Marella or P&O - anyone used both?

This really depends on what type of cruise you want.  I was a P&O girl but now converted to Marella.  P&O is more formal and staff not as friendly.  Food is better on P&O but ok on Marella (as long as you are not a vegan).  I like the entertainment better on Marella.  Booking on board excursions is a waster of money on Marella,  Destinations are all very much the same.  Cabins are similar.   Marella is All inclusive.  Value for money I'd go with Marella, if you want something a little more formal I'd god with P&O.  

I am a self confessed P&O regular and fan and tried Marella for the first time last November. The cruise on Discovery 2 was to Panama, Colombia and Costa Rica via Montego Bay and was chosen primarily for the interesting itinerary and the fact that it was a 7 day cruise and fitted our dates. We had a fabulous time and liked it enough to book again with Marella, this time on the new adult ship Explorer 2 this summer.

Overall Marella and P&O matched up very well - standards were equally high, the food on Discovery 2 was as excellent and varied and service in the main restaurants was equally excellent. Cabins and service by cabin stewards was much the same - again equally high standards. Staff were very friendly - but then I have always found the P&O staff very friendly .

Differences? ...
Well, we loved the All Inclusive drinks and Gratuities and were more than happy with the quality of the basic drinks package and didn't feel the need to upgrade. This was a feature which made Marella a really good value cruise. P&O have switched to Service Inclusive as from May, but are not All Inclusive for drinks even though their drinks are very reasonably priced in our opinion. P&O have recently introduced a Drinks Package, which many of us feel misses the mark and would not be worthwhile.

Another excellent feature on Discovery 2 was the provision of a carafe in every cabin for use with the chilled water machines at very  convenient locations around the cabin decks. This solved all the issues onboard P&O regarding drinking tap water in the cabins or not and filling up personal water bottles from machines in the buffet.

We found the entertainment absolutely superb, especially the performers and the shows. It was very professional in all aspects and have to admit had the real edge over P&O's.

Marella was more informal and relaxed, I would say more of a 'fun' atmosphere across the ship - but still high standards and very well organised. Dress code is more informal and relaxed, with the Dress to Impress Night being optional.  P&O still have the traditional Formal Night twice a week with the requirement of Black Tie Dress Code in the MDR and certain venues. We actually like both!

I think I would say that the age demograph was younger on Discovery 2 last year, whether because of the itinerary, time of year or because it was a fly cruise, I don't know but it did seem to have a younger clientele.

In conclusion, we  really loved it and had a really excellent cruise. Overall I remain a P&O lass as overall P&O's style suits us best - but I will not hesitate to try Marella again for another interesting itinerary.

Edited by Scriv
  • Thanks 1

A very fair and balanced comparison Scriv.  We have done both P&O and Marella but find Marella suits us more mainly due to the itineraries, the low amount of sea days and the longer days in port. However we also take cost into the equation and like for like Marella usually comes out cheaper.

For us the fly-cruise options are, by far, much better than P&O . We also have done other cruise lines, but much prefer what Marella have to offer. The newer additions to the fleet have made cruising much the same as P&O and other lines in the same price bracket, but a little less formal, something that suits us. 

Yes, fewer sea days and longer port days are also a plus with Marella - I think Marella have been very short assessing a gap in the market with their smaller ships as p&o and other companies seem to be focusing on the big. Also being a little less formal and an excellent range of fly cruise options will attract many.

However a big negative for us is  TUI Marella Customer Service  - if you have any query or problem before or after your booking it's a real nightmare getting anything sorted or even finding 2 representatives who say the same thing.

Edited by Scriv

I agree with many of the previous comparisons, and where Marella gain the most is the availability of direct flights from local airports.

We too are long time P&O patrons but have also frequented other cruise lines. In 2016 we tried the newly acquired Tui Discovery and really liked it. Since then we have sailed on the Discovery three times and Discovery 2 twice, and unfortunately, the Marella  Dream.

Initially we thought the set up was excellent, but early last year we had 3 major ports, Havana Cuba, Bahamas, and Lisbon Portugal, cancelled only weeks before sailing, which was very disappointing, particularly as there seemed to be no justifiable reason for it. Then in late Autumn last year we flew to Aqaba to join Discovery for a middle East cruise. After 6 days the ship broke down and limped to Dubai where she stayed for the remainder of the cruise missing 4 major ports. The concerning thing was that daily updates were vague and gave no indication of progress so we had no real idea of what was happening. What amazed us was that, where on other lines when unforeseen malfunctions occur there is a big flurry of activity with parts etc being flown in, Marella seemed to have minimal back up support and the whole scenario was a farce.

We were compensated very quickly with 50% of what we had paid, but we would rather have had the holiday we expected.

We spent that money on a week on the Dream round the Canaries in January this year, but the Dream is obviously a Marmite ship, you either love it or hate it. We found it dreadful, a tired, rusty old ship. Our cabin, while spacious, creaked and groaned, the toilet bowl was cracked, the air con was uncontrollable, and the windows very corroded. So that was our last venture with Marella. We cancelled a 2 week cruise on Discovery 2 on our return from the Dream.

So our next cruise, 2 weeks ago, was on a ship we said we wouldn't go on because of the size, P&O Britannia. We are now hooked on that ship and delighted to be back with P&O. Every aspect was excellent. It is a bit more formal, but we don't mind that. We did find Marella a bit too relaxed with beachwear being permitted in restaurants in the evening.

We found the food on P&O slightly better quality, and the service not as rushed as Marella.

Everyone sees things differently, we think P&O are better perhaps because they are a dedicated cruise line, whereas Marella are part of the Tui holiday empire, and maybe don't have the level of support and investment.

I accept we have probably been unlucky with events. I think Marella have a lot to offer but will be reluctant to return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit that the biggest draw for Marella is "the availability of direct flights from local airports". Maybe Marella are less attractive if you have the choice of flying from Gatwick.
You seem to have been very unfortunate to have experienced so many cancelled ports. I suppose I am lucky, only missed Guadalupe due to local protests (Martinique instead) and Menorca due to bad weather (Majorca instead).
A bit of the luck of the draw.
I am soon to be cruising for the first time on Dream, hope I like it.

Edited by GOQ
Can't spell

3 hours ago, jake 26 said:

I agree with many of the previous comparisons, and where Marella gain the most is the availability of direct flights from local airports.

We too are long time P&O patrons but have also frequented other cruise lines. In 2016 we tried the newly acquired Tui Discovery and really liked it. Since then we have sailed on the Discovery three times and Discovery 2 twice, and unfortunately, the Marella  Dream.

Initially we thought the set up was excellent, but early last year we had 3 major ports, Havana Cuba, Bahamas, and Lisbon Portugal, cancelled only weeks before sailing, which was very disappointing, particularly as there seemed to be no justifiable reason for it. Then in late Autumn last year we flew to Aqaba to join Discovery for a middle East cruise. After 6 days the ship broke down and limped to Dubai where she stayed for the remainder of the cruise missing 4 major ports. The concerning thing was that daily updates were vague and gave no indication of progress so we had no real idea of what was happening. What amazed us was that, where on other lines when unforeseen malfunctions occur there is a big flurry of activity with parts etc being flown in, Marella seemed to have minimal back up support and the whole scenario was a farce.

We were compensated very quickly with 50% of what we had paid, but we would rather have had the holiday we expected.

We spent that money on a week on the Dream round the Canaries in January this year, but the Dream is obviously a Marmite ship, you either love it or hate it. We found it dreadful, a tired, rusty old ship. Our cabin, while spacious, creaked and groaned, the toilet bowl was cracked, the air con was uncontrollable, and the windows very corroded. So that was our last venture with Marella. We cancelled a 2 week cruise on Discovery 2 on our return from the Dream.

So our next cruise, 2 weeks ago, was on a ship we said we wouldn't go on because of the size, P&O Britannia. We are now hooked on that ship and delighted to be back with P&O. Every aspect was excellent. It is a bit more formal, but we don't mind that. We did find Marella a bit too relaxed with beachwear being permitted in restaurants in the evening.

We found the food on P&O slightly better quality, and the service not as rushed as Marella.

Everyone sees things differently, we think P&O are better perhaps because they are a dedicated cruise line, whereas Marella are part of the Tui holiday empire, and maybe don't have the level of support and investment.

I accept we have probably been unlucky with events. I think Marella have a lot to offer but will be reluctant to return.

Bad luck can influence opinions. For example my longest and most expensive cruise was a P&O world segment from Sydney to Singapore. It was my worst cruise experience. Firstly we expected the 2 days in Sydney, what we got was one day and an evening. what they omitted to tell us that although the flight arrived at 7am we were not allowed to board until noon and then not allowed to get off the ship until early evening. Next was an obnoxious drunk know it all who boarded at Brisbane, now I like Blackjack and this 'person' insisted on telling everyone how to play and what they were doing wrong, except he did not know how to play. Over the next 28 days security were called twice but despite lots of complaint they refused to ban him from the table. Why, because he was losing heavily. Then we got to China but we did not as there was a storm and we sailed in circles for 2 days. they did pay for our Chinese visas which may have averted a mutiny. Then I got ill  2 days before Singapore and was confined to my cabin. I had to remind the medical staff that I was on a package and they had to get me home. Two days of shenanigans followed. I got a nice hotel but re arranging flight etc did not happen . I had to do that myself. The local TA tried to contact P&O but got no response. Eventually I got home and claimed compensation. It turned out P&O thought I was on a different ship and the hotel had no record of me checking in, hardly surprising as I was in a different hotel. Anyway I ended up with lots of compensation.

that should have put me off P&O for life but it did not

What has put me off is I keep getting stomach upsets with cabin confinement. Once on Thomson a number of years ago for 1 day and several times on P&O. My last experience was 2 separate 2 day confinements on the same 12 day cruise. My next 4 cruises are with Marella and probably the ones next year

If you liked Discovery you will like Explorer and Explorer 2. I have cruised on Explorer and IMO is even better than Discovery

1 hour ago, GOQ said:

I have to admit that the biggest draw for Marella is "the availability of direct flights from local airports". Maybe Marella are less attractive if you have the choice of flying from Gatwick.
You seem to have been very unfortunate to have experienced so many cancelled ports. I suppose I am lucky, only missed Guadalupe due to local protests (Martinique instead) and Menorca due to bad weather (Majorca instead).
A bit of the luck of the draw.
I am soon to be cruising for the first time on Dream, hope I like it.

I was on Dream this winter. I enjoyed it but due for retirement. a marmite ship

Certainly the fact that we lost so many ports last year and a poor experience on the Dream has caused us to lose confidence in Marella but I do think they are going on the right direction.

If nothing else they have brought good competition into the UK cruising market which other lines are reacting to, including P&O who, from next month include tips in the fare.

I am not a great fan of all inclusive. I think Marella have increased their cruise prices to cover it, which does not favour those who drink little, and we noticed an apparent increase in seemingly 'alcohol induced behaviour' last year compared to the 2 previous years when AI wasn't enjoyed by all.

I think P&O's drink prices are set at a good value level, certainly our final bill on Britannia was very reasonable, but we are 'sundowners ' - pre dinner drinks, wine with dinner, and a couple later. P&O are introducing a set of drinks packages but they will not make economic sense to most people, and I think they will need to be reviewed.

I shall watch Marella with interest particularly with the Explorer ships ( as you recommend Dave ). The rancour from our recent experiences will diminish and perhaps then we shall return.

• Thanks 1

The only way to know for yourself is to try.  Most aspects of cruising are very subjective.

I have only cruised with Marella once, aboard Discovery 2 in January last year.  My (subjective) view is that most aspects of that cruise were pretty poor and of a much lower standard than P&O.  I was actually pleased to get off the ship after a week and go home.  As you will have seen above however, others feel Marella are as good as or better than P&O.  As I said, it is very subjective.

If you can get a good deal with Marella that you are happy with, give a try and then you will know.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:46 PM, Britboys said:

The only way to know for yourself is to try.  Most aspects of cruising are very subjective.

I have only cruised with Marella once, aboard Discovery 2 in January last year.  My (subjective) view is that most aspects of that cruise were pretty poor and of a much lower standard than P&O.  I was actually pleased to get off the ship after a week and go home.  As you will have seen above however, others feel Marella are as good as or better than P&O.  As I said, it is very subjective.

If you can get a good deal with Marella that you are happy with, give a try and then you will know.

Britboys  is right,  all our views are very subjective and totally dependent on the actual experience we have and our own personal preferences. So you  really do have to try it yourself to see how you stand.

I remember discussing Britboys' experience on Discovery 2  before I had cruised with Marella after I had asked this very same question. My own experience on Discovery 2 was much more favourable than his, I am happy to say, as I have described above - but it was mine and my own personal tastes and I speak of one particular cruise of 7 days. I could see where Britboys was coming from in the points he then made. 

I also have to say that I travelled with my adult daughter (as opposed to going with my husband) and whereas it worked for us both, I think my husband  would prefer the formal nights and the more traditional atmosphere of P&O.  And we are mid sixties, so maybe that makes a difference haha.

Edited by Scriv

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, Scriv said:

However a big negative for us is  TUI Marella Customer Service  - if you have any query or problem before or after your booking it's a real nightmare getting anything sorted or even finding 2 representatives who say the same thing.

We book via a local TUI shop to avoid dealing direct, a £30 fee for the whole booking is well worth the convenience. They check you in for flights and print your documents as well.

We have done some 20 P&O cruises but our last 2 have been Marella, Discovery and Explorer. They are differences as has been pointed out, but overall I would say comparable. 

My views are the same as Jake 26, especially about the Dream our experience was much the same. We did the Cuban Fusion in Dec unfortunatley missed Havanna because of bad weather and the port was closed, ended up going to Jamaica for an extra day. we did get our visa money back which had been included in the cost of the cruise. Ufortunatley have had to cancel our next 2 cruises with Marella due to our dog being ill.

I think there are differences between the 2 companies , and their are certain favourites in P&Os fleet we love but one we hate the ORIANA.

The regional airport departures with Marella are great for us as we live in Scotland, P&O only do Glasgow and you have to book months in advance to fly from there. Think you have to try both and make your own decison, we all have different needs.

Hi Sandra,

Could you tell me please how you managed to get your visa money back?Also,how much was it?

We were told onboard to phone Marella when we got home,which we did,but we were told that it was not refundable as it hadn't been included in the cost of the cruise. Thought it a bit strange but the person on the phone was adamant that it would not be paid out. Thanks for your help.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, Somerset Cruiser said:

We book via a local TUI shop to avoid dealing direct, a £30 fee for the whole booking is well worth the convenience. They check you in for flights and print your documents as well.

We have done some 20 P&O cruises but our last 2 have been Marella, Discovery and Explorer. They are differences as has been pointed out, but overall I would say comparable. 

Sadly it doesn't seem to have mattered whether booking direct or via a TUI shop as to the problems I mention - no two TUI stores or representatives whether in a shop, on a phone, on-line, on Facebook or via email were able to agree on things according to my recent experiences.

There appears to be a serious problem in communication and the dissemination of information from the top plus a lack of empathy in Customer Care from on high and the inability to even grasp the issue itself. .

Edited by Scriv