Earliest Check in?

Hi All,

We are fortunate enough to be going on our 3rd RC cruise on the 26/10/19, we're are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale on Adventure of the seas. On our last two we have had transfers etc pre booked by the travel agent so have just arrived when we were told to. This time though we are flying in a few days earlier and having a few nights in Miami first and are just going to get Ubers to the cruise terminal.

I know you are given a time to check in but have read that you can get on board much earlier than the advised time. How early though? Wouldn’t want to turn up and end up sat about in the terminal.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, mcoler181 said:

How early though?

Welcome to CC.

About 11. FYI, check in (the time you were asked to arrive) and boarding are two different things and timing.

Edited by Biker19

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

About 11. FYI, check in (the time you were asked to arrive) and boarding are two different things and timing.

OK, I am new.  What does that mean that check in and boarding are two different things?  Don't I check in and then board?  Just want to make sure I am not lost! 🙂

10 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

OK, I am new.  What does that mean that check in and boarding are two different things?  Don't I check in and then board?  Just want to make sure I am not lost! 🙂

Quite often you can arrive at the pier and check in but the ship has not been cleared for boarding yet. So if you arrive early you'll be able to check in but won't be able to board. If you arrive after boarding has already started, you'll be able to board right after checking in.

13 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

You can check-in before the ship is ready to board.  In that case, they have some chairs you can use to wait until boarding starts,

10AM is generally the early check in time. I've boarded as early as 10:20 and usually closer to 10:45-11.

So just get to the port at 10am. If you get to check in then relax in the terminal for 30 minutes, big deal. We always arrive at 10.

There are random times that US Coast Guard does random inspections. I was just notified that is the case for next weeks cruise.  They don't want anyone there before noon as there is not enough seating... 

32 minutes ago, DeepC said:

There are random times that US Coast Guard does random inspections. I was just notified that is the case for next weeks cruise.  They don't want anyone there before noon as there is not enough seating... 

thanks for sharing that. We are boarding the Adventure on Saturday. We got that email, but just thought that was routine. 

19 minutes ago, batchbunch55 said:

thanks for sharing that. We are boarding the Adventure on Saturday. We got that email, but just thought that was routine. 

Its common but not "routine" a couple inspections per year are "scheduled" but some are random and do cut into schedules some... I run a sport fishing boat and once in a while we get inspected offshore with passengers aboard even. 

8 hours ago, BNBR said:

10AM is generally the early check in time. I've boarded as early as 10:20 and usually closer to 10:45-11.

So just get to the port at 10am. If you get to check in then relax in the terminal for 30 minutes, big deal. We always arrive at 10.

Last 5 times I arrived at Port Everglades/Ft Lauderdale Terminal doors didnt even open until 1020-1035. These times were on Non-Oasis class. So OP don't get there too early or will be standing outside locked doors

Edited by ONECRUISER

10 hours ago, CatBelle said:

Do you know what time does the bus pick you up when you book Fly and Sail program? I don't remember from other cruises

It depends but they will either hand you a note telling you the time when greeting you at the airport or it will be at the hotel when you check in.  I have found it normally between 11 and 12.

I personally find the morning embarkation wait in the crowded ports to be uncomfortable and anxiety-inducing. Boarding can sometimes feel like being herded like cattle. And isn't fun. Would rather wait in the comfort of a hotel than in a port's waiting area.

As a result, I've gotten into the habit of staying at the pre-cruise hotel (or the airport if flying in the same day) till around 11 am. An 11 am check in is (usually) quick, painless and results in a minimal wait to board, if there's one at all. And if I have heavy carry-ons, I'll sometimes time my arrival to the port at 1 pm so I can check in, board and be able to go straight to the stateroom.