Hurtigruten Direct Booking or Travel Agent Booking

Homerody

Hello fellow cruisers,

So As a dig deeper into planning my first Hurtigruten Coastal Norway sailing, I started to think about the direct booking vs. travel agent booking.

I read with interest the thread "Better Rates Paying in NOK".  As an independent traveler, I usually direct book many things - but I am not averse to using a Travel Agent when it makes financial or logistical sense.

So, what do most of you do?  Direct book?

Thanks for any input and feed back.

Edited by Homerody
typos

8 hours ago, Homerody said:

I read with interest the thread "Better Rates Paying in NOK".

This is not a discussion about use of TA but the fact that price for the same Hurtigruten voyage in general is much more expensive at US, UK and AU Hurtigruten web that the Norwegian web - I have checked the variances and found up to 30% variance for the same product - Norwegian web was always lowest price.

But you might also find packages including airfare and excursions as well as discounted packages. My suggestion is that you compare the prices for similar products at the various web’s - problem is that Hurtigruten might use geo-blocking if you access their web from outside Europe (geo-blocking banned in EU).

try if you can access Hurtigruten.no - web in Norwegian but you can either use google translate or have Hurtigruten.com open at the same time to assist with navigation.

I’m alway using the Norwegian web when booking but as said you might find good offers from a TA or at other Hurtigruten web. 

Hallasm,

Thanks for the tips.

True enough about the other thread.  I cited it  because I realize that using ".no" site may make moot using  TA for pricing advantage.  I should have been clearer in my post.

As a point of interest - I'd like to hear if others have used TA's.

Where are you located? I have always booked all my trip directly from Hurtigruten, but I'm in France and we have a local Hurtigruten office. So most of my trips have been booked either in person or over the phone with a person.

Lately I'm travelling more using port-to-port (not full trips) and I book more often on the Norwegian website (because it's cheaper, and because it's actually the only website where you can book port-to-port online).

For my first trip I booked the whole package from Hurtigruten (including flights from France and a stay in Lofoten Islands at the end of the trip) and realized that it's much cheaper to buy everything on my own, so I now buy only the ship's journey with Hurtigruten.

From talking with various people, it seems that dealing directly with Hurtigruten make it easier when things go wrong (disruption in the ship's schedule because of weather issues, for instance), but that is only through hearsay. If you go with a travel agent I would pick one that has a good knowledge of what Hurtigruten is, and I think it's worth it only if you actually need the TA to take care of the whole trip for you (flights, hotel and so on).

SarniaLo,

I am US based.

I prefer and really enjoy doing my own research, planning and direct purchasing of all aspects of my independent (and preferred) travel arrangements.

On occasion, when I use a TA for some $$$ savings (usually for cruises)  - I do all the planning and say to TA please sell me xyz and then I go away.  I've never had to interact with them again (except for final payment).

But I'm thinking with Hurtigruten, it'll be a direct transaction.

3 hours ago, Homerody said:

SarniaLo,

I am US based.

I prefer and really enjoy doing my own research, planning and direct purchasing of all aspects of my independent (and preferred) travel arrangements.

On occasion, when I use a TA for some $$$ savings (usually for cruises)  - I do all the planning and say to TA please sell me xyz and then I go away.  I've never had to interact with them again (except for final payment).

But I'm thinking with Hurtigruten, it'll be a direct transaction.

I'd encourage booking directly with Hurtigruten, they really are a helpful lot. Even if we usually book our own flights and hotels etc. we chose this time to buy the HR package complete with flights and transfers. As the weather IS unpredictable in March they will help you with re-bookings, extra hotel stays etc. if the ship doesn't arrive on time ( which frequently happened this March and I heard about passengers being ferried to Bergen from Trondheim at HR's cost or them re-booking flights etc. If there is enough time for you to stay a day or two extra in either Bergen or Oslo it might be worth it to look for flights etc. on your own which most of the time is decidedly cheaper. I also don't know if Hurtigruten offers flights across the big pond!