Is there such a thing as a Mid-Ship, Lower Deck Suite?

hellopenny

Hello All!  Thanks in advance for your attention and responses.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and can tolerate the motion to a point.   I also have desires to try out the luxury options on the larger ships (NCL, Carnival, Princess, etc.).

I am looking for the most luxury that is Mid-Ship and Lower Deck! 

I think the closest I have found is the cove balcony rooms on the Carnival Dream class ships.  These rooms appeal to me, however again... the benefits from the suite bookings.

I would love a Haven Suite or Grand Ocean Suite!  But, everything I have viewed of room reviews on youtube has made me think otherwise.

This is where I look to you for advice.... any recommendations?  

Thank You All!

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Grand class ships on princess

Have on deck 6  starboard side ... windows suites  no balcony

note they are under partly under the promenade

They are large and come with all the princess suite perks and are the cheapest suites on the ship...

Cheers Don

Don - not all the Grand Class have the Deck 6 Suites, I believe it was Grand, Golden and possibly 1 other ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks, thought there was 3 just couldn't remember which one.

In my original answer (post #4) I totally forgot about the window suites on the Grand, Golden and Caribbean - and we've cruised in one on the Caribbean!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, getting older slowly said:

Grand class ships on princess

Have on deck 6  starboard side ... windows suites  no balcony

note they are under partly under the promenade

They are large and come with all the princess suite perks and are the cheapest suites on the ship...

Cheers Don

Hi Don,

Does that mean these can be noisy rooms?

Thanks Everyone For the Advice!

Penny

We had no noise problems with our window suite.  The area is very quiet, all the rooms are along a single corridor out of traffic, and there are doors on both ends of the corridor.  Check out the deck plans.

Usually, suites are on the upper decks....that's considered 'prime" real estate.  If you don't need a balcony, then you may find a family suite on a lower deck...usually the 2 cabins at the very front of the ship.  

13 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Usually, suites are on the upper decks....that's considered 'prime" real estate.  If you don't need a balcony, then you may find a family suite on a lower deck...usually the 2 cabins at the very front of the ship.  

That is one of the mysteries of cruising.  On many ships the most expensive cabins are on the upper decks...often pretty far forward or on the stern.  And yet, the most stable part of any ship would be the lower decks amidship.  In some ways the cruising public has been conned by the cruise lines.  Consider that Celebrity charges more money for its Aqua Class cabins located right under the pool deck (where you get noise from scraping chairs above) with balconies that seem like they are inside a cave (because of the huge overhang and superstructure from the pool deck.  MSC has its heralded Yacht Club in the most forward highest section of the vessel which is not ideal for folks that care about ship movement.  

We do have an observation based on far more than 1000 days/nights on cruise ships.  The quietest part of the ship is actually on the upper decks close to the bow!  Why?  Because this part of the ship is furthest from most of the main mechanical systems (engines, motors, props, etc) and forward of the front elevators which minimizes traffic in the corridors.  The quietest cabin we ever had was directly behind the bridge.  There was no vibration from engines or props, no noise from adjacent cabins (some of whom housed senior officers who maintain quiet since they need to sleep all times of the day and night) and no outside foot traffic of talking because there were no other cabins in front of us...other then the bridge and the Captain's cabin (and he actually entered from the other side of the ship.   So what is wrong with being housed on the bow?  Nothing for folks like us who could care less about any ship movement.  But for those who are sensitive to movement this is the most unstable part of the vessel.

Hank

My favorite suite perks by far is on celebrity, great suite restaurant and elegant suite lounge with free drinks all day and night . Had both a sky suite which is a little small and larger celebrity suite on deck six in middle of the ship. This was on ship infinity, summit just got refurbished and has same suites. Brand new edge has private pool area called the retreat.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:44 AM, Hlitner said:

That is one of the mysteries of cruising.  On many ships the most expensive cabins are on the upper decks...often pretty far forward or on the stern.  And yet, the most stable part of any ship would be the lower decks amidship.  In some ways the cruising public has been conned by the cruise lines.  Consider that Celebrity charges more money for its Aqua Class cabins located right under the pool deck (where you get noise from scraping chairs above) with balconies that seem like they are inside a cave (because of the huge overhang and superstructure from the pool deck.  MSC has its heralded Yacht Club in the most forward highest section of the vessel which is not ideal for folks that care about ship movement.  

We do have an observation based on far more than 1000 days/nights on cruise ships.  The quietest part of the ship is actually on the upper decks close to the bow!  Why?  Because this part of the ship is furthest from most of the main mechanical systems (engines, motors, props, etc) and forward of the front elevators which minimizes traffic in the corridors.  The quietest cabin we ever had was directly behind the bridge.  There was no vibration from engines or props, no noise from adjacent cabins (some of whom housed senior officers who maintain quiet since they need to sleep all times of the day and night) and no outside foot traffic of talking because there were no other cabins in front of us...other then the bridge and the Captain's cabin (and he actually entered from the other side of the ship.   So what is wrong with being housed on the bow?  Nothing for folks like us who could care less about any ship movement.  But for those who are sensitive to movement this is the most unstable part of the vessel.

Hank

From experience, cabins just aft of the Bridge are usually very quiet, except when in restricted visibility. Some ships have the whistle a few decks above and when the whistle sounds it isn't fun.😞

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:00 PM, George C said:

My favorite suite perks by far is on celebrity, great suite restaurant and elegant suite lounge with free drinks all day and night . Had both a sky suite which is a little small and larger celebrity suite on deck six in middle of the ship. This was on ship infinity, summit just got refurbished and has same suites. Brand new edge has private pool area called the retreat.

Michael's club is a little used facility as well.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

From experience, cabins just aft of the Bridge are usually very quiet, except when in restricted visibility. Some ships have the whistle a few decks above and when the whistle sounds it isn't fun.😞

A few years ago we did a "crossing" on the Queen Mary2 from Southampton.  Within a few hours of leaving England we cruised into nasty fog and drizzle and this awful weather stayed with us for 5 days.  The fog was so thick that the fog horn was going day and night.  We had booked one of the cheapest cabins on the ship..an inside cabin on a lower passenger deck.  In our cabin we could not hear anything.  But those in the expensive "grill" suites all had to put up with that blasting fog horn for nearly the entire crossing.  Our friends, who were in a large suite, never got a decent night's sleep while we slept like babies.  

Hank

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

A few years ago we did a "crossing" on the Queen Mary2 from Southampton.  Within a few hours of leaving England we cruised into nasty fog and drizzle and this awful weather stayed with us for 5 days.  The fog was so thick that the fog horn was going day and night.  We had booked one of the cheapest cabins on the ship..an inside cabin on a lower passenger deck.  In our cabin we could not hear anything.  But those in the expensive "grill" suites all had to put up with that blasting fog horn for nearly the entire crossing.  Our friends, who were in a large suite, never got a decent night's sleep while we slept like babies.  

Hank

Sometimes it pays to be not in the so called better cabins..

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

So true and no matter how often you experience it, you don't get un-desturbed sleep. My last live aboard ship, my cabin was right aft of the Bridge and below the foremast, where the whistles were located. You could almost get used to the noise, but the vibrations were terrible. Every 2-minutes you almost got tossed out the bunk.

• Haha 1