Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

59 minutes ago, FalklandIslander said:

Does anyone know when Meyer Turku will start joining blocks together?

I think you mix this up with the Odyssey of the Seas... Meyer (Papenburg) is currently building two mega blocks. So as soon as the Iona (for P&O) has left the building hall they two Odyssey blocks (one is outside, the other one inside) will be "married".

Meyer Turku is currently building the Mardi Gras (Carnival) and the Costa Toscana (Costa). Both are LNG fueled.

steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

I think you mix this up with the Odyssey of the Seas... Meyer (Papenburg) is currently building two mega blocks. So as soon as the Iona (for P&O) has left the building hall they two Odyssey blocks (one is outside, the other one inside) will be "married".

Meyer Turku is currently building the Mardi Gras (Carnival) and the Costa Toscana (Costa). Both are LNG fueled.

Edited by FalklandIslander

Thanks steamboats.  I’m not sure why you think I’ve mixed up Icon and Odyssey.  Do you mean that Icon won’t be built by Meyer Turku or do you mean that I’ve asked too early?  If they are about to start joining up Odyssey, then I guess that means that about a year or so from now they’ll start to join up Icon.

14 minutes ago, FalklandIslander said:

Thanks steamboats.  I’m not sure why you think I’ve mixed up Icon and Odyssey.  Do you mean that Icon won’t be built by Meyer Turku or do you mean that I’ve asked too early?  If they are about to start joining up Odyssey, then I guess that means that about a year or so from now they’ll start to join up Icon.

The two mega blocks of Odyssey of the Seas' - under construction at Meyer Werft in Papenburg - will be joined some time in February when the P&O Iona is floated out.

Icon of the Seas' construction at Meyer Turku is 'supposed' to start in the spring.

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

... and Mardi Gras is looking great. 

Looking forward to the start of Icon's build.

Lloyd - Thanks for sharing this photo. I think I see my Aft Balcony Cabin :classic_biggrin:

Also looking forward to more on Icon.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

9 hours ago, rolloman said:

I am hoping ICON comes to Port Canaveral. Royal will need to put something here to compete with Carnival Mardi Gras (LNG fueled ship) and the new Disney ships. PC is the number 2 cruise port in the world.....

Maybe they'll move a Quantum Class down there (yes, I know they're traditionally thought of as colder weather ships), and bring the Icon to New York.  There isn't a Quantum Class leaving out of Florida, so it'll be like bringing a new ship to the market.

We love our Anthem of the Seas, but we'd love to have Icon come out of New York.

Edited by Overtyme
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Overtyme said:

There isn't a Quantum Class leaving out of Florida, so it'll be like bringing a new ship to the market.

We love our Anthem of the Seas, but we'd love to have Icon come out of New York.

Odyssey OTS will be sailing from Fort Lauderdale, FL when it launches later this year.    

10 hours ago, FalklandIslander said:

Odyssey is built in Papenburg. Icon will be built in Turku. But they haven´t started yet as there are still two other ships under construction there. And currently I´m not sure whether they do use the mega block technique to build the ships in Turku too. There they don´t have a building hall. Those mega blocks are used in Papenburg as the hall is big enough for one ship and one mega block. So as you were asking when they will join the mega blocks of the first Icon ship I thought you might mix it up with the Odyssey mega blocks which are supposed to be "married" in February.

steamboats

Port Canaveral has LNG and is the 2nd largest port in the world.  All new competitor ships (Disney Wish, Carnival Mardi Gras) will use the LNG fuel. Royal has the new terminal which currently is home to the largest ships. If history is any indicator, Royal will have to bring in a new equivalent to match these new competitor ships. ICON fits the timing and strategy. I am not sure ICON will fit in NY..limited itineraries, navigational issues. I guess we shall wait and see..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

Port Canaveral has LNG and is the 2nd largest port in the world.  All new competitor ships (Disney Wish, Carnival Mardi Gras) will use the LNG fuel. Royal has the new terminal which currently is home to the largest ships. If history is any indicator, Royal will have to bring in a new equivalent to match these new competitor ships. ICON fits the timing and strategy. I am not sure ICON will fit in NY..limited itineraries, navigational issues. I guess we shall wait and see..... 

Port Canaveral is not the second biggest port in the world, in fact it is very far away from that. It might be the second busiest cruise port in the US, but always close to Port Everglades.

Cruise lines decide about their deployment not mainly based on the goal to compete with other lines in specific ports. And Harmony is still not that bad for PC.

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Port Canaveral is not the second biggest port in the world, in fact it is very far away from that. It might be the second busiest cruise port in the US, but always close to Port Everglades.

Cruise lines decide about their deployment not mainly based on the goal to compete with other lines in specific ports. And Harmony is still not that bad for PC.

biggest / busiest...sorry I didn't frame it the way you wanted me to. The upside is...you understood what I was saying.  Secondly, nobody mentioned anything about the Harmony going away. However what was mentioned was an opinion with multiple reasons why Port Canaveral "could" be the homeport of ICON. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if this will have an impact on Icon being built there:

Meyer Turku said it had negotiations about temporary layoffs in the middle of March, which has since been compounded by the coronavirus pandemic.

This will lead to the permanent layoff of 450 people and another 900 are affected by other measures, the yard said.

These include temporary layoffs of different length, work time adjustments and other arrangements. All personnel groups and levels are part of the negotiations.

“The corona pandemic has changed the situation unexpectedly and totally. We are facing the fact that the corona-caused pause in cruising requires to stretch the orderbook. We are currently discussing the details with our customers. This new situation will force us to take painful adaptation measures to secure a sustainable future for Finnish cruise ship building and the network,"  said Jan Meyer, CEO.

“Our preparations have been for the future. Now unexpectedly that future has changed and we have to adjust to that new future. Instead of a further ramp-up from one to two large ships delivered per year until 2023, the estimation is now that Turku shipyard will in the future build one large cruise ship per year and not further ramp-up.”

The exact changes to the building and delivery times of the seven ships in Meyer Turku orderbook (formerly reaching until 2025) are still under negotiations with the shipyard’s customers.

The yard also reported a loss for 2019, citing the delayed delivery of the Costa Smeralda.

Has there been any mention of a delay in Icon 1?

I saw an article where some one from Royal Caribbea  said they still expected Wonder and Odyssey to be completed broadly on schedule (might be a little late due to shipyard issues) .

Icon is at a very early stage so there must be a chance they will delay her due to financial issues.

14 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Has there been any mention of a delay in Icon 1?

Meyer Turku will deliver it in time... it´s up to RCI whether they want it in time...

But it´s way too early to tell anything. They haven´t even started construction in Turku. They still have to finish the Mardi Gras and then they can start the Icon. There´s another Costa ship under construction in Turku right now.

steamboats

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I can't even see the Icon on the radar for Royal at this time

The ship doesn't get an AIS transponder till maybe a couple of months before initial sea trials, so I wouldn't expect that till early 2022.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure how one can be so sure about this after Mardi Gras and Costa Smeralda.

Not talking about any delays due to construction... If RCI wants it at the time they´ve ordered it for they will try to deliver it on time. If RCI say they want it later... then the will delay the construction.

steamboats