Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes but given possible delays with the other two as well as recovering from Covid and other stuff, I feel Icon should be pushed back - just my opinion. 

Contracts may deem otherwise.  Big contracts tend to have big penalties for changing your mind, pandemic or no pandemic.  

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Contracts may deem otherwise.  Big contracts tend to have big penalties for changing your mind, pandemic or no pandemic.  

aw well time will tell.

Meanwhile I keep watching my DVD of love boat and hoping for my rescheduled New Zealand cruise on Majestic Princes that I switched to Sky Princess for November.  NZ I think will stay closed.  I booked it after reading your review of your wonderful Ovation cruise out of Sydney.  You were lucky to get it in. and lucky to get back home from the Allure trip across the Atlantic.  You I know must have as many cancelled cruises so far this year.  I am up to 7 spread out over 4 cruise lines.  Getting air fare back once I hear of cancels.  Last one was DCL Fantasy 4 day.

I hope I get to do southern trip on Odyssey in April of 2021 or in July of 2021 from Rome to Greece. Got B2B on that one.  Can't wait to see how Seaplex will look now as well as the back of ship with the large yellow bouncy area. hmmmm

toodles

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw well time will tell.

Meanwhile I keep watching my DVD of love boat and hoping for my rescheduled New Zealand cruise on Majestic Princes that I switched to Sky Princess for November.  NZ I think will stay closed.  I booked it after reading your review of your wonderful Ovation cruise out of Sydney.  You were lucky to get it in. and lucky to get back home from the Allure trip across the Atlantic.  You I know must have as many cancelled cruises so far this year.  I am up to 7 spread out over 4 cruise lines.  Getting air fare back once I hear of cancels.  Last one was DCL Fantasy 4 day.

I hope I get to do southern trip on Odyssey in April of 2021 or in July of 2021 from Rome to Greece. Got B2B on that one.  Can't wait to see how Seaplex will look now as well as the back of ship with the large yellow bouncy area. hmmmm

toodles

Indeed.  So glad I was able to get Ovation to NZ done in February knowing now what we do know about the virus.  

Lamenting the four Odyssey November sailings I expect to lose with construction delays.  Hoping she will still sail a transatlantic to Rome and the subsequent Greek cruise otherwise I may lose another two on her.  Then there is Iceland and Alaska in June.  Really need a vaccine to become available and soon.  Royal needs the vaccine more than I do.  

Time will tell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Indeed.  So glad I was able to get Ovation to NZ done in February knowing now what we do know about the virus.  

Lamenting the four Odyssey November sailings I expect to lose with construction delays.  Hoping she will still sail a transatlantic to Rome and the subsequent Greek cruise otherwise I may lose another two on her.  Then there is Iceland and Alaska in June.  Really need a vaccine to become available and soon.  Royal needs the vaccine more than I do.  

Time will tell. 

We are booked on Jewel to iceland in June next year- is that the cruise you are doing?

We have Allure booked for August next year and recently booked Odyssey for January 2022.

Have to help keep Royal afloat lol!

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yes.  Just upgraded my cabin today.  

I booked this almost as soon as the itinerary was released and the price has never gone lower than I initially paid (we live in the UK).

We have a corner aft balcony booked on deck 8 - looking forward to some spectacular views from there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Yes.  Just upgraded my cabin today.  

I know this is RCI thread, but check out 2022 NCL Star.

She is doing r/t out of Iceland and also goes to Greenland. No having to sail from UK or continent of Europe.

I have been hoping for this.

I was supposed to see Iceland in Aug this year on HAL Statendam but it would have left from Amsterdam and included Norway.

So NCL trying new itineraries for Iceland. Just sharing ideas for travel.

• Like 2

I wonder how the layoffs will affect this build.

Right now, with no end in sight to the freeze on cruising in the US, there’s probably no rush to complete this work.

it costs money to keep these ships running even when there are no guests.

10 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

OK, so here's a better view of those keel sections in the foreground, in front of Carnival Mardi Gras. 🙂

📷 Janne-Petteri Kumpulainen

729595073_Janne-PetteriKumpulainen1.thumb.jpg.446df73bfdd62b86e8b4cf79a68da468.jpg

Thanks for the Mardi Gras pic. Looking forward to see her sailing out of PC soon

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Thanks for the Mardi Gras pic. Looking forward to see her sailing out of PC soon

I'm tempted to give her a whirl at some point. Aft suite area looks inviting. 

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, Lloyd555 said:

Icon of the Seas blocks are in the house!

Well, I can see one of them in the foreground anyhow. 

salam icon keel block in yard.jpg

Thanks for the update Lloyd!

What do you suppose the 3-tiered structure is in the backround after the pieces of the hull?

It would seem early to have a piece like that for Icon all set to go.  I would expect more hull pieces to come.

It will be interesting to see the pictures after the first few blocks are laid and can be compared to similar photos of the first few blocks of Quantum class and Oasis class to get an idea of whether she will be closer to the 230 GT or the 200 GT that we have seen posted

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It will be interesting to see the pictures after the first few blocks are laid and can be compared to similar photos of the first few blocks of Quantum class and Oasis class to get an idea of whether she will be closer to the 230 GT or the 200 GT that we have seen posted

I still think it be pretty hard to judge at this stage of the construction process. Probably in a year's time, it would start to take shape.

1 minute ago, Ethanol95 said:

I still think it be pretty hard to judge at this stage of the construction process. Probably in a year's time, it would start to take shape.

Assuming they don't delay her itineraries too much, her deck plan may be available once bookings open for 2022-23 at the end of this year - that may provide some clue. Of course RCI marketing may preempt all that with an announcement in which some details may come out.

12 minutes ago, Overtyme said:

Thanks for the update Lloyd!

What do you suppose the 3-tiered structure is in the backround after the pieces of the hull?

It would seem early to have a piece like that for Icon all set to go.  I would expect more hull pieces to come.

That block most likely belongs to Costa Toscana which is being built behind the Mardi Gras. 

20200703_090316.thumb.jpg.0eef9a7a4c2514bedffddb1e10729f1f.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

I think the width will be a giveaway.  Not sure they could get to 230 GT without being as wide as OA class where 200 GT could be significantly narrower.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think the width will be a giveaway.  Not sure they could get to 230 GT without being as wide as OA class where 200 GT could be significantly narrower.

I’m not sure.  A lot of Oasis is open space, with boardwalk and Central Park.

that said, if they go tall, they must go wide.

Time (or more recent plans will reveal the truth.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Depends on the amount of open space is my guess. Oasis would be a lot bigger if CP & BW were enclosed areas

• Like 1