Fair compensation thoughts needed

19 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Since the OP already accepted compensation in the form of an additional (inside) cabin...isn't the door closed for anything further?

I would have to agree. Their premise likely is that they have provided the cabin inhabitants who cannot sleep at night with all the noise a separate cabin for their use that is quiet and thus addresses/deals with the major complaint

Speak to your Concierge.  We had an Owner's Suite on Rhapsody and the noise during the night from the Windjammer was awful.  I spoke to the Concierge and instantly he offered me a 50% Future Cruise Credit and told me to phone Guest Services to complain if it kept happening.  Excellent service!

10 minutes ago, Bizzie07 said:

Speak to your Concierge.  We had an Owner's Suite on Rhapsody and the noise during the night from the Windjammer was awful.  I spoke to the Concierge and instantly he offered me a 50% Future Cruise Credit and told me to phone Guest Services to complain if it kept happening.  Excellent service!

👍

Again, thanks all for the input. We believe there is a difference in experience between what was booked and asking a cabin mate late in the evening to pack up and walk to the other end of the ship to sleep.  And in the morning, calling/ texting to find out if they are awake and to make plans, etc. for the day. If that is what we wanted, we we have booked 2 rooms and saved thousands. 

We we are in discussion with the concierge, who has been very helpful, so will let you know the outcome, if appropriate. 

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Since the OP already accepted compensation in the form of an additional (inside) cabin...isn't the door closed for anything further?

No,  the inside cabin they provided  to sleep is not compensation...it's the bare minimum they had to do to try to fix a small part of the issue (sleeping being impossible). It did not fix the issue. 

Partial refund (unlikely), FCC (expect around 30% based on previous similar expeerience) , etc... will be the compensation.

-jani

• Like 1

Just now, jani said:

No,  the inside cabin they provided  to sleep is not compensation...it's the bare minimum they had to do to try to fix a small part of the issue (sleeping being impossible). It did not fix the issue. 

Partial refund (unlikely), FCC (expect around 30% based on previous similar expeerience) , etc... will be the compensation.

-jani

👍

This happened to my husband and I on the Anthem a few years ago. We were in a Junior Suite and went 5 nights without sleep on a 12 night cruise.  We talked to guest services and they offered us 15 percent off our next cruise (FCC) and we took it up the chain until finally, we sat down with the Guest Services manager who gave us 30 percent off and a balcony cabin (90 cabins away) to sleep in at night.  They also gave us ear plugs but that did not work.  We were very happy with our resolution in the end. don't give up until you feel your happy with the outcome.

Edited by Colorado Babe

I would think some OBC would be correct for this situation.  Heck I was on a 16 day transatlantic a few years ago and we were delayed in leaving Southampton for 2 days and missed 3 ports - got a 50% FCC on that one - way more than I expected

19 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. Been cruising 30+ yrs and higher waves more likely hear things banging. Like near Anchors when at Port or below WindJammer when they move tables in early am, not much be done about it. Use to Cruise only during Peak Hurricane Season, on one Cruise was 4 names storms so ship was a rocking. Metal on metal banging, funny thing was in a 2Bd/2Ba all to myself when had same. Oh well, just don't get cabin again. Only do Aft anymore anyway...

I can't remember if it was Monarch or Majesty but it was deck 2 all the way forward where we experienced our first close encounter with a dropping anchor. Yowza! That'll get your attention.

Just now, Big_G said:

I can't remember if it was Monarch or Majesty but it was deck 2 all the way forward where we experienced our first close encounter with a dropping anchor. Yowza! That'll get your attention.

Yes, forward on sister ship Sovereign was loud Anchor that I remember waking to,,,

When we were in a Crown Loft on the Symphony last month, the sprinkler malfunctioned and went off over the living area one morning.  We were not in the cabin but got an email from the concierge asking us to come see him.  He explained what happened and asked us to stay out of the room for a few hours.  The sofa, floor and cushions were soaked. The sofa was important as our son was sleeping on it. Luckily none of our belongings were in the wet zone.  My son's Switch and iPad almost were but luckily he left them in a different spot that day. Maintenance came in with those carpet dryers, they put the cushions outside and tidied up the mess.  The dryers were in there for over 24 hours.  My son was able to sleep on the sofa that night.   Apparently it happened to at least one other cabin.

We did not ask for any compensation as nothing was damaged and it did not end up affecting our sleep. While we were eating dinner the next night in Coastal Kitchen, the Concierge came over with a letter apologizing and offering us a 20% of the base fare of our cruise in FCC .  It was not that much as we had upgraded a complimentary cruise so it only ended up being $616 total for three people, but it was nice for them to acknowledge the issue and offer something.  I did not even mention it on CC as it really was not a big deal.

I think if we got 20% for a minor inconvenience, the issue you are experiencing would warrant some kind of FCC or OBC as well.  A noise that loud every night is way more inconvenient than a damp floor/sofa.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

A cruise should be for relaxing and the noise you describe is unacceptable.  I realize that you are focussing on lack of sleep but I am sure that the noise is bothersome throughout the day which makes relaxing and reading a book etc. not as enjoyable as it should be in the privacy of your cabin.  I hope the concierge is able to offer better compensation to you and yours.

Further, my husband would absolutely go crazy if this happened to us which of course would affect the harmony in our cabin. 😏 I likely would be trying to make the best of it. (with compensation of course) and he would be driving me bonkers.  Not the best vacation experience. 😠

Just now, cruisekap said:

A cruise should be for relaxing and the noise you describe is unacceptable.  I realize that you are focussing on lack of sleep but I am sure that the noise is bothersome throughout the day which makes relaxing and reading a book etc. not as enjoyable as it should be in the privacy of your cabin.  I hope the concierge is able to offer better compensation to you and yours.

Further, my husband would absolutely go crazy if this happened to us which of course would affect the harmony in our cabin. 😏 I likely would be trying to make the best of it. (with compensation of course) and he would be driving me bonkers.  Not the best vacation experience. 😠

You summed it up perfectly. Not able to take a nap on the sofa during the day and, yes, a bit of discord in the cabin. Thanks. 

Compensation isn't something that RCI seem great with IME,we are booked on Anthems repo cruise in April 2020,the really interesting part of the cruise,for us anyway,was a visit to New York & the stop at Halifax,RCI have removed the Halifax call from the cruise,for us pretty well ruining the cruise,their idea of compensation is to want £150 from us to switch to another cruise!

We had something similar a few years ago on Adventure. We were in a GS and had a very loud squeaking noise when the ship was travelling over about 10 knots. Definitely not the usual sort of noise of the ship moving. Maintenance came and removed ceiling panels but couldn't find anything.

We thought the noise was coming from lower down in the bathroom. DH used to be a maintenance engineer and actually said if they would give him some tools he'd look himself but they refused. After lots of false starts a week into the cruise they eventually removed the bath panel and found the squeak.

During this time they gave us ear plugs and offered us a JS to sleep in but we declined. The Concierge sent us a bottle of champagne and we were happy they fixed it and didn't ask for anything else. On the last day of the cruise we came back to the cabin to find a letter on the bed with a 30% future cruise credit. Perhaps you'll get something too.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, Tapi said:

I’ve encountered loud noises of varying nature before (mystery noises, public venues, music, neighbors, loose equipment, etc),  some lasting the entire cruise, but it honesty never occurred to me that I should be compensated for that.

same here.  On one of our RCI cruises we had a guarantee room. The service noise started at 4 am every night behind the wall. It was a service corridor... No compensation. We did have ear plugs which didn't help.

On our recent NCL cruise the balcony divider was banging loudly all night long for 3 our of 7 nights. It was a very forward cabin, and the winds were very strong. Didn't occur to ask for compensation, although we couldn't sleep even with the ear plugs... Mom's balcony was making banging noises as well.

15 hours ago, paul1268 said:

Again, thanks all for the input. We believe there is a difference in experience between what was booked and asking a cabin mate late in the evening to pack up and walk to the other end of the ship to sleep.  And in the morning, calling/ texting to find out if they are awake and to make plans, etc. for the day. If that is what we wanted, we we have booked 2 rooms and saved thousands. 

We we are in discussion with the concierge, who has been very helpful, so will let you know the outcome, if appropriate. 

Clearly you didn't "sign up" for separate cabins.  I bet you didn't sign up for rolling and pitching and bad weather.  But it's the hand you were dealt.  I agree with others, be careful what you accept as it may be considered "full compensation."  But it sounds to me like you are able to sleep in one bedroom in the GS, just not whomever is in the second bedroom.  Is this correct or did I misunderstand?  Also if you are able to use an inside cabin for sleep, and still able to enjoy the GS during the day, that seems to be reasonable.  If this is only happening during rough seas, then likely it will smooth out and no longer be a problem.   I would certainly keep options open, but seems that it would be better to just deal with their current solution than to spend the entire cruise stewing  over how bad it is and what's "fair compensation."  No one can really tell you what's "fair."  I might be happy to just have the second cabin for sleeping and enjoy the cruise.  Others suggested a free flight home and full refund.  What will make YOU happy?  Certainly no one will argue that you are due something for the inconvenience.  

I will also say that none of us are experiencing this so it's hard to really understand the extent of the problem.  Like I said, can you sleep in the cabin and it's only the second bedroom occupants that need to move?  Can you use the cabin during the day or is the noise too loud, rendering the cabin unusable?  

Anyway, good luck. Hope you'll be able to work out something acceptable to you and  you can enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by papaflamingo

On 4/22/2019 at 9:29 PM, paul1268 said:

Currently on a longer cruise in a grand suite 2 bedroom (family suite). Whenever we have rolling (side to side) ships motion, there is loud banging noise in the ceiling near the entry to the second bedroom. Seas have been rough so noise is happening consistently ( it is much more than the typical ship creaking). We can not sleep in the second bedroom. Maintenance  has reviewed the situation and it cannot be repaired without extensive ceiling removal so they can not fix in a day or two. 

The ship is full. They found a distant inside room for sleeping and we got a bottle of wine. Not the relaxing suite experience that we paid for.

Any thoughts on a more appropriate or fair compensation that we could ask for?

I would prefer not to discuss the specific ship or other details unless necessary. Thanks. 

It is a ship, it will creak, bang, make noises, roll, pitch and all the works. I suggest a pair of good ear plugs and enjoying the wine, instead of fighting it out for compensation.

Edited by Arzeena

18 hours ago, Bizzie07 said:

Did you actually get the FCC?  I'm surprised a Concierge has that level of empowerment.