How far would you drive

Surrealistic

10 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

If Newark, NJ to Houston, TX in less than 24 hours I’m eager to hear details and ask why?

I'll guess they flew and didn't like it.  I've done 2 cruises out of Galveston by flying non stop from NY area airports and it is a stretch from Houston to the port.  Don't know how they arranged their transfer, but I used Carnival's shuttle bus both times.  

Life is a risk. No matter how well you plan, things can always happen. Although, the better you plan for it, the better off you will be. I'd rather accept that and do my best rather than take to the internet to complain that a company "doesn't care about me."

I love to stay near the port for a night (or more). That is part of the vacation!  My last cruise out of NOLA, we enjoyed 2 nights at the port, and had a blast before the cruise even started. I don't even care for the drive to Canaveral from Orlando (45 minutes). I probably wouldn't go further than 2-4 hours on the day of the cruise. That could also depend on the area. Certain areas have more congestion than others.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I'll guess they flew and didn't like it.  I've done 2 cruises out of Galveston by flying non stop from NY area airports and it is a stretch from Houston to the port.  Don't know how they arranged their transfer, but I used Carnival's shuttle bus both times.  

You are probably right, I’m sure they did fly but since the topic was how far you’d drive it would be an interesting road trip  story for sure.

• Haha 1

The only time we drove the day of was to Charleston for our Ecstasy cruise in 2017 and that was because the port was only about 2 hours away from our house. We left home at about 9am, stopped right out side Charleston for breakfast and a stop at Walgreens to get the sunscreen we forgot to get and made it to the port with time to spare.

Now for anything further away, like our upcoming cruise from PC (in 2 days!!!), we will drive down the day before and stay the night. Like others have said, it's for that piece of mind, not having to feel like we are rushing to get there and it adds to the vacation.

Edited by schazzy

We always have to fly to port as we live in Canada.  We always fly out the day prior to the cruise and I think we would likely do the same if we were able to drive to the port.  Yes, there is the extra cost of a night at a hotel, but i would rather be safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I should open a business for CC members only from Houston Airports to the ports. I could make some good money.

19 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

When I was in college I left at 11pm to get from Atlanta to the port of Miami the day of the cruise. Wouldn't recommend.

You go to GT? I did some crazy things myself, usually involving skirt chasing.

With no stops that drive is 10 hours. I mean, why not lol.

20 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We are in North Ga.  We sail out of Port Canaveral.  We're going to drive to St Augustine to hook up with some friends and spend the night.  We're going to drive to the port the next day.  It's a bout a two hour drive. We usually arrive a day before sailing.  I've got to tell you, I'm really nervous.  We'll probably leave around 6 in the morning to to give ourselves enough time.  

My wife and I have done this from Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale. St Augustine is a great place to spend the night. :)

We drove from Amarillo, TX to Jacksonville.

Part of that was to stop and see family the night before, which was about 6 hours from Jacksonville. Unfortunately, my sister forgot to factor in time change and the bathroom needs of 4 women in one car, and we cut it way too close for comfort.

Have always been there the day before since then!

I always get within an hour of the port the day before. I probably wouldn't be able to sleep the night before if I had to make a 5 hour drive on embarkation day. Then think about how tired you may be that night. You probably lose a day of the cruise being tired.

• Like 2

In NJ, I go to Baltimore, NY or Cape Liberty same day. Day before for Charleston, Jacksonville Or Port Canaveral. Haven't gone farther south yet. Worst traffic was Saturday night on Thanksgiving weekend going to Jacksonville. Traffic was intermittant until S. Carolina, bumper to bumper 3/4 of the state.

For me it would depend on the port. We live in Central FL. Tampa's only about 2 hours away, but the road REGULARLY backs up and there are no good alternates; I would stay over there. Canaveral's 1.5 hr and we'll gladly drive that the morning of - among other things, we're familiar with the alternate routes if there's an accident on 95. So, the availability and knowledge of different ways to get there would play a huge role in weighing the risk for me. I don't know I'd ever do more than 3 hours though and 4 is really pushing it. One missed alarm clock plus any traffic and you miss your boat.

10 hours ago, Surrealistic said:

Thanks for all the input.  Did make a hotel reservation which we'll probably be glad about on the day of the cruise.   We have driven that far in the past, but now I'm older (and maybe wiser).  😉

Smart move, all the extra miles/time on the day of the cruise kicks you in the butt on embarkation day when you do that.  If you can do traveling the day before is always best case scenario.  I have heard and seen many horror stories.

Edited by jimbo5544

On 4/24/2019 at 10:00 PM, soonernstlouis said:

If Newark, NJ to Houston, TX in less than 24 hours I’m eager to hear details and ask why?

Didn't pay attention that it was about driving. If driving, I would only go to NYC, Baltimore, or Boston. And I would still go down day before and get a hotel that included parking during the cruise.

Karen

Yes, we plan to do so, from houston to NOLA.  We plan to leave around 5am, with plans to be there before noon, so yes we add a buffer.  Not my preference. We usually cruise out of Galveston, considerably closer.  We have even stayed the night before in Galveston to avoid any delays . 

13 hours ago, jennyp0208 said:

For me it would depend on the port. We live in Central FL. Tampa's only about 2 hours away, but the road REGULARLY backs up and there are no good alternates; I would stay over there. Canaveral's 1.5 hr and we'll gladly drive that the morning of - among other things, we're familiar with the alternate routes if there's an accident on 95. So, the availability and knowledge of different ways to get there would play a huge role in weighing the risk for me. I don't know I'd ever do more than 3 hours though and 4 is really pushing it. One missed alarm clock plus any traffic and you miss your boat.

yeah, I-4 to Tampa is a mess.  We live in Orlando and I think we got on the Miracle out of Tampa about the same time we got on Conquest out of Fort Lauderdale - both times driving down day of cruise.  We'll be driving to port of Miami next February but I'm seriously thinking about going down a day early this time.  I've been in Miami traffic before but not to cruise so not sure how bad it will be on a Saturday in that area.  It's pretty bad the rest of the time everywhere else though...

18 hours ago, Quilcruisers said:

Yes, we plan to do so, from houston to NOLA.  We plan to leave around 5am, with plans to be there before noon, so yes we add a buffer.  Not my preference. We usually cruise out of Galveston, considerably closer.  We have even stayed the night before in Galveston to avoid any delays . 

I don’t know when you were last in Baton Rouge, or when your trip is, but traffic has been an even bigger nightmare lately.  There’s construction on I-10 at Washington St. near LSU, a complete cluster you know what at I-10 and Hwy. 1 as you cross the new bridge from Port Allen, the usual work traffic during the week, school traffic until the end of the month, and more construction on 10 East going into Ascension Parish from past Highland Road.  And next month you’ll have the college graduations too. And we’ve had severe weather with flash floods, high winds and tornado watches/warnings two Thursdays in a row.  

All that is to say you may want to give yourself a little extra buffer just in case.  Leaving at 5 you’ll miss the morning rush, but there’s been some bad accidents that have caused serious back ups lately.  Should you get stuck in some nonsense, hopefully you know how to navigate River Road or Livingston parish to get around it.