Vanilla in Costa Maya?

DeepC

I know we can get vanilla in Cozumel in most any grocery store but I "heard" Costa Maya may have better? Like a couple bottles of extract and would love to find vanilla beans whole if possible. Any suggestions or input? 

I would avoid the shops in the port unless you can't find vanilla in the local mercados in Mahahual.

There's a large store near the upper end of the malecon around Rubio.  You can't miss the roof sign.  About halfway down past Tropicante there's an open market/ convenience store next to Karita's Coffee (worth a stop in and of itself).

On the street back of the malecon , Huachinango, next to the soccer field is the small store ran by Fernando of 100% Agave fame.  These stores may carry the actual bean but I don't know that for certain.  And if these folks are out or don't have 100% pure vanilla bean, the "concierge" at El Blanco Caballo or Steve Uhl and Tropicante can probably tell you where you might find it.

The Mexican government has "cracked down" a bit on the coumarin, but if the bottle doesn't say 100% pure, skip it despite the remarkably low price.

• 2 months later...

I don’t remember if it was Costa Maya or Cozumel on our last cruise but we always buy Los Cinco Soles vanilla at the port.  We been cruising for 20 yrs and always buy Los Cinco Soles.  No coumarin and delicious.  I don’t have any idea about buying beans.  Happy cruising. 

11 hours ago, must2cruz said:

I don’t remember if it was Costa Maya or Cozumel on our last cruise but we always buy Los Cinco Soles vanilla at the port.  We been cruising for 20 yrs and always buy Los Cinco Soles.  No coumarin and delicious.  I don’t have any idea about buying beans.  Happy cruising. 

Cozumel for Los Cinco Soles.