Cruise Critic Community
mickeyfanz

Livorno transport to drop off in Lucca and pick up in Pisa

I am looking for a way to book a transport for 9 people (yes, 8 would be better for a minibus but we have 9) from Livorno cruise port to Lucca. We could just be dropped off there in Lucca. We plan to spend a good part of a day there and then we could just take a public bus to Pisa. The we would want to be picked up in Pisa and taken back to the cruise terminal in Livorno.

Anyone done such a thing?

The all-day tours seem too expensive since we really just need transportation. The train would be fine except it seems like a pain getting from the cruise terminal to the train station - a lot of wasted time.

I am also considering renting two cars or a minibus but I have been to Pisa before and I know it is a pain in the car and you can easily land somewhere that you can't drive through or park. Trying to make this easy...

Thanks for any advice!

If you are on NCL they have a shuttle to the train station and you could travel to Lucca by train, time to wander around the walls catch a train back to Pisa and get off the last stop but one which is by the Tower, explore a bit and then walk back to the main station to go to Livorno and pick up the shuttle. It is a doable day.  

If if you cannot get a shuttle to the station maybe you can get a couple of taxis.  I am sure they would also consider taking you all the way to Lucca - according to Rome to Rio it would be about 30 mins and cost around 100 euro - divided between four seems a bargain.  I am not sure if you could get a taxi for five though.  Once you are at Lucca public trains back would be easy enough.

That is a tough request :).  You would need to get a driver with a large mini-bus and want him/her twice in one day.  You would probably have a better shot if you simply hired a mini-bus for the day...although that is going to be expensive.    But I do have another suggestion if you have somebody in your party willing to drive a 9 passenger mini-bus.   Sifracar (Sifracar.com) who is a very reputable local rental car agency (they used to be the Hertz franchisee) does show that they rent a 9 passenger mini-bus (they apparently have an Opel and a Renault in their inventory).  Since those vehicles only hold 9 one of your party would have to be the driver.   Sifracar has always (in the past) had access to the port and would deliver vehicles right to the pier.

Hank