To Seville or not?

FlaMariner

For our port call at Cadiz, I'm thinking our best bet will be to take the r/t bus to Seville and then tour on our own.

Seville seems compact and easy to tour the historic sites and the cruise ship r/t bus will keep us from worrying about missing the boat.  

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Cadiz has so much to offer if you decide to spend your day there instead. 

The old city is only a 5 minutes walk from the port; it is a fascinating maze of narrow streets/shops with a gold domed beautiful Cathedral and good inside/outside market. You will find some of the best tapas bars anywhere plus lovely beaches. 

A HOHO bus runs from the port gates but isn't very interesting as it mainly just goes back and forth along the same stretch of beach; it cannot enter the old city as the streets are too narrow.

We arranged a private small group day trip from Cadiz with Spain Day Tours, recruiting some from our CC roll call and others who had contacted SDT separately - putting us all together on on 40+ person coach but then we were spilt up into groups of no more than 10 assigned our own "official" city tour guide once at Seville. SDT is top notch. Have great " on bus" hosts who tell you about the towns/countryside you pass through and some of the scenic Wolds Fair sites as you enter Seville - made the 1.5 hour ride each way pass quickly.We were glad to see Seville and had plenty of time to see Plaza D'Espana, Santa Cruz neighborhood, Alcazar and town. We skipped cathedral to have time to roam near river and each lunch in Triano neighborhood. SDT well organized and got us back with plenty of time to our ship. It was really hard to pass up Cadiz sites, our bus ride in at least cruised along the beachfront before landing. Hopefully next time we are there!  

PS we had great weather in late  September and it was hot in Seville - be prepared.  

8 hours ago, grnrab said:

We arranged a private small group day trip from Cadiz with Spain Day Tours, recruiting some from our CC roll call and others who had contacted SDT separately - putting us all together on on 40+ person coach but then we were spilt up into groups of no more than 10 assigned our own "official" city tour guide once at Seville. SDT is top notch. Have great " on bus" hosts who tell you about the towns/countryside you pass through and some of the scenic Wolds Fair sites as you enter Seville - made the 1.5 hour ride each way pass quickly.We were glad to see Seville and had plenty of time to see Plaza D'Espana, Santa Cruz neighborhood, Alcazar and town. We skipped cathedral to have time to roam near river and each lunch in Triano neighborhood. SDT well organized and got us back with plenty of time to our ship. It was really hard to pass up Cadiz sites, our bus ride in at least cruised along the beachfront before landing. Hopefully next time we are there!  

PS we had great weather in late  September and it was hot in Seville - be prepared.  

Did the SDT tour go inside the Alcazar and an opportunity to go inside the Cathedral?  Where either or both guided tours?  I am comparing the SDT offering to "Wonders of Seville" from ShoreExcursionsGroup which promises 60-80 minutes inside both the Real Alcazar and the Cathedral.

Hi J

the SDT tour was inclusive of the "city guide-led" tour of the inside of the Alcazar, world fair sites, incl plaza d'espana and some of the santa cruz neighborhood.  I'm guessing we were inside alcazar over 1.5 hours. When we were done with the Alcazar we had free time during which one could go inside the Cathedral ( pay separate fee) or go up the bell tower (fee also) . We opted for something else. The standard fee was 69E pp Plus in 2018 the 12.5E pp entry fee for timed entry,skip the line to the Alcazar. Reminder with SDT if you are "first in group"  to contact them for small group tour you are offered at least 1 fee waiver for gathering 11-14 people and 15+ two fee waivers. As organizer I used the roll call - it took awhile as you may know some roll calls are not very active till close to the trip time. Worked out great for me - I got a fee waiver cause I recruited 10 and the rest who contacted them independently were lumped into my tour. As I said they promise no more than 8-10 per city guide even if you are all travelling in one motor coach. They supply headsets too!

• Thanks 1

Good info!

Good to hear more positives about Spanish Day Tours.   We've already booked them for our Malaga stop where we are spending all day with them on the Alhambra/Granada tour.

From what I'm reading, I think we can do what we want on our own in Seville if we can easily get there and get back without boat leaving stress. A bus with a tour guide there and back would work but we might just sign up for the Spanish Day Tour trip to Seville.