Cruise Critic Community

The CDC just released updated health scores for all cruise ships. Royal Caribbean was all over the board. Some of there ships were almost perfect while others didn’t even get an “A”. No rhyme or reason as far as new ship, old, etc.

I was disappointed to see the Mariner so low. It is one of my favorite ships. If it was just a restaurant, I wouldn’t eat there with that score.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

These aren't the most up to date. At least three ships on that list have been inspected since that date, Brilliance getting 100! 

Do you understand the scoring? Though its lower than others, it's still a pass. Dont judge a ship by its solely USPH score. They dont pass, they dont sail. 

Always better to read the reports as to why they lost points. I read one once for a Disney ship who lost a point because there was a fly flying around the dining area of the buffet, there was then a note stating the fly was disposed of correctly, and another that there was an incorrect type of floor in the crew area, which doesn't effect the health of guests at all...

Posted (edited)

Looking at the actual report Mariner, instead of the final score, while there are a few things concerning nothing that was too bad.  In the report they were immediately taking action on some of the items.  Some of the reported items appeared multiple times, due to coming under two different parts of the inspection process.

You also need to the look at the Corrective action report submitted by the ship.

A few of the items, were procedural where better training or updated procedures would be in order.  This was addressed in the Corrective action report.

A few of the items were structural where they would need to replace parts.  The corrective action report addresses this

I am not a RCCL cheerleader, but have worked in the restaurant industry so know how the health inspection process works.  A grade is not always the best way to determine the overall risk to health that a restaurant may put you at.  You need to look at the report and how it is or not being addressed.

Edited by gatour
adding a bit more info

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

The CDC just released updated health scores for all cruise ships. Royal Caribbean was all over the board. Some of there ships were almost perfect while others didn’t even get an “A”. No rhyme or reason as far as new ship, old, etc.

I was disappointed to see the Mariner so low. It is one of my favorite ships. If it was just a restaurant, I wouldn’t eat there with that score.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

Wont look into this too much. Worked in Rest as Manager for yrs. Ironic thing is get a bad score within month that will be the cleanest/safest as corrections are made, wouldnt avoid like you. By the way I had one of the cleanest Rest/highest score in the County. Even got couple awards from County Health Dept. Was easy as we had only 30 customers a day during Winter months, nothing to do but clean and take food temps

Edited by ONECRUISER

Super informative, I learned a lot. Thanks for the feedback.

1 hour ago, GarlicBread said:

These aren't the most up to date. At least three ships on that list have been inspected since that date, Brilliance getting 100! 

Where do you find the more recent reports?  I looked up the most recent Brilliance score on the CDC website and it shows the 2017 score of 97.

We were on the 4/7 sailing of Freedom. On the eve of debarkation in a certain specialty restaurant, we spied (and took a snapshot) of a poorly written, typed RCL employee memo lying in plain view for all to see.

Contents read:

"Good evening all USPH Tomorrow. We must be USPH prepared when entering a US port. Last San Juan inspection was not great, however I expect to see much better results tomorrow. We must be fully prepared and our areas must be in compliance by the time we start our inspection at 6:30 am. I strongly urge that you stress to your teams they should be ready, unfortunately if areas are not in compliance, then people will be held accountable! Please focus on cleanliness & check thoroughly when we are checking our areas. All areas should be deep cleaned tonight.

Focus on cleanliness, labeling & checking that all your fridges/cupboards, lockers have nothing in them that shouldn't be there.. (Treat it like a Charlie Drill & you are looking for a bomb!!)

7 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Where do you find the more recent reports?  I looked up the most recent Brilliance score on the CDC website and it shows the 2017 score of 97.

Probably not the report, but the score...

All over FB: crew member friends onboard and theres a very reliable page that announces all the scores the day of the inspection via crew onboard...

The actual report wont be out till a while after...

Rhapsody got 100 in February and Brilliance in April