Live from Reflection Transatlantic to Dublin 20th April to 6th May 2019

Eloise4Ever

1 hour ago, Eloise4Ever said:

They will definitely need to stock up on Aperol as we are making serious inroads on their stock 😁. Apart from an Aperol Spritz which you can get at most bars (although how it's made depends on the bartender. I wish they would just stick to the recipe that's printed on the back of every Aperol bottle), I highly recommend the Last Voyage at the Ensemble Lounge and the Sangria Spritz at the Sunset Bar. Just be sure to give the latter a good stir.

On the subject of drinks, Celebrity are now using paper straws. That's great to see but they do tend to wilt after a while 😗. Note to self: Must drink more quickly!

Thanks!  I'm good with the paper straws, that's what we use at home :)

Eloise4Ever, So happy you understood my posting. I don't know if you can tell, but you have 34 people following your thread. Putting that into perspective, to my knowledge there are 3 different Live reports going on right now. There's one for a TransPacific crossing and yours plus one more for a TransAtlantic. Those other threads are being written by  long-time posters and one who is a long, long time poster: respectively, there are 45 and 99 people following those other threads! So, you have a respectable number of people following along with you, as a first time Live thread poster. 

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to chat with my friend. She's quite friendly and such a nice person. If you catch her eye around the ship, give her a shout out!

• Thanks 1

I’ve only discovered your interesting thread today and I’ve loved it so far, and I’m neither a drinker nor particularly sociable when on a cruise - maybe there’s a connection 😉.  I’ll be happy to read your review when you’re home so thanks from me.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Member123 said:

Eloise4Ever, So happy you understood my posting. I don't know if you can tell, but you have 34 people following your thread. Putting that into perspective, to my knowledge there are 3 different Live reports going on right now. There's one for a TransPacific crossing and yours plus one more for a TransAtlantic. Those other threads are being written by  long-time posters and one who is a long, long time poster: respectively, there are 45 and 99 people following those other threads! So, you have a respectable number of people following along with you, as a first time Live thread poster. 

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to chat with my friend. She's quite friendly and such a nice person. If you catch her eye around the ship, give her a shout out!

Once again, you are so kind. I know Jim_Iain is doing one if his wonderful live threads at the moment. I always enjoy those immensely and he posts lots of great photos. That's why I thought it wise to say at the outset that my thread would not be like that.

I'm not sure if I would recognise your friend as I only saw her very briefly as she was leaving. Please tell her to say hello if she recognises me around the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

Being able to sail in and out of Dublin is heavenly. We also sailed Dublin to Norway and back again last May. The cruise itself was spectacular and being able to park at Dublin port was the icing on the cake. Wishing you a fabulous cruise 😀.

Thank you, very excited!

Eloise4Ever - I have enjoyed your review greatly - your writing style and sense of humor sets you apart from other reviewers. That being said, I do understand that posting pictures using less than ideal internet access can be a challenge. I'll look forward to your complete review once you're home.

Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to drop in with short random postings when something catches my attention. Unfortunately this is a Meh moment. But it's personal to us and perhaps other Irish folks. On our way into the buffet for a late afternoon scone, I noticed the TV screen outside advertising a "British Pub Lunch" of fish and chips in the coming days. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that, however the lunch is on while the ship is in Cork. In the Republic of Ireland. Where some of the best seafood in the world is available. Why not serve that particular lunch in Liverpool? Which is in England. I don't have any issues with the UK or people from the UK but I do feel this is rather insensitive on Celebrities part. 

Last year I spoke to the Cruise Director Eddy Jenkins about a related issue. You know when you're at a show in the theatre and the performer might ask who in the audience is from the USA/Canada/the UK etc? They never ask if anyone is from Ireland and that's perfectly understandable as usually there are only a handful of us onboard. However I do think it would be nice to ask that question on cruises TO Ireland. I hope I don't come across as someone with a chip on her shoulder. I just feel Celebrity should be more culturally aware.

Edited by Eloise4Ever
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, Eloise4Ever said:

I'm going to drop in with short random postings when something catches my attention. Unfortunately this is a Meh moment. But it's personal to us and perhaps other Irish folks. On our way into the buffet for a late afternoon scone, I noticed the TV screen outside advertising a "British Pub Lunch" of fish and chips in the coming days. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that, however the lunch is on while the ship is in Cork. In the Republic of Ireland. Where some of the best seafood in the world is available. Why not serve that particular lunch in Liverpool? Which is in England. I don't have any issues with the UK or people from the UK but I do feel this is rather insensitive on Celebrities part. 

Last year I spoke to the Cruise Director Eddy Jenkins about a related issue. You know when you're at a show in the theatre and the performer might ask who in the audience is from the USA/Canada/the UK etc? They never ask if anyone is from Ireland and that's perfectly understandable as usually there are only a handful of us onboard. However I do think it would be nice to ask that question on cruises TO Ireland. I hope I don't come across as someone with a chip on her shoulder. I just feel Celebrity should be more culturally aware.

I gave up figuring Celebrity’s rationale on scheduling events years ago...and wouldn’t most of the passengers be off exploring Dublin and it’s surrounding area?

I have been following along and enjoying your posts. Have not done a trans atlantic or pacific (yet); but Will be going to Ireland May 2020  :)   Will be on Reflection doing the Ireland and British Isles cruise, then a week in Ireland exploring all the beauty your home has to offer! Thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eloise4Ever said:

Understand, but I think you should cut Celebrity a bit of slack on the 'British Pub lunch' at least, as the Republic of Ireland is part of the geographic area known as the 'British Isles' and I'm pretty sure the Irish eat fish and chips too (as opposed to French fries) 😉.  You'll just have to shout out your Irish credentials when they are doing the 'where is everyone from ...?' bit - I'm sure you'd get a cheer.  I personally find the whole thing tedious and never respond.  I'm far more interested when they read out a list of the numbers of passengers from the various countries and for that matter, the different nationalities of the crew.

22 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Understand, but I think you should cut Celebrity a bit of slack on the 'British Pub lunch' at least, as the Republic of Ireland is part of the geographic area known as the 'British Isles' and I'm pretty sure the Irish eat fish and chips too (as opposed to French fries) 😉.  You'll just have to shout out your Irish credentials when they are doing the 'where is everyone from ...?' 

Sorry Mrs G, the term “British Isles” is not used or recognised in the Republic of Ireland 😗  . This extract from Wikipedia describes the reasons for this quite well:

From the Irish perspective, some consider "The British Isles" as a political term rather than a geographical name for the archipelago. The term "British" had also never applied to Ireland until at least the late 16th century[33] and onwards. This period coincided with the Tudor conquest of Ireland, the subsequent Cromwellian activities in Ireland, the Williamite accession in Britain and the Williamite War in Ireland—all of which resulted in severe impact on the Irish people, landowners and native aristocracy. From that perspective, the term "British Isles" is not a neutral geographical term but an unavoidably political one. Use of the name "British Isles" is often rejected in the Republic of Ireland, because some claim its use implies a primacy of British identity over all the islands outside the United Kingdom, including the Irish state,[34] the Crown dependencies of the Isle of Man and Channel Islands that was historically dominating and is currently inaccurate, since Ireland is neither Britain nor British.[35][36][37][38]

I did once shout out “Ireland” and the person onstage waved me aside imperiously and said “yeah, Ireland, that’s in the UK”. I was so upset/angry I never did it again. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

Ouch! I totally get where you are coming from with this 😳 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just discovered this thread, and have enjoyed reading everything you've written so far.  Will look forward to reading the rest of it when you're back home and able to complete it.  I'll be on the June 3 to 14 sailing, and am so excited to finally be seeing a little bit of Ireland (and Iceland too).    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your instalments. 😜 I wish you’d just throw random short ones out there for us to drool over until you get home. One short one a day isn’t too much to ask for! Everyone who agrees, put your hand up! 🙋🏻‍♀️ 

As for the Irish/British Isles bit.. I agree. I’m in Canada and the majority of my heritage is from the Emerald Isle and I have never heard it being referred to as part of the British Isles.. not even remotely close. But obviously somebody at Celebrity is not so well informed. Use your comment card and perhaps next years transatlantic will include some delicious Irish fare. Looking forward to reading you soon Lady Eloise! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, how do you refer in simple terms to the entire group of islands that are in that close geographic proximity? "Great Britain and Ireland"? 

That is not a reference to the islands, though, just the countries (and omits the several names making up GB). Is there an acceptable name that encompasses all those islands?

• Thanks 1

I have been following along and would not have posted anything but I realized that you actually explained the whole issue of a U.S. based cruise line not knowing the difference between Ireland and the U.K. in your first post. The woman who looked down at Miami Beach and told her companion that it was Tampa is probably more typical of our American sense of geography than we would like to admit.

As an American, I know that there is a lot of US and world geography (and political history) that I never learned or remembered learning. But I am quite comfortable in knowing that I am not among the least knowledgeable and that when traveling I will have taken the time to actually know where I am and where I am going. From experience I know that there will always be Americans around me who are quite clueless.

On another note I laughed when you described your husband having more than one breakfast. My DH does enjoy checking out the Ocean View multiple times on a sea day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rotoal said:

As an American, I know that there is a lot of US and world geography (and political history) that I never learned or remembered learning. But I am quite comfortable in knowing that I am not among the least knowledgeable and that when traveling I will have taken the time to actually know where I am and where I am going. From experience I know that there will always be Americans around me who are quite clueless.

Please don't get me wrong, I would never claim to be a Geography expert. I would just like the Cruise Line I spend thousands of dollars with every year to be a little more sensitive to the culture of the countries they use as home ports at the very least 😚.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mayleeman said:

So, how do you refer in simple terms to the entire group of islands that are in that close geographic proximity? "Great Britain and Ireland"? 

That is not a reference to the islands, though, just the countries (and omits the several names making up GB). Is there an acceptable name that encompasses all those islands?

You are spot on, Britain and Ireland is a perfectly suitable term. The United Kingdom and Ireland is another.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I was booked on your cruise but had to cancel last month.  I've rebooked for next April but meanwhile, I'm cruising vicariously with you.  🛳️

You are also somewhat onboard with us as CadburysMom has told us all about you 😀. What a shame you couldn't join us.

20 hours ago, barbiedoll68 said:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your instalments. 😜 I wish you’d just throw random short ones out there for us to drool over until you get home. One short one a day isn’t too much to ask for! Everyone who agrees, put your hand up! 🙋🏻‍♀️ 

LOL Barbiedoll, I'll see what I can do for you 😍.