Trip Report (abridged): Pre-Cruise New Zealand

lovestx

Having spent hours (okay, more like months!) researching what to do in NZ before our 14 day cruise in March/April 2019, I thought I'd pay it forward by sharing our abridged trip report. We thought NZ was beautiful and the people just lovely.

travelers include hubby and two friends we met cruising the Galapagos in 2014. We booked on the Celebrity Solstice that embarked in Auckland and visited Tauranga, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin, the Sounds, Hobart, Melbourne and disembarked in Sydney. 

Pre-Cruise:

Days 1, 2: Queenstown

Hotel:  Hilton Queenstown

Activities:  Dart River Boats, TSS Earnslaw Dinner and Sheep Demonstration, town visit

Days 2,3, 4:  Wanaka

Hotel: Wanaka Haven

Activities:  Bungee jump viewing, Arrowtown Museum and Lunch, Drive to Haast via Blue Pools, Day trip to Mt Cook

Days 5,6:  Christchurch

Hotel:  Rydges Latimer Square

Activities:  Mosque Memorial, Earthquake Museum, Canterbury Museum

Days 7,8:  Auckland

Activities:  Waiheke Island Wine Tour, Auckland War Memorial, lots of walking including to Ponsonby

our plans for much of this trip changed when record-breaking rains (which eventually caused a road bridge to wash away and landslides to close roads) were predicted. So we cancelled our Franz Josef hotel (Rainforest Retreat) and visited Christchurch instead.

happy to answer any questions if it's helpful

• 4 months later...
On 4/21/2019 at 3:31 AM, lovestx said:

Having spent hours (okay, more like months!) researching what to do in NZ before our 14 day cruise in March/April 2019, I thought I'd pay it forward by sharing our abridged trip report. We thought NZ was beautiful and the people just lovely.

travelers include hubby and two friends we met cruising the Galapagos in 2014. We booked on the Celebrity Solstice that embarked in Auckland and visited Tauranga, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin, the Sounds, Hobart, Melbourne and disembarked in Sydney. 

Pre-Cruise:

Days 1, 2: Queenstown

Hotel:  Hilton Queenstown

Activities:  Dart River Boats, TSS Earnslaw Dinner and Sheep Demonstration, town visit

Days 2,3, 4:  Wanaka

Hotel: Wanaka Haven

Activities:  Bungee jump viewing, Arrowtown Museum and Lunch, Drive to Haast via Blue Pools, Day trip to Mt Cook

Days 5,6:  Christchurch

Hotel:  Rydges Latimer Square

Activities:  Mosque Memorial, Earthquake Museum, Canterbury Museum

Days 7,8:  Auckland

Activities:  Waiheke Island Wine Tour, Auckland War Memorial, lots of walking including to Ponsonby

our plans for much of this trip changed when record-breaking rains (which eventually caused a road bridge to wash away and landslides to close roads) were predicted. So we cancelled our Franz Josef hotel (Rainforest Retreat) and visited Christchurch instead.

happy to answer any questions if it's helpful

would you mind sharing the tours you too on this cruise?  We leave in February on this cruise and are trying to decide which tours to take.

16 minutes ago, msswamp said:

would you mind sharing the tours you too on this cruise?  We leave in February on this cruise and are trying to decide which tours to take.

Here are the cruise excursions we took:

Tauranga - Archer Tours that included the Lost Village (we added as we thought it would be interesting and it was), Te Puia and Rotorua.  Jim Archer was great.  I'm sure I wrote a review on Tripadvisor

Wellington - DIYed to include TePapa Museum, cable car ride and walk down through the Botanical Gardens

Akaroa - DIYed the Giants House (fabulous but go when they open) and did a crazy hike up the mountain

Dunedin - Went with Iconic Tours around Dunedin and then on to Larnach Castle, including lunch stop.  Didn't love our tour guide.

Tasmania - DIYed Bonorong Animal Shelter, walk around Hobart and Cascades Female Factory Tour (read "The Tin Ticket" before the trip and that figured big in it)

Melbourne - did a two hour walking tour with Melbourne by Foot - Cultural Walk.  Very good guide.  He tailored the small group tour (just four of us by design) to our interests

Sydney - DIYed Bondi to Coogee and Manly Beach.  Did the one hour tour of the Opera House...well worth it.  Also did The Rocks Walking Tours which was very good as well.

18 hours ago, lovestx said:

Here are the cruise excursions we took:

Tauranga - Archer Tours that included the Lost Village (we added as we thought it would be interesting and it was), Te Puia and Rotorua.  Jim Archer was great.  I'm sure I wrote a review on Tripadvisor

Wellington - DIYed to include TePapa Museum, cable car ride and walk down through the Botanical Gardens

Akaroa - DIYed the Giants House (fabulous but go when they open) and did a crazy hike up the mountain

Dunedin - Went with Iconic Tours around Dunedin and then on to Larnach Castle, including lunch stop.  Didn't love our tour guide.

Tasmania - DIYed Bonorong Animal Shelter, walk around Hobart and Cascades Female Factory Tour (read "The Tin Ticket" before the trip and that figured big in it)

Melbourne - did a two hour walking tour with Melbourne by Foot - Cultural Walk.  Very good guide.  He tailored the small group tour (just four of us by design) to our interests

Sydney - DIYed Bondi to Coogee and Manly Beach.  Did the one hour tour of the Opera House...well worth it.  Also did The Rocks Walking Tours which was very good as well.

I'm doing it in reverse in 3 months so looking for your input on my tentative plans as you were just there:

11/21 - Melbourne - Doubletree Hotel in CBD
11/22 - Melbourne 
11/23 - Melbourne 
11/24 - board
11/25 - sea day
11/26 - sea day
11/27 - Fiordland National Park (scenic Cruising)

11/28 - Dunedin (Port Chalmers) - Garden and City Tour. Pier pick up & return

11/29 - Akaroa - tender to city center

11/30 - Wellington City Pass includes Cable Car RT & two attractions - Zealandia or Botanical Gardens and Introducing Te Papa Tour. Is a RT on the Cable Car necessary or would it be better to walk to shuttle? Helps me decide whether I should buy city pass.

12/1 -   Napier - Mohaka Rafting

12/2 -  Tauranga - get up early and see the wonderful entry from the sea around Mt Maunganui into the port of Tauranga (from my balcony). 1 hr walk around the Mount from the port to the surf beach front for coffee and or ice cream etc etc

12/3 -   Auckland - walk off, bagbnb, no ideas yet, takes 3 hrs for Sky bus from Auckland CBD to Airport / check in

================================/=

FWIW:: In Port Arthur (Tasmania) last year, I walked to the right once off the tenders for an amazing yet short hike. Just a few miles where I was the only person. Saw a lot of wildlife in their habitat

Edited by Ombud

Ombud, I think your plan looks good.  We did not visit Napier.

Akaroa - I think it's a pretty long ride into Christchurch but might be worth it as the city is really interesting.  Hard to believe that there is still so much devastation 8 years after the big earthquake.  The museum there....Canterbury maybe....was really interesting.  And I would say that the sail in and out of Akaroa is gorgeous and not to be missed.  

Auckland - not sure about your plans there....looks like you will be flying home the day you disembark perhaps?  If so, you might enjoy a walk around the  Ponsonby area, a trip up the SkyTower (my fear of heights kept me from that) or some time at the Auckland Memorial Museum if you have an interest in the World Wars or Maori culture.

Tauranga - looks like you don't want to go see the geothermal area.  Your walk about Manginui could include a hike (somewhat challenging as it's pretty steep) up to the summit.  There are some cute shops in the town too and it's a very easy walk from where the ships dock.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lovestx said:

Auckland - not sure about your plans there....looks like you will be flying home the day you disembark perhaps?  If so, you might enjoy a walk around the  Ponsonby area, a trip up the SkyTower (my fear of heights kept me from that) or some time at the Auckland Memorial Museum if you have an interest in the World Wars or Maori culture.

I'm a little fuzzy on Auckland as my flight is 7:30pm and no idea when I'll get back to NZ. Your ideas are a big help! Usually I take the disembark tour but this one wasn't available when I booked air, drops me off at noon, and would cost over $600USD to change to an earlier flight (current flight $794). It'd be cheaper to hire a driver for the day LOL

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm a little fuzzy on Auckland as my flight is 7:30pm and no idea when I'll get back to NZ. Your ideas are a big help! Usually I take the disembark tour but this one wasn't available when I booked air, drops me off at noon, and would cost over $600USD to change to an earlier flight (current flight $794). It'd be cheaper to hire a driver for the day LOL

Ombud, if you are looking to store your luggage when you disembark in Auckland, I have seen good reviews for the Luggage Hotel at Shed 23/145 Quay St, Auckland (on Princes Wharf which is where I think the Celebrity Solstice is docking).

http://www.theluggagehotel.com

I would suggest a ferry trip over to Devonport, which is a pretty town/suburb across the bay with many historic buildings. The ferry wharf is next to Princes Wharf. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

Ombud, if you are looking to store your luggage when you disembark in Auckland, I have seen good reviews for the Luggage Hotel at Shed 23/145 Quay St, Auckland (on Princes Wharf which is where I think the Celebrity Solstice is docking).

http://www.theluggagehotel.com

I would suggest a ferry trip over to Devonport, which is a pretty town/suburb across the bay with many historic buildings. The ferry wharf is next to Princes Wharf. 

Leigh

I agree. Yes, Solstice does dock at Princes Wharf so the Luggage Hotel is very convenient. 

36 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Actually I'm going to be on Golden Princess and hope I can find it as I just reserved a spot for 4-8 hrs. I think most ships must come into same wharf. Thanks for the link! 

Sorry, a senior moment there! We were on Golden last November and docked at Queens Wharf which is next to Princes Wharf. So when you come off the wharf turn right and it is a few hundred metres walk along Quay Street.

Leigh

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sorry, a senior moment there! We were on Golden last November and docked at Queens Wharf which is next to Princes Wharf. So when you come off the wharf turn right and it is a few hundred metres walk along Quay Street.

Leigh

And it's in the second "shed" on the left, about half way along if my memory is correct. Each shed has a walkway on the inner (car park) side, accessed from each end of the shed and the various businesses are off that walkway.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:21 PM, lovestx said:

Hi lovestx,

We are thinking of hiking to Hinewai Reserve and wondered what you meant by 'crazy hike'. It does look to be a very long hike, is there anything else can you share about it? 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, rwcorne said:

Hi lovestx,

We are thinking of hiking to Hinewai Reserve and wondered what you meant by 'crazy hike'. It does look to be a very long hike, is there anything else can you share about it? 

Thanks!

I will try to describe what we did and perhaps it will help you decide about Hinewai Reserve hiking.  Take a look at this map:

https://www.bankspeninsulawalks.co.nz/akaroa-walks/

Ou ship's tender brought us into the Main Wharf.  We then walked over to a street opposite Daly's Wharf and walked up to The Giant's House, an uphill grade but not too bad.  Then we turned right out of The Giant's House and began hiking up towards the 4/5 trail.  It was partly on a paved road and then on pasture trails and, to be honest, it was a very steep incline the entire way.  We finally gave up as we probably got to the point where you see the numbers 4/5 on the trail because the view over the bay was spectacular, wasn't going to get better and the hiking was just too hard (and we're in decent shape).  We returned via the yellow 2 trail which was much more interesting and more of a downhill meander through some woods, etc.  It would have probably been better to go up the 2 and down the 4/5!

Not sure how you plan on getting to the Hanawei Reserve but it does look like a great place to hike but on the other side of the mountain from Akaroa.

Thank you very much for the info and the link. That was quite helpful. I was thinking we would hike to Hanawei. Looking at the link the circular 6 Misty Peaks hike looks interesting too. I will try to get a copy of the recommended  "Akaroa Country Walks" brochure in advance.  

Best Regards,

Bob