Help .Princess will not allow my walker on Accessibility Coach.

kruisey

They will only allow Wheelchairs.

My Walker has great breaks but will not allow on lift.

Cannot climb steps.

Suggestions for Taxis in San Diego,San Fran. and Seattle .

Have never used a mobility Wheelchair.

Thank you in advance.

ship leaves May 4th.

Only informed by Princess Friday so had to cancel all my accessability Princess Shore Excursions.

3 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I was on a Princess bus tour recently where one passenger had a small foldable electric scooter and she went on this tour(not an accessability tour, just a regular one), and an accessability tour won't allow a walker?

Pooh

I cannot climb steps on coach?

If you can't climb steps - I assume you expect the lift to lift you with the walker? I think the lifts are meant for wheel chairs and can secure them when they use the lift.

Just hire a private tour or call a taxi to get where you are going.

If you can't climb steps - I think you need to re-look at your future cruises if you are planning on using their tours. Most (all?) of these tours require buses.

Edited by Coral

On the lifts that buses use, there are tie downs for wheelchairs for safety; these do not work on walkers.

My recommendation is you rent a wheelchair for onboard your cruise and use it to do your excursions; you can use it like a walker by holding onto the push handles and walking with it and as a bonus, you'll have a seat for anytime you need to sit down. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have found that few if any lift equipped vehicles allow people who are standing, whether using a cane or a walker, to board using the lift. This is primarily a safety concern as the person who is standing rather than seated is going to need to bend over very deeply to avoid hitting their head. I also recommend that you rent a wheelchair expressly for boarding the coach. 

4 hours ago, meatloafsfan said:

On the lifts that buses use, there are tie downs for wheelchairs for safety; these do not work on walkers.

My recommendation is you rent a wheelchair for onboard your cruise and use it to do your excursions; you can use it like a walker by holding onto the push handles and walking with it and as a bonus, you'll have a seat for anytime you need to sit down. 

That's a great idea if they'll let you sit in it to get on the vehicle.  Here are a few cruise wheelchair rental agencies: 

Special Needs at Sea

ScootAround

Thank you for those that have shown kindness and given me suggestions.I have never experienced this type of disability before last August so I am a learner.

Yes, I have had approval from the Accessibility department they know my limitations and have accepted me to board their ships.

Those of you that have offered kindness has boosted my confidence and I am looking forward to my cruise. This one I have decided to stay on board relax and enjoy a new ship.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kruisey said:

Thank you for those that have shown kindness and given me suggestions.I have never experienced this type of disability before last August so I am a learner.

Yes, I have had approval from the Accessibility department they know my limitations and have accepted me to board their ships.

Those of you that have offered kindness has boosted my confidence and I am looking forward to my cruise. This one I have decided to stay on board relax and enjoy a new ship.

I am sure you will figure it all out.  I’m sorry some posts weren’t helpful.  Enjoy your cruise!

FYI, kruisey is cruising with me and another friend who is also unable to go up steps. It has nothing to do with being unfit to cruise. They can walk albeit slowly but are, for whatever reason, unable to take a step up. We’ll work it out onboard and at the very least, the two ladies can keep each other company. We’re going to have a very nice cruise. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RMM34667 said:

I purchased a walker/transport chair for my mom. (Google Drive Transport walker). It can quickly be changed from a walker to transport wheel chair.  Seat foot rests and all.

This specific walker will not be adequate for wheel chair lifts. It is handy otherwise.

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

That's a great idea if they'll let you sit in it to get on the vehicle.  Here are a few cruise wheelchair rental agencies: 

Special Needs at Sea

ScootAround

I probably would not advise learning how to use these on ships. I feel like I have been run over by people learning how to use scooters onboard who had never used one previously. They probably also need a handicapped cabin for the scooter. Also with wheelchairs -- one is using muscles they have not used before to roll the wheel chair. Some will catch on quickly and others may not and find it tiring.

Never having used wheelchairs or scooters I guess if I was on board with one the Medical Center would be kept busy from my run overs...or maybe a few 'Man Overboard' I will stay with my walker methinks this time being untrained.

19 hours ago, kruisey said:

Cannot climb steps.

Thank you in advance.

ship leaves May 4th.

Only informed by Princess Friday so had to cancel all my accessability Princess Shore Excursions.

the lifts can only be used (safely) by those in a SEATED position.  your walker does not meet that criteria.  why not just rent a wheelchair for the week?  

3 hours ago, kruisey said:

It would be my first attempt at a wheelchair and I doubt that would be very safe for me or others around.

A few other tips:

There are accessible washrooms; use them. They are much easier to maneuver with your walker;

Ask for assistance whenever you need it (i.e. help at the buffet, getting a drink, etc.) the crew are very kind and more than willing to assist you;

Get assistance boarding and debarking the ship;

Plan your routes around the ship so you have time to stop and rest and lots of places have 2 entrances - one that has steps and one that is accessible;

Pack your patience, sometimes things take a bit longer when you're awaiting assistance (hint: it's usually worth the wait).

Everyone needs help sometimes - be kind, be gracious, be patient and you'll get the same back.

16 hours ago, Casey12 said:

I probably would not advise learning how to use these on ships. I feel like I have been run over by people learning how to use scooters onboard who had never used one previously. They probably also need a handicapped cabin for the scooter. Also with wheelchairs -- one is using muscles they have not used before to roll the wheel chair. Some will catch on quickly and others may not and find it tiring.

They rent ALL kinds of assistance apparatus.  I was thinking Kruisey could use a regular wheelchair, not a motorized one.

5 hours ago, kruisey said:

It would be my first attempt at a wheelchair and I doubt that would be very safe for me or others around.

The suggestion is that you use it as a walker.  You can easily walk behind it, pushing it along and it would probably be easier than a walker.  I have a lot of experience with all kinds of walkers from my mom.  A push wheelchair really would've been a great help to her. 

You would only use it as a wheelchair for the getting on/off the special tour bus.  Again, I am talking about a push wheelchair that is manually powered, not an electric one.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, kruisey said:

Cannot climb steps.

Thank you in advance.

ship leaves May 4th.

I think you post was a little misleading - will not allow a walker on a accessibility coach.  They will allow it.  What you really said, is that busses that are designed to allow a person in a wheelchair on a lift, will not allow a person that is unstable on their feet, to stand up, on the lift, that does not have any safety harnesses to hold you.  I don't know of any place that would allow you to ride the lift standing up.  My wife has issues with bus stairs also, but with my help, she gets on. 

• Like 1