How did the Sail Away rate work out for you?

Fartlek

We initially got a family balcony, port side 7 cabins from the back of the ship (Escape) on deck 9. Subsequently I paid an extra $400 to buy a GTY mini-suite which gave us no perks, similar to a Sailaway Balcony.  We were assigned a family mini-suite, starboard deck 9 midship. I felt it was worth it for the slightly larger balcony and definitely larger shower. Some family mini-suites have tub/shower combos, but I'm not sure whether ours has one or not. If ours does, it'll be a plus as my wife really enjoys taking a bath.

We initially got a family balcony, port side 7 cabins from the back of the ship (Escape) on deck 9. Subsequently I paid an extra $400 to buy a GTY mini-suite which gave us no perks, similar to a Sailaway Balcony.  We were assigned a family mini-suite, starboard deck 9 midship. I felt it was worth it for the slightly larger balcony and definitely larger shower. Some family mini-suites have tub/shower combos, but I'm not sure whether ours has one or not. If ours does, it'll be a plus as my wife really enjoys taking a bath.

I'll throw my two cents in. Booked a Balcony Guaranty on the Tuesday before the ship sailed Sunday. I'm just Bronze, made Silver on this 5 day trip. Got my cabin assignment the next day, it was a BA on Deck 10. No complaints. I've done this a total of three times on NCL and been happy every time. DON'T get me started on Carnival, who has given me cabin assignments I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy's dog. I no longer travel the (not very) Fun Ships.

Edited by Writerfl

I just booked my first NCL cruise, Sept 23, 2021, 11 night round trip Rome to Greece, the Adriatic, and Italy, on the Getaway. My TA (1st time using a TA as well) is holding a great mid-ship cabin for us. My question is, if I go with Sailaway, what are obstructed cabins like on the Getaway. I've done partially obstructed views on the Celebrity Silhouette and the Regal Princess; both times we only had a lifeboat underneath our balcony.

Another question, not related to this-does the drink packing that comes with the free perks include mocktails?

Kimlovessfl,

there are no obstructed balconies on getaway.  If you do a sailaway you will not get a cabin assignment i.e. You don't choose your cabin nor do you get the two free perks so no beverage package either.

now if you do not do sailaway and go with a regular balcony cabin you get two free perks, the beverage package is one, but you still pay 19.80 a day gratuities per person, and yes mocktails are included in beverage package enjoy your cruise 

Thanks. I've done guarantee cabins on Princess and Celebrity before, and always got good cabins. I've also purposely chosen partially obstructed cabins because I saved money. Gratuities are higher in ncl than on Princess or Celebrity. 

On 4/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, happy cruzer said:

So what are the options if you do a SailAway rate and get a cabin assigned that you do not care for?  On other lines when you get a guarantee, they will let you go back in the pool for another assignment sometimes they will offer an alternate cabin, or price out other cabins to change to.  Does NCL ever do any of those?  Thanks.

Your assignment is FIXED and no changes.   Guarantee-  is NCL's assignment-  which is final. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, Arzeena said:

Yes you do.

1 point per night.

Also, 1 extra point if it is a Latitudes Insider sailing.

1 extra point for sailing in a full suite.

Previously it was 1 extra point if booked 6 months before sailing. Now they have done away with that. If there is a single supplement promo(?) you will get that too.

NOT with Sail Away rate.    https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/latitudes-extra-point-obc?hide_hf=true    

And the previous double point offer was for 9 months ahead booking.   Ended 2-17

21 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Your assignment is FIXED and no changes.   Guarantee-  is NCL's assignment-  which is final. 

Good to know.  The same language is used for other lines' guarantee and yet they have allowed the options I mentioned previously:  go back in the pool for another cabin, trade for another cabin in same category or negotiated pricing for another cabin.  Something to consider when booking a Sailaway Cabin.

Love love the large " quotation marks before and after FREE PERKS ! 😁

We got a perfect mid-ship balcony cabin with cabin decks above and below us for our sail-away .

On 4/24/2019 at 8:49 PM, Budget Queen said:

Myth.   There isn't going to be any "preferential"  assignments.   You are only going to get what is open.    There are also multiple thousands of higher level latitudes,  so hardly exclusive with assignments.    You'll get what's available.     

Yep .

On 4/28/2019 at 10:32 AM, Budget Queen said:

Really ? I thought you still had the option to upgrade as long as the new cabin is more by any amount . 

I had a balcony guarantee on one cruise that was assigned as a Spa Balcony and I thought "awesome". Then I researched it and the cabin had horrible reviews (ping pong tables overhead, angled mini-suite balcony next door that was all up in your business). Since I'm not a Spa kinda guy I called NCL to find out what my options were and was able to "upgrade" to a normal balcony in a more favorable location for about $100, BUT when I did that it became a regular reservation and I got the "Pick Three Free" applicable at the time, giving me back about $300 in freebies. Win-win.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from our TA cruise on the Pearl with a sailaway balcony.  The cruise had some issues, for sure, but our cabin was great.  We got a slightly upgraded--I think a 'family' --balcony on deck 9 forward--actually about the last designated forward cabin, so closer to mid-ship, right by the forward stairs.  The cabin was fine, lots of storage, a very nice bathroom, good bed.  We like cabins by the stairs for convenience and almost always book them if we are choosing our cabin.

For us this rate was great as we rarely drink or need the other so-called free amenities; adding these on would have cost over $400 pp, which we never would have made back.  

The cruise was rather rocky, but movement in our cabin was not that bad.  

--

On 4/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, Cruiser_Girl1 said:

Hi LTC,

We are not sailing until October, but I booked sail away and they said you could use your Lattitude points.

Could you take a walk up to 9702 which is right in the front of the ship and let me know what the motion of the boat feels like there.  If you could let me know I would appreciate it.

which ship? We were in 9712 on the Getaway and could feel movement, especially on days when the ship was in a hurry.

Mom was in 8003 on Jade, and it was pretty rough.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 4/29/2019 at 8:36 AM, happy cruzer said:

Good to know.  The same language is used for other lines' guarantee and yet they have allowed the options I mentioned previously:  go back in the pool for another cabin, trade for another cabin in same category or negotiated pricing for another cabin.  Something to consider when booking a Sailaway Cabin.

it depends on the agent you get. The first time (on Jade) they moved us from an inside under the Arcade to an OV in the back, deck 5, for free.

We always do sail away (we're currently Platinum) and always have great luck...on the Joy, we were Deck 10 mid-ish port side. Close to the elevators but not right at the entry to the hallway. 

On the Bliss, we got a bump out balcony on 12 so we had a huge balcony! 

We're not huge drinkers and could care less about the beverage package, internet (we go on vacation to get away from work emails) or specialty dining (we get 2 dinners and a bottle of wine free every time anyway). 

On 4/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, cruiserssandr said:

We booked the Escape for February 8 with a balcony sail away rate. This is the first time we have done a sail away rate. When does the room actually get assigned? Is it just before the cruise? Does Latitudes status have any bearing on which cabin you get?

Our cabin was assigned within two days after payment made in full.

• 4 weeks later...

Booked a sail away mini suite on the Joy to Alaska 1month ago.  We were assigned 10216.  Saved a huge amount of money.  We are platinum so got 2 free dinners.  We bought the four bottles wine package.  Just got back today.  Great cabin with cabins over and under us.  Near the front elevators but not right at them.  The amount we saved paid for the rest of the travel, flights and hotel.  We will book sail away again.

• Like 1

We booked a sailaway and got an

OCEANVIEW STATEROOM 9702, CATEGORY OA.
It is a bigger cabin and is right in the front of the ship with a good view starboard.  I am a little bit worried about the motion in the front and I just found out that The District Brewhouse is under us.  Not sure if it goes all the way to the front.  We won't find out until October.

We did save a lot of money that we can use elsewhere so we will take some earplugs and lots of sea sickness medicine just in case.

Even though we haven't cruised yet I think we would chance it again.

Has anyone stayed in this cabin as I would still have time to upgrade?  This booking is on the Joy.

Edited by Cruiser_Girl1

I booked a Sailaway balcony rate for the Bliss in April and was assigned deck 14 near the forward stairs (under a small part of the Observation Lounge and virtually no noise from above). The Bliss cabin assignment was within 24 hours of booking.  Booked Sailaway on the Sky for May while on the Bliss and given my cabin number right then...mid ship cabin on Deck 8. Was very pleased with both locations.  Solo traveler, now Platinum.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:41 PM, Joeghartman said:

This is the first time I’ve booked a sail away room. We did an inside room on the Bliss in Alaska for August. I’m figuring we will get what we paid for, considering Alaska is a popular destination during peak time, 

Update... upgraded to a balcony sail away for $360 more since the prices have fallen. We just got assigned our cabin on the 10th deck , great location.  Our friends paid for a balcony when booking and picked their balcony coincidentally on the same deck and side as us.  I feel like we saved a few bucks and it all worked out for us.

We are on Joy 6/15 sailing. Called 45 days to our TA for balcony sail away rate as it was 400. pp cheaper. She called back to let me know they are lowering the rate and balcony gty would only be 100. more pp. It was worth the 200. as we also got the 50. OBC so now 150. more with perks. Going with In-laws family , who booked one year in advance with only 2 perks, and chose their cabins.   By coincidence, we are BA 3 doors down from BIL/SIL. We know it was a coincidence because we never told anyone and they booked through NCL. Not going to say if it is a good or bad coincidence. 😉

Can anyone tell me if you book a inside sail away on the Sun what drinks are not included without booking a regular inside with picking the premium beverage choice. I drink Barcardi and my husband drinks Jack Daniels and I like the tropical drinks by the pool.   

On 6/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, dheat789 said:

Can anyone tell me if you book a inside sail away on the Sun what drinks are not included without booking a regular inside with picking the premium beverage choice. I drink Barcardi and my husband drinks Jack Daniels and I like the tropical drinks by the pool.   

Sail Away rates include no perks, so no alcohol is included. You would need to pay for drinks as you go, or purchase an unlimited beverage package.