonderful.You can only book when you get on the ship they need to make sure you can walk and go up the steps took about 3.30 hours with lots of stops to see alot of different areas.
  • Security checks you out and wands you before the tour, no cameras or cell phones. The bridge was great lots of questions asked and answered. The laundry OMG ,staff quarters are very nice.
  • Definitely well worth the money
  • Booked it as we stepped on to ship
  •  

I have done many cruises, but never done a tour like this. A few questions. Is this the same cruise where they show you how all the food is prepared?  I think that one is called the Chef's Table, or is this another tour?   Does it depend upon what "ship" (small, medium, or large) it is the cost?  Also for you, what was the cost? Does the cruise have to be 7 days or longer? I normally cruise 7 days, but the one we are planning for next year is only 5 days.

24 minutes ago, beshears said:

Does the cruise have to be 7 days or longer? I normally cruise 7 days, but the one we are planning for next year is only 5 days.

I did this tour on my first cruise aboard Paradise which was only 5 days. I don’t remember the cost but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The view from the bridge was amazing.  

2 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I want to do this tour on my Inspiration cruise, so thanks for all the feedback.  I heard it's cheaper on Fantasy class ships.  

Can anyone who did this tour on a Fantasy class ship tell me how much it cost and how far in advance you gotta book it?

has to be booked once on board, never seen it sold out, not positive on the price but I think $75 on the older ships and $95 on newer ships

• Thanks 1

As I said, my son and d-i-l did the Chef's tour, and really liked it, and it was $75.00.  For this tour, how long does it take to do this tour?  Is there any eating involved, or just checking the inside of the ship out in the various areas of the ship?

I did this a few years back on one of my Carnival sailings. 

It was fun seeing the back of the house, from I-95 to the bridge.  Got to sit in the captain chair and also a group and single picture with the captain.

While it was worth the cost and I enjoyed it, personally once was enough for me.

We did it last year on the Sunshine. Our kids were finally old enough (tweens) that I felt I could leave them in the room while my husband and I went. I thought it was going to be a two hour tour and when we were starting they said it was going to be 4 hours (on the Sunshine).

I lasted about halfway before asking to leave early. I have never been seasick in my life but being multiple decks below water had me super claustrophobic and a little queasy. It was the worse in the engine room and I left shortly after as the galley bit was starting. I was disappointed but really felt lightheaded like I might faint.

I think I would have liked it better and been better if it moved a little faster between sections, many in my group asked A LOT of detailed questions so it was super slow. And in all honesty, not having my phone with me and being nervous about leaving my kiddos without being able to reach me made it worse. That being said, there were some unaccompanied young teens on the tour that were really well behaved and I think I would let my kids go when they are a couple years older, they would really enjoy it I think.