Surge Protectors

I could have sworn that in all my years of crusing, power strips were never allowed. But just to be sure....there’s a group of women going on the Mariner from a small business I am a part of. Some are posting that it’s okay to bring along the attached power strip with surge protector. Can someone confirm if these are okay or will they be confiscated? They are cruising on the Mariner. Also, can someone confirm that they do not need US power adapter converter for the outlets?

Thanks. 

3F6B1E27-AC39-4F97-8E88-272CFB3D97CB.png

It is the surge protector that is not allowed.  NON-surge protected strips are theoretically allowed, but the people checking your luggage may not care about the distinction and just take it.  There is a table as your depart, and you will see MANY MANY confiscated power strips on the table, for pickup.

(the one in your picture is NON-surge protected)

Each cabin has two american power outlets.  

• Thanks 1

If they want to charge electronics, I'd recommend getting a multi-USB port charger.  There are a gazillion different kinds available.  One electric plug gives you several USB charging ports, so you just need the USB cord and not the "block" for each one (the part that goes into the wall outlet).

I have warned people several times on different forums here about the "Cruise On" power strip, that claims it is "non-surge protected".  I was asked about this product by another CC member, and when I looked at the Amazon ad, lo and behold, the picture of the back of the device shows a "VPR 800 volts" (Voltage Protection Rating), which is a measure of effectiveness for surge protectors.  That CC member contacted "Cruise On" about the discrepancy in their advertising, and was told that the photo "was incorrect, and would be changed".  That was more than a year ago, and it's still there.  I would have my doubts about using this device onboard, since no one can give a straight answer as to whether it is surge protected or not.  It is not made by "cruise on", but by nton, who make both surge protected and non-surge protected devices.

For the OP, surge protectors, when used on ships, even when brand new, and operating 100% correctly, can fail and cause a fire, due to something completely out of your control, that happens at the other end of the ship.

Besides, RCI has banned all power strips, just to ensure compliance with no surge protectors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisTheDBA said:

We have our camera and tablets for reading, we need to be able to charge them. We have the following 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GJGVYX/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It is USB charging only and the wall plug is two prongs without a ground. I assume that means it can not be surge protected.

According to the Q&A for that product, it does have surge protection (if the answer is accurate).

43 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

According to the Q&A for that product, it does have surge protection (if the answer is accurate).

No, its not.  First off, as noted, it has only a two prong plug, so there is no connection to ground, which is required for surge protection, which dumps excessive voltage to ground.  The Q&A states that a capacitor shuts off the device when voltage gets too high, but will "reset" when unplugged.  This is overvoltage protection, which is different from surge protection, in that overvoltage protection will typically "burn through" and send damaging voltage to your device when voltages reach the "surge protection" levels (power surges, lightning strikes) above 300-400 volts.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, its not.  First off, as noted, it has only a two prong plug, so there is no connection to ground, which is required for surge protection, which dumps excessive voltage to ground.  The Q&A states that a capacitor shuts off the device when voltage gets too high, but will "reset" when unplugged.  This is overvoltage protection, which is different from surge protection, in that overvoltage protection will typically "burn through" and send damaging voltage to your device when voltages reach the "surge protection" levels (power surges, lightning strikes) above 300-400 volts.

I'm gonna go with the former cruise ship engineer and his experience over a comment on Amazon. and I have a backup plan anyway. 😀

8 hours ago, erby2283 said:

I could have sworn that in all my years of crusing, power strips were never allowed. But just to be sure....there’s a group of women going on the Mariner from a small business I am a part of. Some are posting that it’s okay to bring along the attached power strip with surge protector. Can someone confirm if these are okay or will they be confiscated? They are cruising on the Mariner. Also, can someone confirm that they do not need US power adapter converter for the outlets?

Thanks. 

We just came back from the Symphony of the Seas.  My brother inadvertently brought a surge strip with him. When we boarded he noticed he had only one of his luggage delivered to his room.  It took the rest of the day to find out where the other piece was.  Finally after dinner they went to guest services who suggested they go and check security.  Sure enough, that is where it was.  It was "dinged" because of the surge strip. He went all afternoon not knowing where his luggage was.  I brought a USB hub with me and had NO problems.

17 minutes ago, No Bananas said:

Okay. Can some one explain to me like I'm 5, and possibly Post an image of an acceptable wall charging unit that I will be able to use on Oasis of the Seas?

The one that came with your device.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, No Bananas said:

Okay. Can some one explain to me like I'm 5, and possibly Post an image of an acceptable wall charging unit that I will be able to use on Oasis of the Seas? I'm quite confused at this point. TIA.

If you  need to safely charge multiple devices:

From Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_4?crid=TGFE1CGP3TJ2&keywords=usb+charger+multi+port&qid=1556199574&s=gateway&sprefix=USB+Charger%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-4

image.thumb.png.e6b5136a68e3dac498c860a41e1abd0d.png

The reason I suggest the Top image charger instead of the following white one, is that in some locations, the plug is recessed or too close to a desk and prevent the charger to plug in.  I know it is more compact and easy to carry but does not always fit.

image.thumb.png.190e0ed41eca2fc61fd1e2eca48d3acd.png

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 1

We were just on the Adventure and our family had the Cruise On outlets and our cousins had the white Anker, both were allowed on and fit into the outlets.  Not sure if it makes a difference that our devices were in our carry-on bags and not the suitcases.

I had thought about the black Anker one shown above but read that extension cords were prohibited (as well as surge protectors) and didn't want to risk it.

Edited by Boblovespikachu

11 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Thanks. 

I have taken this exact same one on several cruises with no problem!

41 minutes ago, Boblovespikachu said:

We were just on the Adventure and our family had the Cruise On outlets and our cousins had the white Anker, both were allowed on and fit into the outlets.  Not sure if it makes a difference that our devices were in our carry-on bags and not the suitcases.

I had thought about the black Anker one shown above but read that extension cords were prohibited (as well as surge protectors) and didn't want to risk it.

5 minutes ago, staggr said:

I have taken this exact same one on several cruises with no problem!

Prior use on a ship does not equate to "safe to use". As I've said before, a perfectly fine surge protector can fail and catch fire with no warning and completely out of your control.

Also, getting it past security is no indication that it is allowed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Prior use on a ship does not equate to "safe to use". As I've said before, a perfectly fine surge protector can fail and catch fire with no warning and completely out of your control.

Some people's selfishness will never allow them to understand or care about the dangers of these devices. A while back you posted a very lengthy, detailed report about why surge protection devises are so dangerous on ships. I never knew the danger of those things until I read your post. Maybe (if you could find it) you could post it again to open some of these people's eyes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Okay. So as Posted in Post #15. I can use the 2 prong charging USB charger that came with my Android device. It seems that I should carry it in my carry on so the bag doesn't go to the naughty room. Thank you for taking the time to answer  

19 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Some people's selfishness will never allow them to understand or care about the dangers of these devices. A while back you posted a very lengthy, detailed report about why surge protection devises are so dangerous on ships. I never knew the danger of those things until I read your post. Maybe (if you could find it) you could post it again to open some of these people's eyes.

I would just like to add, so that it does not further confuse some readers, that when you say "these devices" you are talking about surge protected power strips and power bars that have multiple AC grounded plugs.  And not talking about USB chargers and multiple port USB chargers.

These are OK

image.png.e5d5f67639cc73cdb270854f62bdf3b3.png

image.png.a7713d1f07500ba56a197af120848e46.png

These are NOT OK

image.png.7287befd26efd816f02eb5a867bf183f.png

image.png.e7d93be2a3d3fdc1dcd4d0950b73c766.png

image.png

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 1