3! Random Questions - Deluxe Drink Package/Suitcases

resjes

I am sailing Anthem of the Seas at the end of May out of Bayonne. First time cruiser too.

Question 1 - I see the deluxe drink package is now $46/per day. I don't want to pay that. Will RCI continue to drop prices on drink packages as we get closer to embarking? I am a solo cruiser and don't think I will be drinking that much. It ends up being around $500 for my trip. I also already ordered water bottles to be delivered to my room, since I don't drink anything else except for tea and I was going to bring my own tea bags to save money. I assume getting hot water is easy enough? In terms of liquor, I may have 1-2 hard drinks a day as I ordered wine to be delivered to my room as well to save money. I hate looking at that $500 number but people keep telling me it's worth it. I don't!!

Question 2 - which might be stupid to ask. I know you can bring unlimited suitcases aslong as they are tagged with the RCI luggage tags. It literally says "carry on" luggage to hold wine etc. Does that mean the small rolling suitcases that are taken onto airplanes as "carry on" luggage are not allowed since they have wheels? I assume I am asking a stupid question and as long as I drag it, RCI doesn't care?

Question 3 - I bought TSA/customs approved luggage locks. Can I keep my checked bags locked and if they need to open them, they will do it? I assume checked bags are not inspected in front of me?

Edited by resjes
3rd question

I think $46 a day is a pretty good deal considering drinks are kind of expensive. The drink of the day is $9.95. You also get soft drinks and premium coffee. but let your conscience (and your liver) be your guide. 😀

Not sure about the rolling luggage, but I remember the locks on the luggage being an issue a few years ago. I think the TSA ones have a "special" key that lets them open them if the scan shows something.

older thread: 

Edited by ChrisTheDBA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisTheDBA said:

I think $46 a day is a pretty good deal considering drinks are kind of expensive. The drink of the day is $9.95. You also get soft drinks and premium coffee. but let your conscience (and your liver) be your guide. 😀

Not sure about the rolling luggage, but I remember the locks on the luggage being an issue a few years ago. I think the TSA ones have a "special" key that lets them open them if the scan shows something.

Thanks for the tip about the luggage. I don't drink soda or coffee, so that's the other issue. I know those are included but I don't drink them. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

If you think about the price you paid for the bottled water, the wine you ordered and a couple of drinks a day,  you may be spending close to the $46 per day.  My drinks run close to $13 each.  You can cancel the water and wine, get a refund and buy the alcohol package.

With the package you will be able to get unlimited bottled water, wine and hard liquor.

As far as carrying things on, a rolling suitcase is fine.  I use one for the things I want to have with me as opposed to waiting for my luggage to be delivered.

My suitcases have TSA locks and they are locked when I fly and then board the ship.  If the cruise line sees something suspicious, they will send the suitcase to the "naughty" room for me to open it in front of them.

21 minutes ago, resjes said:

I am sailing Anthem of the Seas at the end of May out of Bayonne. First time cruiser too.

Question 1 - I see the deluxe drink package is now $46/per day. I don't want to pay that. Will RCI continue to drop prices on drink packages as we get closer to embarking? I am a solo cruiser and don't think I will be drinking that much. It ends up being around $500 for my trip. I also already ordered water bottles to be delivered to my room, since I don't drink anything else except for tea and I was going to bring my own tea bags to save money. I assume getting hot water is easy enough? In terms of liquor, I may have 1-2 hard drinks a day as I ordered wine to be delivered to my room as well to save money. I hate looking at that $500 number but people keep telling me it's worth it. I don't!!

Question 2 - which might be stupid to ask. I know you can bring unlimited suitcases aslong as they are tagged with the RCI luggage tags. It literally says "carry on" luggage to hold wine etc. Does that mean the small rolling suitcases that are taken onto airplanes as "carry on" luggage are not allowed since they have wheels? I assume I am asking a stupid question and as long as I drag it, RCI doesn't care?

Question 3 - I bought TSA/customs approved luggage locks. Can I keep my checked bags locked and if they need to open them, they will do it? I assume checked bags are not inspected in front of me?

Anything you carry on the ship is considered a carry on. Roller boards are considered a carry on if you carry (roll) it on the ship with you. Yes you can leave your TSA approved locks on your suitcases. If security needs to see inside your suitcase regardless is it's locked or not you will be summons to the naughty room to open your suitcase for them. 

1 minute ago, katiel53 said:

If you think about the price you paid for the bottled water, the wine you ordered and a couple of drinks a day,  you may be spending close to the $46 per day.  My drinks run close to $13 each.  You can cancel the water and wine, get a refund and buy the alcohol package.

With the package you will be able to get unlimited bottled water, wine and hard liquor.

As far as carrying things on, a rolling suitcase is fine.  I use one for the things I want to have with me as opposed to waiting for my luggage to be delivered.

My suitcases have TSA locks and they are locked when I fly and then board the ship.  If the cruise line sees something suspicious, they will send the suitcase to the "naughty" room for me to open it in front of them.

Thank you for the info. I was going to check on the price I paid for water and the wine. In regards to the unlimited bottle of water, do you know what brand it is? I ordered Evian, I am VERY picky about the water I drink. I don't want like a Sam's Club bottled water, you know what I mean?

Also, I keep reading about the "naughty" room. Are these like private rooms or is everyone standing around awkwardly LOL?

With what you drink, and the water you ordered and the wine you already have I don't believe the deluxe package is worth it for you.  (my opinion)

as long as the carry on fits through the x-ray machine you are good to go (wheels or no wheels does not matter)

If it is a TSA lock-they can get into it easily enough, or as said will send to the naughty room for you to open.

2 minutes ago, resjes said:

Also, I keep reading about the "naughty" room. Are these like private rooms or is everyone standing around awkwardly LOL?

No, not private. Just the area of the ship where all the confiscated or flagged luggage is stored.

Edited by blackshirt

5 minutes ago, queenfrostine22 said:

the water can be "spring" water from an unheard of spring somewhere or "purified" ship bottled water.

Great 😕 so it's not a "name brand" per say? It's RCI's brand?

2 minutes ago, resjes said:

Great 😕 so it's not a "name brand" per say? It's RCI's brand?

I've seen a variety of brands, most recently something called Ice River Springs.

1.  If you are not a big drinker (1-2 day) and only really drink tea, then I would say it is definitely not worth paying for the beverage package!  On shorter cruises, it tends to be more affordable.  I was on a 7-day last cruise and got it...and enjoyed the convenience!  This time I am on a 9-day and the ruling has changed, to where both parties in the cabin need to purchase (and at least a refreshment package if a non-drinker for medical or other reasons).  This was not worth it to me this time.  Price depends on cruise....mine is down to $45/day and I have seen it as high as $56/day when I first booked.

2 & 3.   Carry on luggage refers to any and all luggage that you will be literally carrying onboard with you.  Checked luggage is those bags which go with a porter and you will find outside your room at some point later in the day.  If you choose to keep wine in checked luggage, you take the chance of them holding it and calling you down to the naughty room to retrieve it!  Not sure if the locks would present an issue, as I would think they would have u unlock when/ if they have to call you down....but no guarantee there.  If your luggage does not present any issue, then I am sure you will find it outside your door, still locked!  Never had this happen, so maybe someone else can speak to this better!

26 minutes ago, resjes said:

Thank you for the info. I was going to check on the price I paid for water and the wine. In regards to the unlimited bottle of water, do you know what brand it is? I ordered Evian, I am VERY picky about the water I drink. I don't want like a Sam's Club bottled water, you know what I mean?

Honestly most times I've gotten spring water, but a few times I was given Perrier or some other name brand.  I honestly don't remember what the brand was as it might have been Evian.  I do believe, but perhaps someone else will know, that a name brand can be requested instead of the spring water.

Everyone/anyone that has questionable items in locked suitcases can be in the room.  It is not private at all.  I have never had to go to the naughty room, but that is what I have heard.  Save yourself the trip there by checking the website for prohibited irons.  It seems most times people have gone there because of irons and/or steamers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, all!

So if I want like a strawberry daiquiri - how much will that put me back? I know they add 18% gratuity to each drink. Since I will have wine in my room, I think the only stuff I'm going to enjoy are the frozen alcohol things, since I don't typically get those outside of vacation!

"I don't drink anything else except for tea and I was going to bring my own tea bags to save money." 

FYI,  Tea is also free and included in your fare and hot water is readily available.  A friend of mine used to bring her own tea bags because Royal served Liptons and she is not a fan.  Now they have a selection of better teas. (I think the brand is Bigelow but I am not sure). If you are selective about your tea then definitely bring your own.  However, if you simply want to save money as stated then there is no need as there is a good selection. (English Breakfast, Mint, Earl Grey, Camomille, Green,  etc. also have hot chocolate)

• Like 1

I see you ordered wine for your cabin.  

Royal Caribbean allows its passengers to bring up to two bottles of wine per stateroom onboard their cruise on embarkation day. Each bottle of wine may be up to 750ml in size and should be brought on in your carry-on luggage. Do not put the wine in your checked luggage.

• Like 1

Just now, retiredgram said:

I see you ordered wine for your cabin.  

Royal Caribbean allows its passengers to bring up to two bottles of wine per stateroom onboard their cruise on embarkation day. Each bottle of wine may be up to 750ml in size and should be brought on in your carry-on luggage. Do not put the wine in your checked luggage.

I ordered the wine from "Royal Gifts" so I setup as a gift to myself to be delivered to my room on the day I get on the ship. I ordered 3 bottles of the same wine - hope I like it.

• Like 1

FYI I CANCELLED MY WINE DELIVERY AND CAVED AND GOT THE DELUXE PACKAGE. I spoke to RCI on the phone and they can't guarantee the brand of bottled water so I'm keeping the bottled water delivery.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, resjes said:

FYI I CANCELLED MY WINE DELIVERY AND CAVED AND GOT THE DELUXE PACKAGE. I spoke to RCI on the phone and they can't guarantee the brand of bottled water so I'm keeping the bottled water delivery.

You are permitted to carry on 12 bottles per stateroom of water or soda. 

1 hour ago, resjes said:

Too heavy 😞

They have wood boxes of tea bags in every food venue on the ship, no need to bring tea bags.  Cancel your water package, you paid close to $50 just for that, use the beverage package for all the water you need, 3 cocktails or a few glass of wine a day and you are ahead.  A few glasses of wine with dinner and you are way ahead.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

Cancel your water package, you paid close to $50 just for that, use the beverage package for all the water you need 

i need the water package because RCI told me on the phone they can't guarantee where the water bottles come from 😞 at least with the package I'm guaranteed to have the water I want. (I am a water b**ch and have stomach issues)

Also, keep an eye on the price of the drink package on the cruise planner on the RCI website. It will go up and down in the weeks leading up to your cruise. We were able to book our beverage package for $42 per day, so we snagged it. I know you already ordered it at $46/day, but if price goes down, you can cancel and re-book at the cheaper price.

6 hours ago, resjes said:

Please don’t be bullied into buying a drinks package. you don’t have to buy a drinks package. We don’t as we don’t drink enough to justify the price. Tea, normal and flavoured, coffee and water are free 24/7 usually in the buffet. BTY you can drink the water from your bathroom tap. Ask your cabin steward to refill fill your ice bucket every day.

carry on luggage means any luggage you can carry. We usually use our 4 wheeled airline carry on case. It’s safer to carryon your wine/spirits in your carry on case. 

keep your luggage locked. If the TSA want to look inside them then they’ll have a special TSA key to unlock your case. Your checked in and carry on cases are all put through a scanner, just like the ones at airports. The checked cases will be scanned but not in front of you but your carry on ones will. 

6 hours ago, resjes said:

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that if you don't like the wine that is available included in the booze package, you'll have to pay the difference to upgrade every glass.  (If you're a snob about water, I imagine you're picky about your wine, too.) 

If you're not going to have at least four daiquiris every single day, you're spending money unnecessarily for the alcohol package.  (Versus the wine and water you had already purchased.)  A blender drink is around $12-$13, so you need to have four of them every day (including the days you're in port) to equal the cost of the booze package.  (Note -- if you want the daiquiri but don't care about the booze, you can get the Refreshment package instead and get all the non-booze daiquiris you want!)

As for wine being too heavy to carry on, you can buy some in the embarkation city and then roll it on board in a roller bag.  At least then you'd know it's something you'll like.  

As has been stated, you can keep your checked bag locked -- they won't search it without you being there to open it with them.  

Only you can decide if the booze package is right for you -- you know what you drink.  I am seven days away from being a Diamond, and I've NEVER gotten the booze package and never regretted it.  Other people would never cruise without it because they have a Bloody Mary or Mimosa with breakfast, some wine with lunch, beers or margaritas or whatever all afternoon by the pool, drinks before dinner, drinks with dinner, and drinks after dinner.  If you're only going to have a couple of drinks per day, the booze package doesn't make sense for you, unless it's cheaper than the wine you would otherwise purchase.