Cruising NOLA 1st time help!

BrezQ

On 5/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, AIRBUSDRIVER said:

Do yourself a favor and download the uber/lyft app onto your phone.  It is cleaner, safer and half the price.  No more smelly cabs or questionable drivers.  UBER/LYFT drivers are rated on their service and performance so good incentive for them to get a steady stream of fares.  Over 100 uber rides and every one of them has been 100% satisfaction for us.  

I'm glad you love Uber but it is not half the price of a taxi. The Uber website estimates the cost that is slightly higher than a taxi.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2019 at 2:30 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

I booked our hotel. It is the Courtyard by Marriot in French Quarter on Iberville St. I heard (from the hotel) that it will be a $33 taxi ride from MSY to hotel. Hotel does not offer any free airport shuttle. So, it looks like taxi for us from MSY to hotel and hotel to port. We’ve never tried Uber or Lyft. 

I hope you do a review when you get back. I just booked the same hotel for October. Couldn't beat the price for the French Quarter. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 1:50 PM, coldinkansas said:

We Stayed at the Prytania Park last time in NO. It is in the Garden district and we used the Street Car for transportation into the French Quarter. It was a great little hotel that really is New Orleans style, Breakfast in the courtyard and very quaint. We parked for the cruise at Fulton Place and have used them several time and will use them again when in New Orleans.

I adore the Queen Anne and have stayed there twice before two of my cruises. It's so quiet and love the rooms!

I loved Hilton Riverside.  You can walk to the port through the mall, and the streetcar stops right at the hotel.  Check out the French Market, Jackson Square, Cafe duMonde, Tahyo Tavern (from Pitbulls and Parolees), and the old US Mint.  Download the RTA app and get a 1 day Jazzy pass for unlimited rides for $3, or 3 days for $9.  You can download it and pay for it before you even get into town, the streetcars don't give change so using the app is the best way.  Free Tours by Foot does many types of tours, they're excellent.

When I stayed at Riverside I woke up early on Cruise day, and walked up to Cafe duMonde at about 7:15am, I got there in about 20 minutes.  There were two other tables in there besides me, it was great.  Then walked back down the riverfront.  Have fun!

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2019 at 1:43 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

We chose our hotel for its close proximity to all the restaurants and bars. We will be at a Courtyard by Marriott in the French Quarter. I was quite surprised they didn’t offer a free breakfast, though. Oh, well, that gives me a chance to try a beignet. 😎

The best Beignets are at Cafe du Monde, 800 Decatur St. The place gets crowded but it’s worth a short wait. 

5 hours ago, skrufy said:

The best Beignets are at Cafe du Monde, 800 Decatur St. The place gets crowded but it’s worth a short wait. 

We made that cruise this past February. Let me just say that the hotel was fine, the location right there near Bourbon St. But we’d never stay in that area again. The streets were filthy! Vomit and urine here and there, with bums/drunks curled right up on the sidewalks! The further you get from Bourbon, the better. If we ever cruise out of NOLA again, we will stay elsewhere. We did take a streetcar into the Garden District, which was very nice. As for breakfast, we ate every morning at the Ruby Slipper. It was the very BEST meal of the day. Since my hubby does not eat seafood, we had a very hard time finding a restaurant within walking distance of our hotel that had food he’d eat. The many famous restaurants we passed were primarily seafood, and those with a steak would cost us $45-65 just for the steak with sides being extra! And the beignets, we never did get to Cafe Dumond, but did have excellent beignets at Cafe Beignet in the Musician Legend Park on Bourbon, which was our haven in the chaos of Bourbon. We could sit in there, have a coffee and beignets and listen to some jazz.

Jumping in on this thread to see if anyone has had experience flying into NOLA the day of the cruise -

And taking the cruise-ship offered bus from the airport over to the cruise-port ? or - better to just grab a cab ??? 

Sailing out of NOLA (hopefully !) on December 6, 2020 on the Breakaway

Last time we sailed out of NOLA we did all of the sights, etc. - this time our flight gets in plenty early enough - so we don't need to spend night prior in a hotel in NOLA..

Thanks 

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 8:54 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Jumping in on this thread to see if anyone has had experience flying into NOLA the day of the cruise -

And taking the cruise-ship offered bus from the airport over to the cruise-port ? or - better to just grab a cab ??? 

Last time we sailed out of NOLA we did all of the sights, etc. - this time our flight gets in plenty early enough - so we don't need to spend night prior in a hotel in NOLA..

Thanks 

What time do you get in?  Early arrivals sometimes are made to wait quite a while for a bus to arrive and/or fill up.  By 11am-12pm the arrivals are pretty thick and buses depart frequently.  You may want to play it by ear. If you arrive early and it looks like a log wait then get a cab.  Of course, Covid-era boarding process could be upended from what we know.  For all we know we will have required check-in times.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:54 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Thanks 

Hmm....I hope you’re not flying out of a northern city. We fly out of Buffalo, and we would never risk flying in the day of cruise. Anything can happen to delay or cancel your flight. Way too risky. I have not tried flying in the day of since my first Carnival cruise in 2000. Unbelievably stressful. I haven’t done it since. We fly in at the very least, one day prior, but often more days, for a better “cushion”.