comedy shows for minor

3shar

Question about the comedy shows. I know there is mention of being the "adult" show in the evenings. How strict are they on age? My daughter will be 17 1/2 and would want to go with her brothers that are a little older. I have no issue with her going she certainly hears worse things at school haha. Does anyone have an experience with this? Staying in Star class suite so I dont know if the Genie would be able to make this happen also.

• Clarea changed the title to comedy shows for minor

I know that they announced that it was 18 or over but I don't think that they checked IDs at all. I think it's more of a CYA thing, they make the announcement and then you can't complain that your child heard some dirty words.

They don't check ID's.  Some comedians will make a comment about kids or warn parents sternly that the content really isn't for kids, but we're talking younger, like 12 or even less if they see them in the audience.  We had one who said when he sees kids and tells parents that his show isn't for them, he'll get even raunchier in the show basically to prove a point.   17 isn't a problem.  We've had adult comedians just cuss a lot, others make lots of sexual comments and some just mix language in with more adult topics.  You never know and as long as you're okay sitting with your daughter through it, then no issue.  

I believe it depends on what you are considering the adult show. If you are referring to the late show in the main theater, then I don’t think you would have a problem, as others have pointed out.

If you are referring to the comedy club on an Oasis class ship then you might have a problem. Comedy club is adults only. You need a reservation for admit and Seapass cards are scanned to enter.  Not sure if she would be allowed entry - it’s been a while but I have read that under 18 were denied access. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I believe it depends on what you are considering the adult show. If you are referring to the late show in the main theater, then I don’t think you would have a problem, as others have pointed out.

If you are referring to the comedy club on an Oasis class ship then you might have a problem. Comedy club is adults only. You need a reservation for admit and Seapass cards are scanned to enter.  Not sure if she would be allowed entry - it’s been a while but I have read that under 18 were denied access. 

I know that minors cannot get pre-cruise reservations to the comedy show, but seeing that the OP is in Star Class, I figured the genie could reserve seats.

The only thing I am pre booking because we have the Genie is the comedy shows. I just tried and you are correct it will not let me add her. Hoping the Genie may be able to modify on ship 

1 hour ago, 3shar said:

Question about the comedy shows. I know there is mention of being the "adult" show in the evenings. How strict are they on age? My daughter will be 17 1/2 and would want to go with her brothers that are a little older. I have no issue with her going she certainly hears worse things at school haha. Does anyone have an experience with this? Staying in Star class suite so I dont know if the Genie would be able to make this happen also.

Some are pretty raw and would not have been heard anywhere. Not even in school. I don't think my 17 yr old would want to sit with her brothers during that show.

13 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Some are pretty raw and would not have been heard anywhere. Not even in school. I don't think my 17 yr old would want to sit with her brothers during that show.

I don't think there is much (if anything) that 17 year old in high school have not heard that would be in even the dirtiest comedy show. I know back when I was in HS, we had heard all that stuff many many times. And that was way before the internet. 

• Like 2

Heck it was probably late middle school when I got my first exposure to adult stand up comedy. Had several Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor tapes just to name a couple. With much worse stuff than that easily accessible on the internet, I think it is pretty easy to conclude that most all 17 year olds have already been exposed to some very adult subjects. 

7 minutes ago, TravisP said:

I don't think there is much (if anything) that 17 year old in high school have not heard that would be in even the dirtiest comedy show. I know back when I was in HS, we had heard all that stuff many many times. And that was way before the internet. 

The point really isn't that the kid has heard the language before.  A lot of 5 year olds have heard swearing, but that doesn't mean they need to listen to an adult comedy show.  At 17, that's so borderline in terms of being old enough, but as another poster basically said, sitting next to her brothers might not be all that comfortable.  There are family friendly comedy shows also.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

This reminded me of our Allure trip a few months ago.  My sister-in-law, late 60’s, was with us and was very uncomfortable.  I thought the comedians where hysterical, but one went a bit rouge and started talking to a couple in the audience and the jokes got really graphic and I got uncomfortable.

i tell the op this only because someone might hear the routine one night and it would be ok and another show might be too much.

Just now, BND said:

The point really isn't that the kid has heard the language before.  A lot of 5 year olds have heard swearing, but that doesn't mean they need to listen to an adult comedy show.  At 17, that's so borderline in terms of being old enough, but as another poster basically said, sitting next to her brothers might not be all that comfortable.  There are family friendly comedy shows also.  

The point of my post was not to say if it would be OK or not. My point was that it is naive to think that 17 year olds have not heard the things that would be said in an adult comedy show. 

3 minutes ago, TravisP said:

The point of my post was not to say if it would be OK or not. My point was that it is naive to think that 17 year olds have not heard the things that would be said in an adult comedy show. 

I don't think anyone thinks a 17 year old hasn't heard the language before, but that doesn't mean they need to be there.  We've had some really raunchy comedians who've made the whole audience uncomfortable.  We've also had some that we've tried to figure out what made their show an adult one.  I know at 17, I had heard the language, but there were still some things that I was a bit naive about and would have very embarassed to be sitting there with my siblings or parents.

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, BND said:

I don't think anyone thinks a 17 year old hasn't heard the language before, but that doesn't mean they need to be there.  We've had some really raunchy comedians who've made the whole audience uncomfortable.  We've also had some that we've tried to figure out what made their show and adult one.  I know at 17, I had heard the language, but there were still some things that I was a bit naive about and would have very embarassed to be sitting there with my siblings or parents.

Again, my post has zero to do with it being OK or not. If you read the post I quoted, you would see that I was responding to someone who said they do not believe kids in HS have heard the things that are said in an adult comedy show. 

41 minutes ago, 3shar said:

The only thing I am pre booking because we have the Genie is the comedy shows. I just tried and you are correct it will not let me add her. Hoping the Genie may be able to modify on ship 

There are other comedy shows in the main theater, even the late night one, which  she might enjoy and are not so age specific and she can attend. Frequently the later ones have bad language and adult topics.

The comedy club is for adults.  Material covered is often pretty strong and because of the small, intimate venue seems more personal.  Comedian often zeros in on audience members - he or she is not on a large, theater style stage. It can become very personal.  

Why ask the concierge/genie to break the rules - always feel it’s unfortunate and makes the concierge’s job difficult when people think rules  don’t apply to them. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Underage audience members can make the rest of the audience uneasy.  It's not just about "can I get away with it?"

It wouldn't make me uneasy at all. Not my circus, not my monkeys. If their parents are okay with it then it's completely on them.

• Like 3

Can't adults have someplace where it is just adults? Why must people always want to ask for 'exceptions' to the stated rules? 

In the kids club - 'my child is too mature for their age group! Can they move up?'

In the Diamond Lounge - ' I'm travelling with my adult kids - can I bring them in even though I know the rule says no?'

In the Solarium Pool - ' 14 year old Suzie is very quiet and mature for her age,  why can't she come with me?'

What ever happened to the concept that a company/organization/school sets rules and people follow them as written? If you don't like the rules, spend your money elsewhere. 

This is not really aimed at the OP here - just that lately there have been SO many threads with people looking to circumvent around the stated rules. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TravisP said:

Again, my post has zero to do with it being OK or not. If you read the post I quoted, you would see that I was responding to someone who said they do not believe kids in HS have heard the things that are said in an adult comedy show. 

Depends on who your friends were in HS. If they were gutter mouth, they heard it. If not, they didn't

Trust me. You obviously haven't heard some of what I have in some of the late night adult comedy. Swearing is the least of the problem with an under age attending

Edited by cruisinfanatic

11 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Depends on who your friends were in HS. If they were gutter mouth, they heard it. If not, they didn't

Trust me. You obviously haven't heard some of what I have in some of the late night adult comedy. Swearing is the least of the problem with an under age attending

I guarantee you most all 17 year old have heard all of it. No doubt in my mind. 

But again, I am not saying it is OK or not for them to attend show. Just stating the facts. 

Ok remind me not to ask a question again. I was purely asking about the age and if they stick to it? It really is up to MY discretion what my children see and hear. I know my daughter and know what she and the rest of us would be comfortable with. A simple no that they stick to the age limit would have been sufficient. It was not my intent to cause a verbal battle online

• Like 1