Comments on our Cartagena plan

FlaMariner

For our port call to Cartagena this fall, I'm thinking this port would be good to do on our own.

I think (?) the historic sites are within walking distance of the port and we can walk and tour and find wine and tapas for this day.

Am I thinking right?

9 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

For our port call to Cartagena this fall, I'm thinking this port would be good to do on our own.

I think (?) the historic sites are within walking distance of the port and we can walk and tour and find wine and tapas for this day.

Am I thinking right?

CARTAGENA is one of the easiest Mediterranean ports to DIY as the town is compact/easy to get around with some good examples of Modernista architecture.  The Roman Amphitheatre and Museum is right at the start of the main street opposite the Town Hall at the Plaza de Ayuntamiento and shouldn't be missed - and it would be a sin not to call into the Valor Chocolate Shop virtually next door where you will be tempted with all things chocolaty (hand made chocolates, hot chocolate drinks, ice cream, cakes and pastries etc).  

The Santa Florentina is a good indoor market and the town has a good range of shops (especially for shoe lovers as shoemaking is a local industry). 

The castle (Castillo de la Concepcion) is a fascinating place to wander around - best way to access this and see some amazing views of your ship and across the bay is via the panoramic scenic elevator.  If you like nautical history you will enjoy the Naval Museum.  A good way to get your bearings, and learn some of the towns history, is by taking a ride on the trolley train that cost 9 Euro per person last time we docked at Cartagena (October last year). 

Definitely look at tomsportguides mentioned above.

Excellent map, diy walk and info for this lovely small town. It is a more relaxing day if you have had busy cities before Catagena or have busy cities after this stop.