Have 3 days after disembark in Quebec City, need ideas

Sailor Taylor

I will have 3 nights after disembark in QC before I have to fly back.  Montreal has a well timed direct flight and QC only a poorly timed indirect flight.  

Trying to decide if I should spend all 3 nights in QC or split and spend one or two nights in Montreal?  Never been to either for any meaningful amount of time. 

Any opinions? 

And do hotels in QC normally let travelers put luggage for half a day if they arrive before check in? 

Edited by Sailor Taylor

4 hours ago, Sailor Taylor said:

I will have 3 nights after disembark in QC before I have to fly back.  Montreal has a well timed direct flight and QC only a poorly timed indirect flight.  

Trying to decide if I should spend all 3 nights in QC or split and spend one or two nights in Montreal?  Never been to either for any meaningful amount of time. 

Any opinions? 

And do hotels in QC normally let travelers put luggage for half a day if they arrive before check in? 

We are staying in Auberge Place D’Armes post cruise.  Our flight home leaves Quebec at 5:45 p.m.  They told me they have a specific room designated just for luggage.  We can drop it that morning we disembark, go play and see things before check in time. When we leave, same thing just leave luggage in the morning and go play before we have to leave for the airport.  No additional charges for this service.

• Thanks 1

Both Montreal and Quebec are wonderful places-- Quebec is more touristy (not necessarily in a bad way) and Montreal is much more cosmopolitan with one of the hottest dining scenes out there right now. Both are well worth your time but 3 days is tough to divide. 

Given that you arrive Quebec presumably early in the morning you could disembark, drop your luggage at your hotel (any major hotel will let you do this prior to check in) and see the city for the day. For the most part you can see a lot of Quebec in a day without diving too deep. Chateau Frontenac is my personal favorite hotel (if you're going to look at it all day you might as well sleep there) but there are many nice ones in town. Le Continental is a wonderful throwback place for dinner we go to sometimes right next to the Chateau. 

You could then get on an early morning train the next day to Montreal (3 hours door to door) and spend the remainder of the day and the next there. Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, Le St James, and the newly refurbished Ritz-Carlton (an original Ritz-- not originally part of todays chain) are great options. For dinner Joe Beef and Au Pied du Cochon are fantastic. For lunch go to Schwartz's Deli one day for smoked meat. 

• Thanks 1

I would probably stay in Quebec city and have been to both several times. Spend a day exploring  upper and lower town, rent a car and drive over to Ile Dr Orleans which is delightful, great little villages, good food, very scenic. Visit Ste Anne Dr Beaupre and Montmorency Falls. Check city website to see if anything special is going on while you are there. Enough to keep you occupied for several days

Train ride roundtrip is going to take part of 2 days, allowing little time to fully appreciate either city.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Train ride roundtrip is going to take part of 2 days, allowing little time to fully appreciate either city.

Was only suggesting taking the train one way and flying out of Montreal as the OP said the flights from Montreal were direct and more convenient than Quebec City. 

• Thanks 1

You cannot go wrong however you split your time, but I think Quebec City and the rural areas north of there are more different to the rest of the eastern US to make it more interesting. There is plenty to do in two or three days in Quebec plus you can indeed rent a car and see the Ile D'orleans or even better go into the Charlevoix area. Check out Baie St. Paul.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all!  

I thinking I will look for airbnbs with parking.  If I stay one night in Montreal I just found a decent rate for a one way car rental, picking up in downtown QC and returning in YUL.   But then maybe the train is better?  Is the highway more scenic or the railroad?  

1 hour ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Thank you all!  

I thinking I will look for airbnbs with parking.  If I stay one night in Montreal I just found a decent rate for a one way car rental, picking up in downtown QC and returning in YUL.   But then maybe the train is better?  Is the highway more scenic or the railroad?  

Whether you go south of the river (Autoroute 20) or north (Autoroute 40) the highway is not scenic. In fact it is boring.  Highway 138 (Chemin du Roy) is a historic route along the north shore through many interesting towns and villages, but you really don't have time for that.  What's more, driving in Montréal is a pain especially during construction season.  I would definitely take the train and use taxis and the Métro in Montréal.

As to how much time, it depends on your preferences. You could spend two nights in Québec with one day in the city and one day in the countryside (e.g. Montmorency Falls and the Île d'Orléans.  Charlevoix is beautiful but is a bit further away and I would save it for another time if you haven't already seen the Île d'Orléans area.  You could also opt for one night in Québec and two in Montréal which has more than enough attractions to fill your time there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, laverendrye said:

Whether you go south of the river (Autoroute 20) or north (Autoroute 40) the highway is not scenic. In fact it is boring.  Highway 138 (Chemin du Roy) is a historic route along the north shore through many interesting towns and villages, but you really don't have time for that.  What's more, driving in Montréal is a pain especially during construction season.  I would definitely take the train and use taxis and the Métro in Montréal.

As to how much time, it depends on your preferences. You could spend two nights in Québec with one day in the city and one day in the countryside (e.g. Montmorency Falls and the Île d'Orléans.  Charlevoix is beautiful but is a bit further away and I would save it for another time if you haven't already seen the Île d'Orléans area.  You could also opt for one night in Québec and two in Montréal which has more than enough attractions to fill your time there.

Thanks!  I am thinking you are right the train Is better.  Always wanted to try VIA.  

Is the National park Jacques Cartier worth a visit too?  We are very used to long road trips and don't mind driving.  

If you have a car, Canyon Sainte Anne in Beaupre was fabulous and is only a 40 minute drive from Quebec City!  This beautiful canyon has a walking trail to the base with several suspension bridges over the cascades, a waterfall and, at least when we were there, rainbows were everywhere! (I think there is a zip-line too, but that is just not our thing).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All right I have decided to stay 4 nights after disembarking and that made the decision easier - we will do 2 nights in QC and 2 nights in Montreal.  

Please critique my rough itinerary:

Day one: Disembark and store my luggage at the upper old Quebec hotel and go explore QC. Check in.

Day 2: pick up the rental car from downtown and visit Montmorency Falls, the Île d'Orléans, Charlevoix and maybe Canyon Saint Anne.  Return the car after hour.  

Day 3:  Check out and take the 8.15 am train to Montreal.  Again store the luggage in our hotel in downtown and go explore Mont Loyal and downtown Montreal.  Check in.  

Day 4: Old Montreal and if we have time Botanic garden. We will walk and use the metro. 

Day 5: Check out and go straight to the airport.  Fly back. 😣 

A couple of questions: 

In QC, where exactly do Holland America ships dock?  Will help with our hotel decision between Logis Logis or hotel la Chateau de Pierre, (we are not picky about amenities but are picky about location). 

In Montreal if we get the 3 day Metro pass can we use it for 747 to go to the airport?  

Any recommendations for restaurants in QC and Montreal? Either French or any ethnic.  Except not American. 😁

Edited by Sailor Taylor

You cannot use the 3-day pass for bus 747.  You will need the 747 ticket.  10 CAD.  You might want to consider a 2-day pass and a 747 pass, as the 747 is also valid for 24 hours for the same services as a 2-day pass.

Be super careful with the 747.  There is a LOT of construction work around Montréal, and the 747 has become crowded.  The issue is that after a few stops, the baggage racks are full and only standing passengers are allowed in.

I work downtown, just a block from a 747 stop, and had the brilliant idea to bring my stuff to work before heading off on a cruise.  I remember having to wait for 3-4 buses before being allowed on with luggage.

The solution is to take the 747 from it's departure station, at Berri-UQAM metro station.

But again, plan for it because of construction and détours.  From Berri-UQAM, plan 75-90 minutes to get to the airport.  I've suffered a 2 hour ride on one occasion (that was a Friday, with an accident on the highway).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zephyr173 said:

You cannot use the 3-day pass for bus 747.  You will need the 747 ticket.  10 CAD.  You might want to consider a 2-day pass and a 747 pass, as the 747 is also valid for 24 hours for the same services as a 2-day pass.

Be super careful with the 747.  There is a LOT of construction work around Montréal, and the 747 has become crowded.  The issue is that after a few stops, the baggage racks are full and only standing passengers are allowed in.

I work downtown, just a block from a 747 stop, and had the brilliant idea to bring my stuff to work before heading off on a cruise.  I remember having to wait for 3-4 buses before being allowed on with luggage.

The solution is to take the 747 from it's departure station, at Berri-UQAM metro station.

But again, plan for it because of construction and détours.  From Berri-UQAM, plan 75-90 minutes to get to the airport.  I've suffered a 2 hour ride on one occasion (that was a Friday, with an accident on the highway).

Thanks!!!

I just checked this link it says a 3 day pass is valid on 747 but it also mentions an Opus card that has some restrictions.  🤔confusing for sure!

http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/transit-fares/3-days

Right now we are booked into Auberge Le jardin d'Antoine which is within easy walking distance to Berri-UQAM.  The flight is at 4:30pm and my plan is we will have a leisurely breakfast and check out by 12 noon.  Hopefully it will be enough.  If I want to make it super safe we can easily check out by 11am.  

Btw how frequent in your experience are the 747 busses?  

Edited by Sailor Taylor

Gee ST.  I just reviewed your link and you appear to be spot-on right.  I apologize for the inaccuracy.  The fare schedules in Montréal and the adjoining cities and towns mounts up to 700+ types of fares, and they vary periodically.

Based on the link you indicate, your choice appears to be the right one.

Your check-out plan seems reasonable.

You can find the complete schedule for all STM buses on the website (stm.info) including 747.  The departure schedule from Berri-UQAM towards YUL is reliable.  Since you plan on leaving around noon, being outside rush hour and during the week, the rest of the schedule is reasonably accurate.  Rush hour on weekdays is unpredictable; weekends are nightmarish since 2017 through 2022 due to major roadwork.

• Thanks 1

Really my pleasure for suggestions.

I'm in Montréal, and worked in Québec for a couple of years and travel there regularly for work; it's only 2.5 hours from home.  Obviously, I'm not a Montréal hotel expert, but for Québec that's different.

The Big Dig was a beauty.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I grew up in Quebec City so I cannot tell you much abut hotels.  I haven't really stayed in any there.  I can tell you that the Chateau Frontenac is the famous landmark on the cliff above which you will clearly see from the ship.  If you want to stay in an old hotel with a history, its the one, but there are many to choose from.  Downtown Quebec is easy to walk around if you have good mobility.  It can be a bit hilly in places.  The airport is about 30 minutes outside the city (or at least it was when I was growing up.  traffic patterns may be different now)

I am not an expert on Montreal but I believe it is worth seeing.  There's a great view from the top of Mont Royal and the city itself is very vibrant and historic.  I would do a split.  visit if I were you.  Flights leave QC to montreal several times a day.. can you do a 1.5 days in QC and 1.5 in Montreal?

• Thanks 1

My crew of five family members debarks QC on Sep. 27, 2020.  Is it possible to rent a vehicle large enough of all 5 plus luggage to drive from QC to Plattsburgh NY for one night then on to Albany airport for our flights home?  It is a ways out time wise but the rental agencies have not been helpful in my planning.  Any advice given sure would be appreciated.  Thanks

On 5/14/2019 at 5:46 AM, Jim40 said:

Do the ghost tour in Quebec City .

Ooh! This is a suggestion I hadn't seen hefore!  I will do some research now!  Thanks! 

On 5/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, jamacka said:

I grew up in Quebec City so I cannot tell you much abut hotels.  I haven't really stayed in any there.  I can tell you that the Chateau Frontenac is the famous landmark on the cliff above which you will clearly see from the ship.  If you want to stay in an old hotel with a history, its the one, but there are many to choose from.  Downtown Quebec is easy to walk around if you have good mobility.  It can be a bit hilly in places.  The airport is about 30 minutes outside the city (or at least it was when I was growing up.  traffic patterns may be different now)

I am not an expert on Montreal but I believe it is worth seeing.  There's a great view from the top of Mont Royal and the city itself is very vibrant and historic.  I would do a split.  visit if I were you.  Flights leave QC to montreal several times a day.. can you do a 1.5 days in QC and 1.5 in Montreal?

i have decided to extend my stay to 2 days in QC and 2 days in Montreal for a total of 4 days and will take the Via train early morning of day 3.  

I see there are many different ghost tours in Quebec.  Is it better to do it in QC or Montreal?  

Edited by Sailor Taylor