Best way to check email on Transatlantic

Doing the TA on Rhapsody in 5 days.  The RC site offers us internet packages, but we would only need that if project work becomes available.  However, we would not know work is available without having email.  Is there a way to quickly check email without committing to $10/day for 14 days?

If we do get work, can I buy internet once onboard, for the remaining days of the cruise? ( I recognize the cost would then be at higher "onboard" prices.)

Edited by grinningimm

7 minutes ago, grinningimm said:

Doing the TA on Rhapsody in 5 days.  The RC site offers us internet packages, but we would only need that if project work becomes available.  However, we would not know work is available without having email.  Is there a way to quickly check email without committing to $10/day for 14 days?

If we do get work, can I buy internet once onboard, for the remaining days of the cruise? ( I recognize the cost would then be at higher "onboard" prices.)

The smallest amount of internet time you can now buy is one 24 hour consecutive period which is again more expensive than the daily rate if you were to buy for the remainder of the cruise.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

You could check email via Cellular at Sea if your carrier allows it but I would advise against it. Data usage via cellular can be very expensive, like $6/mb. You could run up huge charges just checking mail.
Getting internet for the entire TA would be less than messing with cellular at Sea imho. I got burned by that once, learned to get the internet and make wifi phone calls.

4 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

You could check email via Cellular at Sea if your carrier allows it but I would advise against it. Data usage via cellular can be very expensive, like $6/mb. You could run up huge charges just checking mail.

Along that line of thought...

Is there anyone at home that could check e mail for you and then text you if you received the e mail you were looking for.  Many phone carriers allow texting at reasonable rates while still at sea.

Depending on your options, you could forward some email messages to SMS.  I believe the SMS charge is 50 cents per message.  Depending on the number you receive that could be used as an indicator as to your need for a full day of internet access.

Here an article with info on what email address to use to send the SMS message.

https://20somethingfinance.com/how-to-send-text-messages-sms-via-email-for-free/

19 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Depending on your options, you could forward some email messages to SMS.  I believe the SMS charge is 50 cents per message.  Depending on the number you receive that could be used as an indicator as to your need for a full day of internet access.

Here an article with info on what email address to use to send the SMS message.

https://20somethingfinance.com/how-to-send-text-messages-sms-via-email-for-free/

Actually, 50 cents is typically the charge for sending texts. Received texts are normally less. With AT&T, received texts are free.

1 minute ago, grinningimm said:

Keep the ideas coming...

@Host Clarea - can you buy access for a single day whenever you want, be it early or late in the cruise?

Yes.

Look at the link I posted above and see the "SINGLE DAY PASS".  You would only need the Surf for $22.99.

You could also ask some nice person to use their connection for 10 minutes every day.  But that would probably mean you would buy them a drink to thank them.  And a nice frozen drink is $12, which is more than the daily cost of the internet package bought ahead of time. 😄