Seattle Pier 91 to Sea-Tac airport

DaveOKC

Ferry_Watcher - I read in one of your posts that if we use the Port Valet service we also need to purchase the ship's transfer service.  Is that required or can we opt for Uber or taxi with the Port Valet service?

40 minutes ago, 2pbears said:

Ferry_Watcher - I read in one of your posts that if we use the Port Valet service we also need to purchase the ship's transfer service.  Is that required or can we opt for Uber or taxi with the Port Valet service?

You can use whatever ground transportation works for you (Airport transfers, Uber, taxi, etc).  I was trying to explain that the free Luggage Port Valet service didn't include transportation to SeaTac.  The idea behind Port Valet is that folks who have later flights can explore Seattle without lugging around their suitcases.  It is such a great program for both passengers and the local economy.  Even if you can't stay and spend time in Seattle, having the luggage transported thru the commercial gate relieves congestion at the airport.  It is a win-win program!

16 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You can use whatever ground transportation works for you (Airport transfers, Uber, taxi, etc).  I was trying to explain that the free Luggage Port Valet service didn't include transportation to SeaTac.  The idea behind Port Valet is that folks who have later flights can explore Seattle without lugging around their suitcases.  It is such a great program for both passengers and the local economy.  Even if you can't stay and spend time in Seattle, having the luggage transported thru the commercial gate relieves congestion at the airport.  It is a win-win program!

OK Great.  Thanks for clarifying that for me.   One more question.  We arrive at Port 91 on a Monday morning (the only ship in port that day).   If our luggage is already taken care of with the Port Valet would we be better off to Uber to Westlake Center and take the train to SEATAC?   I am worried that Monday morning traffic might be difficult and we have a flight at 11:50.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

37 minutes ago, 2pbears said:

OK Great.  Thanks for clarifying that for me.   One more question.  We arrive at Port 91 on a Monday morning (the only ship in port that day).   If our luggage is already taken care of with the Port Valet would we be better off to Uber to Westlake Center and take the train to SEATAC?   I am worried that Monday morning traffic might be difficult and we have a flight at 11:50.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best to take Uber/Taxi directly to SeaTac.  Taking light rail would only make sense if you were already in DT Seattle doing touristy things.  SeaTac is south of DT Seattle, so you will be lighter traffic (as opposed to all the commuters heading north into the city).

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
typo

13 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Best to take Uber/Taxi directly to SeaTac.  Taking light rail would only make sense if you were already in DT Seattle doing touristy things.  SeaTac is south of DT Seattle, so you will be lighter traffic (as opposed to all the commuters heading north into the city).

Perfect.  Thanks for this info.

I keep going back and forth between booking Already There and just taking a taxi when we depart Pier 91 for Sea-Tac on Friday June 28.  Unfortunately, I don't think our flight will qualify for the Port Valet program as we are getting an 11am flight (well, I should say we will be attempting to make an 11am flight!  I am mentally preparing myself that we might miss it...).  With four people and probably 3 or 4 suitcases, I am afraid that we might not be able to get a taxi to fit all of us.  For those that have experience, is the general timing of catching a taxi in line versus meeting with private town car about the same?   Looking for the best chance I have of getting to the airport the fastest. Thanks in advance!  

7 minutes ago, Belle5129 said:

I keep going back and forth between booking Already There and just taking a taxi when we depart Pier 91 for Sea-Tac on Friday June 28.  Unfortunately, I don't think our flight will qualify for the Port Valet program as we are getting an 11am flight (well, I should say we will be attempting to make an 11am flight!  I am mentally preparing myself that we might miss it...).  With four people and probably 3 or 4 suitcases, I am afraid that we might not be able to get a taxi to fit all of us.  For those that have experience, is the general timing of catching a taxi in line versus meeting with private town car about the same?   Looking for the best chance I have of getting to the airport the fastest. Thanks in advance!  

I believe that you are correct that your 11 am flight is too early to take advantage of Port Valet.  Not sure if you are on the Solstice or the Ovation, but the first Ovation passengers were disembarking around 7 am, and the Solstice folks around 7:15 am. The most important thing that you need to do is to walk off the ship carrying your own bags as early as possible - I can not stress this enough.  SeaTac is super busy and you really need to be there two hours early to get through the security lines.    

The taxis tend to be Prius, and they will snugly accommodate four adults.  The taxis are lined up by 6:30 and there are 'taxi wranglers' who will load the taxis and keep peace among the drivers.  The Town Cars will wait in the 'internet/cell phone lot' for your call and will drive in to meet you.  There are overhead number signs 1-Handicap, 2-4 all others so you can let the driver know where you are standing.  You can also stand at the half wall barrier and look for your driver as he/she slowly enters into driveway area.

For peace of mind the Town Car may be the better option.

Thanks Ferry_Watcher, appreciate the advice! We are on the Solstice, so it is helpful to know an estimated time to disembark.  We will definitely be carrying our own bags...we have two teenage boys who will be put to work!

44 minutes ago, Belle5129 said:

The other day someone on the unmentionable site said they had an 11 AM flight and were able to use Port Valet. So it may be possible. Please let me know what you do because I am trying to decide between Already There, an Uber  or a taxi.

15 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I believe that you are correct that your 11 am flight is too early to take advantage of Port Valet.  Not sure if you are on the Solstice or the Ovation, but the first Ovation passengers were disembarking around 7 am, and the Solstice folks around 7:15 am. The most important thing that you need to do is to walk off the ship carrying your own bags as early as possible - I can not stress this enough.  SeaTac is super busy and you really need to be there two hours early to get through the security lines.    

The taxis tend to be Prius, and they will snugly accommodate four adults.  The taxis are lined up by 6:30 and there are 'taxi wranglers' who will load the taxis and keep peace among the drivers.  The Town Cars will wait in the 'internet/cell phone lot' for your call and will drive in to meet you.  There are overhead number signs 1-Handicap, 2-4 all others so you can let the driver know where you are standing.  You can also stand at the half wall barrier and look for your driver as he/she slowly enters into driveway area.

For peace of mind the Town Car may be the better option.

There are no taxis that can comfortably fit 4 people and possibly a lot of luggage?

59 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

There are no taxis that can comfortably fit 4 people and possibly a lot of luggage?

Yes there are larger cars / mini vans used as taxis.  The difficulty is that passengers are loaded into taxis as they arrive and you just don't know when a lager taxi will show up..  There are the eager taxi drivers that arrive at 6;30 am in hopes of making 3-4 round trips to SeaTac during the morning hours - these tend to be the Prius taxis (this is Seattle after all).  The taxis are kept in a single lane staging area near the Uber/Lyft pick up area, and are dispatched to the driveway area by walkie/talkie as the passengers leave in the early arriving taxis.  So you can wait for a larger taxi, and the taxi wranglers will just keep filling the Prius type taxis with folks in line behind you.  It is possible you could wait a few minutes, or a bit longer - and you don't know if there is a another group ahead of you waiting for a mini van type taxi.  A larger taxi will come, it is just a matter of when.  I wish I could be more exact for you, but I can't.  Sorry!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
more info

22 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Yes there are larger cars / mini vans used as taxis.  The difficulty is that passengers are loaded into taxis as they arrive and you just don't know when a lager taxi will show up..  There are the eager taxi drivers that arrive at 6;30 am in hopes of making 3-4 round trips to SeaTac during the morning hours - these tend to be the Prius taxis (this is Seattle after all).  The taxis are kept in a single lane staging area near the Uber/Lyft pick up area, and are dispatched to the driveway area by walkie/talkie as the passengers leave in the early arriving taxis.  So you can wait for a larger taxi, and the taxi wranglers will just keep filling the Prius type taxis with folks in line behind you.  It is possible you could wait a few minutes, or a bit longer - and you don't know if there is a another group ahead of you waiting for a mini van type taxi.  A larger taxi will come, it is just a matter of when.  I wish I could be more exact for you, but I can't.  Sorry!

Thanks, I appreciate all the information you shared! 

We used Seattle Shuttle for our ride from the  Marriott Waterfront to Pier 91 and from pier to the airport.  They were timely and professional.  The fee from the hotel was just $8pp and $24pp from the pier to the airport.  Phone number is 206.423.8388.  

We decided to take the light rail from the airport to the Westlake station and then get Uber to the hotel.  Unfortunately there was a mixup with Uber so we ended up just walking it.  Not the best thing to do with 3 pieces of heavy luggage.

Rental Cars?   I need one.  So are there any car rental agencies or car rental shuttles at the Pier/dock?   Worse case I suppose I can get an Uber to take me to a downtown agency somewhere. i don't want to go to SeaTac just to get a rental

Our flight doesn't leave until 10:30pm (redeye) so renting a car and exploring seems to be the best way to spend the day w/luggage aboard. 

In case this is helpful to anyone...we are going to go with Already There. I called and spoke with Charlotte - she was very helpful.  Quoted me $100+20% gratuity for Pier 91-SeaTac.  Since we have four people and luggage, she said we would have to go with an SUV which is more expensive (these kids of mine keep getting more and more expensive!!).  I will definitely enroll in the Port Valet if it is an option - and looks like it may be, thanks for the information, Zelker.  Thanks to everyone's help. I will report back after our trip to let you know if we made the flight!

Photo of Taxis at Pier 91 forty five minutes before the first passengers are expected off the ship.  The line fills the driveway pick-up lane, and then there is another filled lane of taxis waiting to enter the driveway.  You may also get an idea of the number of Prius taxis v larger car/mini van type of taxis.  Hope this helps.

IMG_20190614_062242.jpg

IMG_20190614_062249.jpg

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Photo of Taxis at Pier 91 forty five minutes before the first passengers are expected off the ship.  The line fills the driveway pick-up lane, and then there is another filled lane of taxis waiting to enter the driveway.  You may also get an idea of the number of Prius taxis v larger car/mini van type of taxis.  Hope this helps.

IMG_20190614_062242.jpg

IMG_20190614_062249.jpg

Are they letting Ride share drop off at / near the front doors?

On 6/10/2019 at 8:09 PM, zelker said:

For those asking about Port Valet and flight times, etc., I asked someone currently on Holland America to check on it ... here’s info and the form they were given, which to me doesn’t look specific to HAL cruises.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2668300-amsterdam/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-57662055

It  does mention Monday, it was noon for RCI on Friday on the 24th. They might want longer on Fridays as 7000+/- people get off two ships at the same time

As I stated, this photo was taken 45 minutes before passengers were to get off the Ovation and Solstice.  I wanted to show that there are taxis waiting for the first arrivals, with hopes of a quick drive to SeaTac and returning to bring a next fare from Pier 91.  There are only so many taxis, and the ambitious taxi drivers arrive early with hopes of 3-4 round trips during disembarkation mornings.  I also wanted to show that most of the taxis are Prius type vehicles, but there are some larger vehicles available.

I know that the first visit (May 24) of the Ovation at Pier 91 overwhelmed the ground transportation system.  But since then, there have been improvements, and there has not been a repeat.  The process is much smoother and streamlined.

As for the rideshare (Uber/Lyft) question about being able to drop off passengers close to the terminal building - the Ubers/Lyfts must pick up the morning disembarking passengers at the special designated parking area .04 mile from the terminal 91 building.  Once the disembarkation process is finished, ALL passengers arriving for embarking can/should be dropped off in the driveway area in-front of the Terminal 91 building.  Sometimes an Uber/Lyft driver is under the mistaken belief that they can't drive an embarking passenger to the driveway area and will drop them off .04 mile away.  It occasionally happens, but I don't think too often.

I could use some suggestions on an upcoming Ovation cruise in August.  We are a group of 6 with luggage (2 over 65, 2 in our 40's and 2 teenage boys).  I am looking for suggestions for transportation from Sea-Tac to Homewood Suites Seattle Downtown on a Thursday and then to the cruise port the next morning.  We have a noon flight out on the following Friday and would like transportation back to Sea-Tac early enough to catch the flight. 

So, my question is, what are the options for transportation that will fit all 6 of us and luggage?

Edited by Mallow

1 hour ago, Mallow said:

I could use some suggestions on an upcoming Ovation cruise in August.  We are a group of 6 with luggage (2 over 65, 2 in our 40's and 2 teenage boys).  I am looking for suggestions for transportation from Sea-Tac to Homewood Suites Seattle Downtown on a Thursday and then to the cruise port the next morning.  We have a noon flight out on the following Friday and would like transportation back to Sea-Tac early enough to catch the flight. 

So, my question is, what are the options for transportation that will fit all 6 of us and luggage?

A town car/limo or Shuttle Express. Take advantage of the port valet luggage program on your return, works great  https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free