If you could move cabin 8252 (rear facing hump) to aft 7364 for Alaska - would you?

DebInAntigua

I've been reading so much advice here on CC about how an aft cabin is best for Alaska cruises, especially inside passage and glacier cruises. In 2020 we're doing sort of a B2B. One round trip out of Seattle, followed a couple of days later by a round trip out of Vancouver.

We generally book only midship cabins and have never booked aft before. I understand that because the Vancouver round trip route doesn't go out into the open ocean much, movement should be less on that cruise aft than say a Caribbean voyage. Sound like a good way to test out aft to see how well it works for us.

Currently have cabin #8252 hump balcony booked and am considering moving to #7364 SV.  Cost difference right now would be about $400 or so more for SV.

I checked on some of the higher decks for aft that aren't adjoining cabins, but they are concierge and seem to have more reports of soot and pool noise than decks 7 & 8, which are not concierge priced. Also... I figure for Alaska the closer you are to the water the better, as you can more easily spot wildlife, whales, etc.

Advice?

EDIT: This is for S-class, Eclipse

Edited by DebInAntigua
left out ship info

Agree about the rain issue, but we always have aft balconies... especially Alaska!  If the wind is blowing you could get wet on practically any balcony.  Have been in 7364 and it’s great... nice long walk to burn off those dessert calories.  Would not worry about connecting cabins in the aft.  They have doors to the hallway instead of on adjoining walls inside the cabin.  Never had much bothersome movement.

We did Alaska in a SV for us it was the only way to go.  180 degree views allowing you to see both sides, ship blocked the wind so while others had jackets  we were in long sleeve shirts.  We have done a number of cruises in aft cabin and only once experienced any soot & the steward wiped that away 

It's quite a walk between those aft cabins and the elevators, which are midship.  That would be my main hesitation. You'll walk half the length of the ship any time you go anywhere.  If you dine in the MDR, you walk half the ship to the middle and then walk back that same half to the dining room, as an example.  Heaven forbid you forget something in the room!  If you're mobile, it's mainly just an annoyance.  It can be taxing if you have mobility issues.  Not saying you do, but it should be a consideration.

I am in 8252 on Eclipse in Alaska in two weeks, May 9th. We tossed around the idea of doing an aft balcony as we had one on NCL Escape last year and loved it. But the location of 8252 is really great. Dead center of the ship. And since it is the first cabin on the rear of the hump it should be nice and sheltered from the wind and rain. We are so excited. I will do a review with pictures when I get back so you will be able to get a pretty good idea of what an Alaskan cruise is like in that specific cabin.

We had an aft wrap suite on our Alaska cruise a few years ago out of Vancouver.  It was with Holland America on the Zuiderdam.  We were on the way to Juneau scheduled to dock at noon if I remember correctly.  We sat on the balcony for a couple of hours in the morning watching a large pod of whales swim off into the distance (binoculars were needed after a while) it was an amazing sight.   If we were on the side we wouldn't have had the great view of them that we did for so long.

• 4 weeks later...

So as promised here are some pics from the balcony of 8252 on Eclipse. It only rained on our sea day. And we were in some decent seas that day as well. Maybe 15 feet? The balcony is very sheltered from the wind and rain. And the balcony itself is huge. It is located 20 feet from the elevators in the center of the ship. We were very happy with our choice. And didnt feel like we missed anything by not getting an aft. 

20190512_152410.thumb.jpg.04860f51961dfcc4a6b52d430dd143b0.jpg20190512_011821.thumb.jpg.7c7df6c082605f0d615cd174edd817f8.jpg20190510_200452.thumb.jpg.9bfb2a29d80616fe106cc4699d82f7b6.jpg20190509_180124.thumb.jpg.3f9844653c50fc64994ea349499de69f.jpg20190514_133717.thumb.jpg.489178a345395b54422b05ebece55ad0.jpg20190509_174047.thumb.jpg.db980cf10f72baad343443b68c7c07c1.jpg20190509_172612.thumb.jpg.61281b28b1cf005f04745e26997a5fd6.jpg

On 4/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, rick160158 said:

Balcony on Alaska ?? Rain... Wind...Cold...not the most pleasant, to really enjoy the balcony. Unless you have a wet suit, snorkel, and 2 ski jackets on.😂😂...Just kidding...Enjoy, should be good either way.

Hilarious!  We've been to Alaska 3 times at various times of the season and never had rain except for one day in Juneau.  You definitely never know what will happen... going again next May, so hopefully our luck will hold.