I know I'm overthinking, but need advice

Tntt

Our cruise leaves out of port Miami and we decided we are driving to the port, it will take about 12 hours and I am trying to organize this trip to be as fun as possible especially with 2 teens. I just have a few questions....

1. I thought about packing food & drinks to minimize spending tons of money at gas stations, would that be wise or it that too much?

2. I thought that we should leave at least 2 days prior to cruise so we can stopover and rest and not try to drive 12 hrs straight. Would that be a waste of money getting hotels?

3. So my spouse is licensed to carry guns and even though we know we cant take it on the ship, my spouse is in law enforcement and thinks we need to bring a gun to keep In  the car for safety reasons, but that means we would have to leave it in the car at the port for a week and risk someone breaking in our car and possibly stealing it, should we even bring it?

4. Packing ..... I think Im packing too much ..... Our cruise is in may is it extremely hot in the bahamas like it is in July or august? 

Edited by Tntt

1) I always pack road trip snacks! Just keep in mind anything you don't eat will be left in a hot car for the # of days you're on the ship. You'll need to toss, or take, anything that might "expire".

2) If your cruise is a Saturday embarkation, you're thinking of leaving on Thursday? I'd leave Friday. But if y'all have the time and $$ plan a fun route and see the US!!!!

3) Leave the weapon at home. I am also licensed to carry but am not law enforcement. The last thing anyone wants is the car broken into or stolen.

4) Pack 1/2 of what you think you'll need. In May the Bahamas should be in the 80s. I always bring a sweatshirt and a couple cardigans b/c sometimes evenings are chilly (and sometimes the A/C is cranking).

Edited by JennyB1977

If your spouse is in law enforcement, they should know what to do with their weapon.

As far as driving vs flying in, price it out and see what makes sense.  We enjoy driving and would probably stay one night overnight and would definitely pack some snacks and drinks.  Price out the whole trip driving including gas, money for meals, hotel room, parking car for cruise duration vs flying in, shuttle to port etc.  

Luggage is a personal choice.  I bring what I want and pay luggage fees if I am flying.  I do not subscribe to the carryon only club.  I over pack and I have no issue with it.

• Like 4

Packing some food is a great way to save money, but adds work to you.  It if the budget is tight bring the food.  If you are tight, loosen up and enjoy life.

We always try to arrive a couple of days early just in case there are troubles on the way

Is your spouse licensed in all the states you will travel through?   I also am licensed for my home state, and some states recognise  that license, but not all.  I think it is a bad idea to leave a weapon in your car.

Everyone bring too much luggage and not enough money.   We always travel with just carry on.

• Like 4

1. I would buy snacks before you leave just to save time on the road and all you have to do is stop for gas and bathroom and not take time finding what to snack on, teens can't take their sweet time deciding what to eat and waste road time :).  Any unopened snacks you can bring on the ship and others you might have to throw away if you don't think they will hold up in the car.

2.  I would just get up early and hit the road and pay for a hotel for the night before in Miami or outside Miami for cheaper rates.  You can also try Hotelstonight.com on last minute deals, they also have a app.

3.  I would leave the gun at home unless you have a lock box or something you can secure and hide in the car.  Im sure they patrol the parking garage to make sure people's cars stay safe.

4. As for this one I pack 1 outfit per day and it's not that much.  If you are on a 7 day you just need 2 formal wear for the dining room, other than that you can wear casual, they have gotten less strict over the years.  You can look up tips for packing on here or people do videos on youtube to show you tips.

44 minutes ago, Tntt said:

3. So my spouse is licensed to carry guns and even though we know we cant take it on the ship, my spouse is in law enforcement and thinks we need to bring a gun to keep In  the car for safety reasons, but that means we would have to leave it in the car at the port for a week and risk someone breaking in our car and possibly stealing it, should we even bring it? ...

I can't tell you if this is available in Miami, but I have read about leaving a firearm with the local police authority.

• Like 2

My advise should you choose to take it:

1. Bring snacks, but don't over-pack them. You don't want to have to throw them out so they don't stink in the car while you're cruisin' for a week.

2. A 12 hour drive shouldn't be too much, especially on the way to the cruise. Stop for an hour for lunch.

3. Leave the gun at home.

4. Don't use the car as an excuse to over-pack.

• Like 1

1.  How is feedback from strangers useful on this?  You have teenagers.  Tell them to bring snacks and drinks if they want. They're not toddlers, they can probably think for themselves.

2. You could leave the day prior and stop once.  Not sure what stopping twice accomplishes.  When you leave and how you drive there, much like snacks is pretty much a personal decision.

3. Literally THOUSANDS of people drive those roads every day without being armed.  But your spouse sounds like a lot of LEOs who think a little differently to put it nicely.  More importantly, if he is in law enforcement, he should know how to deal with his weapon and not need his spouse to get advice on a.... cruise forum....

4.  I'm sure you're overpacking.  Anyone who asked the first three questions is most definitely overpacking.  But so what....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Your spouse should be able to decide whether or not to bring his firearm. We are both retired from law enforcement and my spouse always takes his (except when flying), secures it in our car, and tries to park in a secure location. In Miami, I would recommend parking directly at the port. I also believe that hotels in the Ft Lauderdale area are a little cheaper and maybe nicer than Miami, and is only a short drive to the Port of Miami. For us, one night before the cruise is enough.

I usually over-pack too and it will be in the 80's most days. Your teens may possibly be in swim wear most of the time. I like to pack wrinkle-free clothes as well.

Try not to over-think it and just enjoy a great cruise!! Cheers!!

Also, if you'd like to connect with your fellow cruisers going on the Symphony in May the same week as you, click on the link below, find your specific week, and get to know them! They can help you with any other questions too! Enjoy!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/814-symphony-of-the-seas-roll-calls/

Edited by SilkySal
add

1.  Considering the price of a cruise, I wouldn't think the cost difference of gas station snacks would be that much. But I'd err on the side of wanting to not stop unless necessary I guess. 

2.  If you have two drivers I would think 12 hours straight through should be fine.  But I would still stay at least one night before boarding the cruise.  (personally I would choose flying over a 12 hour drive.) 

3.  That's a decision everybody has to make for themselves, but personally I would not want to leave my weapon in the car for a week.  

4.  It should be warm.  I would think the only reason anybody would want long pants/sleeves would be formal wear or dinner where shorts might not be appropriate. 

4 hours ago, Tntt said:

1. I thought about packing food & drinks to minimize spending tons of money at gas stations, would that be wise or it that too much?

2. I thought that we should leave at least 2 days prior to cruise so we can stopover and rest and not try to drive 12 hrs straight. Would that be a waste of money getting hotels? 

These 2 questions depend on how you feel about road trips. Are you the kind that wants to drive straight thru with minimal stops to get to your destination ASAP?  Or do you like to meander and linger along the way, taking the time to take in the sights (if any)?

Personally, I'd make a road trip out of it. I can't sit in a car for more than 2 hours at a time. Plus, I would like to stop to enjoy a local eatery that I might not otherwise visit. I'd still pack some basic snacks tho just in case you are driving in a deserted area. Deepening on you budget,  there should be plenty of affordable hotels along the way to rest so you don't arrive at the port already exhausted.

Just my 2 cents....

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I can't tell you if this is available in Miami, but I have read about leaving a firearm with the local police authority.

If the spouse is in Law enforcement. Call the local PD and see if they can allow you to leave your fire arm under lock and key there.

To all those that say just leave it home. Some circumstances require a law enforcement official to carry. All states have a different set of rules for law enforcement. It's not a normal concealed  carry 

6 hours ago, Tntt said:

Our cruise leaves out of port Miami and we decided we are driving to the port, it will take about 12 hours and I am trying to organize this trip to be as fun as possible especially with 2 teens. I just have a few questions....

we usually pack food and drink for our drive if it’s over 6 hours. 

our drive to Southampton cruise port from Glasgow takes approx 8 hours. To save on the stress we leave the day before and stay in a hotel overnight. IMO booking a hotel is not a waste of money and it saves on the stress.

3. So my spouse is licensed to carry guns and even though we know we cant take it on the ship, my spouse is in law enforcement and thinks we need to bring a gun to keep In  the car for safety reasons, but that means we would have to leave it in the car at the port for a week and risk someone breaking in our car and possibly stealing it, should we even bring it?

coming from Scotland I don’t see the need for owning a gun never mind taking it with you when you have kids in the car. 🤷🏻‍♀️

4. Packing ..... I think Im packing too much ..... Our cruise is in may is it extremely hot in the bahamas like it is in July or august? 

pack half of what you think you should pack. 

• Like 1

I just drove from Orlando to Miami on cruise day! It was 3.5 hours from Disney to the MIa airport where I was dropping off my car.

I would drive 9-10 hours on Friday, stop somewhere in Florida for the night and drive the rest on Saturday morning unless you wanted to actually visit somewhere for the day on Friday!! (You could them drive 5-7 hours Thursday night, crash somewhere, hang out Friday, and drive more Friday evening/night etc...). This is a very personal preference!

I always bring snacks when my family travels. I don’t bring meals - but I bring some waters/gatorades/Mountain Dew, goldfish, cheese-its, granola bars, nuts and pretzels...this way no one is starving or complaining about dinner before the driver is ready to stop for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better to have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it.   I take and leave my handgun in the car whenever I drive to my cruise.  Never been broken into.  There is always a slight risk however so it's better to lock it up in the trunk and/or in a lock box in the vehicle when leaving it.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tntt said:

If your husband doesn't know about needing a metal lock box that cables to the seat base, he should leave the gun home. And check the gun reciprocity laws in each state, if no agreement then you will need to have the gun unloaded and locked up and the bullets in a different area of the car...not with the gun, and neither the gun nor the ammo should be with in reach of the driver. Two metal lock boxes cabled to the front seat bases and resting on  the back floor area would work.  Also with 3 other people in the car, if it was my gun it would be on me 100% of the time. Belly bands are somewhat comfortable.

Florida has unique concealed gun carry regulations with regards to your personal conveyance, being your vehicle. Look it up. A lot of the info stated here isn’t applicable. Please find the wording yourself, but the rule is that the weapon has to be out of reach OR encased, but not necessarily locked. 

Editted to add...you don’t even need a conceal carry license in Florida to have a firearm in your own car.

I would definitely be bringing snacks because we road trip in my family and we know what we like. Meals end up centered around potty breaks and hunger, so I don’t try to do meals too often. Sometimes I pack sandwiches so that we can control lunch, but have a decent break for dinner.

12 hours is pretty long but I also wouldn’t want to drag it out. But I also wouldn’t want to begin vacation totally wiped out either. Your call there, but personally we find road trips conducive to great conversation in my family so I’m definitely on board for the road trip.

Edited by Anita Latte

21 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I still can't believe a supposed LEO has his spouse asking what to do with his gun on a cruise message board.  This is NOT an encouraging reflection of the caliber of some LEOs.....

The title is: I know I'm overthinking, but need advice.

The OP is overthinking it.  She only said he wants to bring it, not that he is questioning it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I still can't believe a supposed LEO has his spouse asking what to do with his gun on a cruise message board.  This is NOT an encouraging reflection of the caliber of some LEOs.....

I asked the question about my spouse carrying their firearm because I was seeking advice from this group because I thought this is what these boards are for....I never said my spouse  was asking....I was the one  seeking advice from other cruisers....how does my question reflect the caliber of some LEO's? My spouse is a great LEO and puts their their life on the line everyday for people, this is rather offensive to judge their caliber because I just wanted insight from other cruisers....

Edited by Tntt
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Tntt said:

I asked the question about my spouse carrying their firearm because I was seeking advice from this group because I thought this is what these boards are for....I never said my spouse  was asking....I was the one  seeking advice from other cruisers....how does my question reflect the caliber of some LEO's? My spouse is a great LEO and puts their their life on the line everyday for people, this is rather offensive to judge their caliber because I just wanted insight from other cruisers....

Welcome to CC btw...There are a lot of offensive posts here...but there's a lot of great information too and helpful people. 

• Like 2

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about carrying a gun, when you anticipate that your husband will want to. He should have access to information for each state that the drive will pass through, not only Florida.

What to bring in the way of food for the journey, and when or how long to drive, depend on your family, the number of potential drivers, the comfort of the car, etc.

Re: clothing, expect it to be hot, but also plan for the possibility of its being cool or rainy (and downright cold in some parts of the ship, not that I have experienced that myself). An unlined rain shell with a hood is a reasonable precaution, plus a sweater or similar if you tend to be cold indoors. Keep an eye on what the teens are packing. Some will want to bring way too much and others will have to be pressured to bring anything at all. I say this as an experienced youth leader who has seen some turn up for a camping trip with nothing but an iPad.

• Like 1