Bringing wine onboard

XSYTD

Hi,

we have cruised with Celebrity and HAL and have always been allowed to bring our own wine on-board to enjoy on the balcony.

how does this work for NCL? Are we allowed to bring any wine or other beverages such as soft drinks in our luggage to consume during our cruise?

From the NCL website here: https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

"Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older)."

You can't bring soft drinks but you can bring wine.  In October I brought 9 bottles of wine with me and they just charged a corkage fee of $15 per bottle but they may cut you a break if you have a bunch like I did. 

Edited by fun173

7 hours ago, fun173 said:

From the NCL website here: https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

"Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older)."

You can't bring soft drinks but you can bring wine.  In October I brought 9 bottles of wine with me and they just charged a corkage fee of $15 per bottle but they may cut you a break if you have a bunch like I did. 

Thank you fun173!! Do you suggest that we put the wine in our checked luggage or keep it with us to present at embarkation? I would prefer to have the luggage delivered to our cabin and not have to pick it up from security. Many thanks!!

champers.gif

We brought 8 bottles with us (no UBP perk) and used a backpack cooler.  It fit the 8 bottles perfectly.  We just paid the $15US corkage at the desk just past the xray machine. She added a little sticker to each bottle with our cabin number.  We took a bottle to dinner every night.

• Thanks 1

We brought a case on the Breakaway two years ago, we carried it on.  There is a little table as you go through security were you can check the wine in (i.e. have them write down how many bottles you are bringing so you can get charged the right amount 😉)  They checked the bottles, put stickers on them and our room was charged $15 per bottle on the credit card we have them at check-in.  It took a few days for the charge to show up.  My husband carried the case on the ship, if we had known we could keep the wine with us we would have brought a trolley or packed it in a backpack, the box got heavy after a while! 🙂  Every morning we would put the white wine that we wanted to drink in the mini fridge and it was ready to go by the time we wanted to drink it!  Our room steward was able to give us a wine opener that we kept in the room for the week.  Enjoy!

Edited by Redsky5292
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HappyGlampers said:

Thank you fun173!! Do you suggest that we put the wine in our checked luggage or keep it with us to present at embarkation? I would prefer to have the luggage delivered to our cabin and not have to pick it up from security. Many thanks!!

champers.gif

I always just carry it on with me as it removes the hassle of having to go and get your bags.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

We brought a case on the Breakaway two years ago, we carried it on.  There is a little table as you go through security were you can check the wine in (i.e. have them write down how many bottles you are bringing so you can get charged the right amount 😉)  They checked the bottles, put stickers on them and our room was charged $15 per bottle on the credit card we have them at check-in.  It took a few days for the charge to show up.  My husband carried the case on the ship, if we had known we could keep the wine with us we would have brought a trolley or packed it in a backpack, the box got heavy after a while! 🙂  Every morning we would put the white wine that we wanted to drink in the mini fridge and it was ready to go by the time we wanted to drink it!  Our room steward was able to give us a wine opener that we kept in the room for the week.  Enjoy!

I also bring my own wine (I don't bother with the UBP).  I have a hard sided cooler on wheels from Coleman that I use to bring my wine aboard:  on the last day, when the cooler is empty and I have put my luggage out the night before, it very readily handles all of my toiletries and clothes for day of disembarkation!  I also have the steward empty the refrigerator of the ship's stuff (which I never buy) so that I can store my wine. (Of course I tip the steward for their efforts!)

• Thanks 1

No one has mentioned this, but you can bring your bottle into any dining room or bar and drink it there.  IF you fail to finish a bottle you can have it stored for you and will receive a chit, you can then get the remainder of the bottle at any bar or restaurant to consume .

• Thanks 1