Embarkation question QM2 NY

anglobibliophile

In checking my Voyage Personaliser, I see that my embarkation time is set at 3:45 pm; we're on Deck 13. Can that be right, or can I expect it to change? I've read often on CC that 3:45 is the last time to check in, and I thought I had also read that typically higher decks board earlier (after diamond and platinum members and Grills passengers). I know someone has to board last...I just didn't think it'd be us. 😀

Just curious--it's 30 days until we sail and I'm considering every detail in earnest. 😜

Back in September 2017 we had a 2pm scheduled time, and allowed for driving delays heading to Brooklyn. As a result, we got to the terminal at about 11:30.

What we *should* have done was to drop off our luggage, and get lunch outside the gate. Instead, we waited in the terminal lobby until 1PM when security started admitting passengers to screening. Inside the terminal, the Grills and other priority passengers were directed past the vast hordes to one or two checkin stations on the far left.

Sometimes arriving early gets you on board early, other times there are delays before the first passenger is even admitted to the terminal. With a 3:45 check in time, I would plan on dropping off baggage about 1 - and seeing what the wait looks like [is the security line backed up out the door?] before deciding check in vs lunch.

• Thanks 1

As others have said-- 1pm is generally the number with QM2 in Brooklyn. Even though it says 3:45 they wont turn you away if you check in earlier-- just not too early before 1. We've sailed QM2 4 times out of Brooklyn and have never been turned away arriving after 1pm. We did get there at noon once and had to wait a bit. 

• Thanks 1

If you're boarding after a transatlantic crossing, embarcation can be delayed due to immigration backups for passengers disembarking ahead of you. 

There is much less chance of a delay after a closed-loop cruise since most or all disrmbarking passengers either boarded in New York or were admitted on the prior crossing.