Poll: How Did the 4 MDR Model Work For You On The Edge?

vtcruising

Poll: How Did the 4 MDR Model Work For You On The Edge?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. For those who have actually sailed on the Edge and had the 4 MDRs for their assigned dining venues, how did this model work for you? Note: voter screen names are public for this poll

• I had Select Dining (chose times and restaurants) and enjoyed the 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I had Select Dining and did not care for 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I had Traditional Dining (assigned dining time and restaurant) and enjoyed the 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I had Traditional Dining and did not care for the 4 MDR model compared to the one MDR model.
    • I have no preference for the 4 MDR model or the one MDR model.
  2. 2. If you have dined in more than one of the 4 Edge MDRs, which one did you enjoy the most (taking food, decor, ambiance, seating into consideration)?

3. 3. If you had Select Dining on the Edge, how would you describe your ease of obtaining desired reservations?

• I was able to book the restaurants and/or times that I wanted.
    • I had some difficulty booking the restaurants and/or times that I wanted.
    • It was very difficult to get the times and/or restaurants that I wanted.

8 minutes ago, Oville said:

Marilyn, thanks so much.  If I recall the regional menu in Normandie was quite nice. We were assigned to Cyprus on the 2 day cruise and I enjoyed its regional selections.

Next E Class cruise for us we will be dining in the 4 restaurants.

I have always been most excited about Normandie because of the decor, including the panels from the Summit (as you know, originally from the SS Normandie). We did taste a couple of delicious things from the Taste of the Edge that they had on the preview and Press and Trade cruises. Both were tasty (the pâté and tenderloin en croute, I think). We had the chicken souvlaki and Greek salad in Cyprus - yum!

image.thumb.png.887a7aaf5e6542a58b1e75275e8370cc.png

4 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I have always been most excited about Normandie because of the decor, including the panels from the Summit (as you know, originally from the SS Normandie). We did taste a couple of delicious things from the Taste of the Edge that they had on the preview and Press and Trade cruises. Both were tasty (the pâté and tenderloin en croute, I think). We had the chicken souvlaki and Greek salad in Cyprus - yum!

image.thumb.png.887a7aaf5e6542a58b1e75275e8370cc.png

All three Starters in Normandie sound wonderful as well as the Tenderloin and Salmon.  I could probably pick one of these Starters with a salad and be in heaven.  I do remember the pate in the Taste of the Edge and it was great.  Also as an actual dinner, the Greek salad and lamb shank in Cyprus were really good.

Marilyn, you are such a wealth of knowledge on the Edge it’s amazing.  I don’t know what we’d do without you.

Thanks, Katie

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Here is one of the Normandie Panels vtcruising is referring to. Outstanding!

81AD5410-DA17-491A-8BD7-5E9ED2B8B41E.jpeg

Great shot! Thanks! I was not happy when they took out those restaurants on the M Class ships and got a little choked up when I saw these panels last November. Maybe I'll ask for a table near the panels when I dine there. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

We stopped in The Normandie on the All Access Tour..The panels were amazing!

Especially amazing since they were originally salvaged from the Normandie, which burned in New York Harbor. I wonder if Apex will have some of the panels too?

On 4/20/2019 at 9:26 PM, vtcruising said:

I am booked in an SV on the Edge for next year and wanted to get some feedback about how the 4 MDR model is working. If you have sailed on the Edge and have experience with the 4 MDRs, I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Note: Voter screen names are public for this poll

i love the 4 mdrs, each with it's own signature dish.

if i didnt like the daily rotating menu, i can always fall back to my favorite signature , which is sea bass. (forgot which mdr that's a staple of.)

less than a 5min wait with select anytime, no matter the restaurant or time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Oh, duh! Good idea! I did run out of questions - they only let me do three. I guess I'll need to do another poll with my other questions. 🙂

Wow - Didn't realize you are limited to 3 questions!

• 3 weeks later...

Did not eat in any of the MDRs. I am confused by the big hoopla. I was told all the food is made in one kitchen for all four. So why can't you order anything you might want from any of the four.. You should be able to order anything you want. Instead making us go to different MDRs for different choices. My wife and I might like one main entree from one and another main entree from another. Anyone think the same way?

• 3 weeks later...

On our 15 night transatlantic cruise, we dined in:

Cyprus- 3 nights

Cosmopolitan - 2 nights

Normandie - 2 nights

Tuscan - 3 nights

Based on food, decor, ambiance, and seating, we had a difficult time choosing a favorite between Cyprus and Cosmopolitan. Had we been able to choose a tie, those two would have been tied. That said, they were all very good, and when we return to Edge next May, we intend to try all four again.

• 2 months later...

We’re going on The Edge in December and at booking there was no option for flexible dining so we’re booked on the early seating.

I notice that the last post on this subject was in May.

Has anyone been on the Edge recently because I wondered if they were still being flexible on trying all four main dining rooms.

We have never done fixed dining before. Do we have to be on a large table or can we request a table for 2?  

20 hours ago, The Med said:

We’re going on The Edge in December and at booking there was no option for flexible dining so we’re booked on the early seating.

I notice that the last post on this subject was in May.

Has anyone been on the Edge recently because I wondered if they were still being flexible on trying all four main dining rooms.

We have never done fixed dining before. Do we have to be on a large table or can we request a table for 2?  

We are sailing on Edge this December as well (December 1st Eastern Caribbean), and from what I've gathered from various sources, you are assigned a specific MDR from day 1, which you are supposed to dine in throughout the cruise - this is if you are on Fixed Dining. Based on availability, you can request to change to another MDR, either for the rest of the cruise, or for one or some nights.

I expect that we will want to try a few different MDRs, especially since there are three At Sea days out of seven days, where there isn't much to see "off ship" (logically...), but I also suppose At Sea days would be the hardest ones to have a MDR change request fulfilled, for this exact reason; people would like some variety.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:33 PM, twodaywonder said:

Did not eat in any of the MDRs. I am confused by the big hoopla. I was told all the food is made in one kitchen for all four. So why can't you order anything you might want from any of the four.. You should be able to order anything you want. Instead making us go to different MDRs for different choices. My wife and I might like one main entree from one and another main entree from another. Anyone think the same way?

We like the 4 mdr concept..very creative to have some menu differences, diff decor and ambiance. On our ladt EDGE crise we were assigned to BLU but  we had Elite breakfast in Tuscan and  lunch in Cosmopolitan and saw at least one other on our All Access Tour.  Can't wait to try all 4 for dinner on our Nov  EDGE cruise.

If they all served the same food, there'd be no variety or specialness about each.  

I believe they do have sep galleys and also share workload for gen items, Vt or

someone recently posted info about this. 

Brief overview of 4 MDR concept:

4 distinct MDRs in design, each with their own Exclusives (7 Exclusive menu items in each MDR that stay the same nightly)

All MDRs have the same rotating Signature menu that is on all X ships, with the Classics that stay the same (chicken, steak, salmon, shrimp cocktail, escargot, etc.)

Each MDR has its own galley to prepare their own Exclusives and also each one prepares some of the shared items.

Celebrity wanted to give people the option of having traditional dining so kept the early and late dining as an option (knowing many people enjoy having the same table, waiter, tablemates each night). That restaurant will be assigned and the name will be in your cabin when you board. You can ask to change restaurants - they may be able to change you, based on availability.

They also have the popular Select Dining for those who want to be flexible with times and restaurants.

When they rolled this out, I thought it would be a huge mess (with not only combining Select with 2 traditional seatings, but throwing 4 different restaurants into the mix), with very unhappy people having to wait for tables or not getting to try all of the restaurants. I assumed that some of the restaurants would be more popular than others and that there would be lines at some and empty spots at others. So far, the reports have been pretty positive and people seem to be able to try the different restaurants and the waits haven't been horrendous (at least reports here haven't led me to believe so).

I have to give Celebrity accolades for somehow making this work quite well - I imagine they have been tweaking the number of Select diners to keep things sane. A few have come on here recently saying that they didn't want Traditional Dining, but Select wasn't offered.

So far, it sounds like the Traditional people have had pretty good luck trying other venues (we haven't heard a lot about it on Cruise Critic, which may mean there isn't an issue, but those who have specifically mentioned it, have usually been able to, it seems). Hopefully, that is still the case onboard.

If you weren't able to get Select, either call Celebrity or Captain's Club (or have your travel agent call, if working with one) and get on the waitlist. If you haven't heard from them about a change before the cruise, head to Cosmopolitan/Cyprus area on Deck 4 and look for the Maitre 'd to see about changing. If you can't change, ask about trying other restaurants and they will advise you. Hopefully, it will all work out!

Here are the Edge Dining FAQs - it may answer some questions:

EDGE_Culinary_Reveal_FAQS_2_22.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

vtcruising, thanks for the link to the FAQ , I found it very informative.

We just booked the cruise this week and we’re told that there was no more availability for Select Dining.

I’m going to ask to be put on the waiting list and see what happens.

23 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Here are the Edge Dining FAQs - it may answer some questions:

EDGE_Culinary_Reveal_FAQS_2_22.pdf 232.4 kB · 4 downloads

Hi, this isn't really about the 4 restaurants - think  we have the one sorted and have now made all of our bookings for each evening :-)

Just curious now about the timings on this document from vtcruising. Just noticed that the Oceanview Café is only open until 2.30pm in the afternoon. We tend to eat there when we get back from excursions and that usually is about 3pm for most. Last year on Connie, for a couple of days, there was no food available other than pizza but after that they had light snacks. (Not sure if people had complained)

Just wondering how it is working on EDGE at the moment?  We tend to call in to the buffet when returning to the ship (last year and on P&O) and don't want a large meal, just light salad type foods and snacks.

If this makes sense !!! :-)

Edited by Presto2

3 hours ago, The Med said:

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

vtcruising, thanks for the link to the FAQ , I found it very informative.

We just booked the cruise this week and we’re told that there was no more availability for Select Dining.

I’m going to ask to be put on the waiting list and see what happens.

Good luck! Hope it works out. 🙂

31 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, this isn't really about the 4 restaurants - think  we have the one sorted and have now made all of our bookings for each evening 🙂

Just curious now about the timings on this document from vtcruising. Just noticed that the Oceanview Café is only open until 2.30pm in the afternoon. We tend to eat there when we get back from excursions and that usually is about 3pm for most. Last year on Connie, for a couple of days, there was no food available other than pizza but after that they had light snacks. (Not sure if people had complained)

Just wondering how it is working on EDGE at the moment?  We tend to call in to the buffet when returning to the ship (last year and on P&O) and don't want a large meal, just light salad type foods and snacks.

If this makes sense !!! 🙂

I included this document because it answers a lot of questions about Traditional and Select Dining and how it works in each with the 4 MDRs (same table/waiter in Traditional, not necessarily same table/waiter for Select, if Traditional can try different MDRs, if you can order an Exclusive from a different MDR, how to book or walk in for Select, how you will get your MDR assignment and if you can change, if Traditional, etc.).

According to a recent daily, the Oceanview full lunch service is done at 2:30, but there is pizza, pasta and salad open until late at night, ice cream, frozen yogurt open into the evening and other snacks 4-5 (afternoon tea). The Mast Grill is open from about 11-4 and Le Grand Bistro To Go was open with sandwiches, etc. (for a fee). You can also order from Room Service. Hopefully, there will be something to eat when you return. 🙂 

Edited by vtcruising

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I included this document because it answers a lot of questions about Traditional and Select Dining and how it works in each with the 4 MDRs (same table/waiter in Traditional, not necessarily same table/waiter for Select, if Traditional can try different MDRs, if you can order an Exclusive from a different MDR, how to book or walk in for Select, how you will get your MDR assignment and if you can change, if Traditional, etc.).

According to a recent daily, the Oceanview full lunch service is done at 2:30, but there is pizza, pasta and salad open until late at night, ice cream, frozen yogurt open into the evening and other snacks 4-5 (afternoon tea). The Mast Grill is open from about 11-4 and Le Grand Bistro To Go was open with sandwiches, etc. (for a fee). You can also order from Room Service. Hopefully, there will be something to eat when you return. 🙂 

Thanks, am guessing that when you say 'done' you mean 'finished' - in the UK it can mean 'happens then' i.e. done then'.

Can you remember when the Eden Café is open? Despite the fact that we moved cabins to avoid it (:classic_rolleyes::classic_wacko:) the outdoor sitting area looks really nice.

PS: Just had a look at our APP for the cruise and the only thing working would you believe is the part telling us what is open for food. Looks like Oceanview is open for snacks from day 2 onwards at 3.30 - 4.30pm

Really looking forward to trying out all of the 4 main dining areas - not long to go. Seems like we have been planning this holiday for ever now !!!!!

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks, am guessing that when you say 'done' you mean 'finished' - in the UK it can mean 'happens then' i.e. done then'.

Can you remember when the Eden Café is open? Despite the fact that we moved cabins to avoid it (:classic_rolleyes::classic_wacko:) the outdoor sitting area looks really nice.

PS: Just had a look at our APP for the cruise and the only thing working would you believe is the part telling us what is open for food. Looks like Oceanview is open for snacks from day 2 onwards at 3.30 - 4.30pm

Really looking forward to trying out all of the 4 main dining areas - not long to go. Seems like we have been planning this holiday for ever now !!!!!

Yes, finished. Our New Zealand relatives are here right now and I have to be careful what I say! 🙂

Eden Cafe lunch has been open 12-1:30 on Port days recently and 11:30-1 on sea days per recent dailies (all subject to change though).

• Thanks 1